• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• King Matt

• ST#97

• stevepoe

• robbodleimages

Just curious, but why should we expect lap times to decrease by more then 2 seconds?

I'm not aware of lap times falling by over 2 seconds in AI all over the country. So what has changed that makes people believe they will drop so much this year at MO? I'm not aware of any signigicant rule changes. This isn't a new track.

partially, It's a goal to achieve, some is sh!t talking a bit, some is rooted in what appears to be MUCH lower lap times with some cars on the west coast and the fact there are some drivers making other regional events to use as a comparison.

If the fast times last year were 35.9's....I am setting my goal at 34.5. Seeing the cars that were running 1,2,3 last year, I think it's very doable with a car that is built approaching the limits of the rules....however, I only have a couple months to get there!

Only time will tell for sure but I intend to prove my point in September!

Positive thinking can go a long way, and nothing wrong with some smack talk, but I'm a little confused with the lap time chatter.

Just to set the record straight, 1:36 (technically 1:35.9 and 1:36.1, Luna and Andrew, respectively) was only achieved in two laps the entire week last year, and they were both run the same Firday morning qualifiying session (cool air, sticky track). The lowest times after that were upper 36's and low 37's. Not saying it's impossible, but I'd be shocked to see anything lower then mid 35's, and I wouldn't be surprised to see low 36's as the mark.

Just curious, but why should we expect lap times to decrease by more then 2 seconds?

I'm not aware of lap times falling by over 2 seconds in AI all over the country. So what has changed that makes people believe they will drop so much this year at MO? I'm not aware of any signigicant rule changes. This isn't a new track.

partially, It's a goal to achieve, some is sh!t talking a bit, some is rooted in what appears to be MUCH lower lap times with some cars on the west coast and the fact there are some drivers making other regional events to use as a comparison.

If the fast times last year were 35.9's....I am setting my goal at 34.5. Seeing the cars that were running 1,2,3 last year, I think it's very doable with a car that is built approaching the limits of the rules....however, I only have a couple months to get there!

Only time will tell for sure but I intend to prove my point in September!

Positive thinking can go a long way, and nothing wrong with some smack talk, but I'm a little confused with the lap time chatter.

Just to set the record straight, 1:36 (technically 1:35.9 and 1:36.1, Luna and Andrew, respectively) was only achieved in two laps the entire week last year, and they were both run the same Firday morning qualifiying session (cool air, sticky track). The lowest times after that were upper 36's and low 37's. Not saying it's impossible, but I'd be shocked to see anything lower then mid 35's, and I wouldn't be surprised to see low 36's as the mark.

Dave, Dave, Dave.... Don't you realize that an 18" wheel that has more rotating mass with the same exact tire width (contact patch) will drop your times by 1- 2 seconds over a 17" wheel? Don't even get me started what would happen if you tried the special "staggered" tires. I also think that as the newly paved track gets rougher from bumps over the years that tires will adhere to the imperfections better - kind of like sandpaper on rubber.

Dave, Dave, Dave.... Don't you realize that an 18" wheel that has more rotating mass with the same exact tire width (contact patch) will drop your times by 1- 2 seconds over a 17" wheel? Don't even get me started what would happen if you tried the special "staggered" tires. I also think that as the newly paved track gets rougher from bumps over the years that tires will adhere to the imperfections better - kind of like sandpaper on rubber.

There you go Chris......stirring the pot. I was trying to remain positive and be friendly. You know, like I usually am...

Edited by Guest

Heck, I am trying to find a way to run 16" wheels with the same 13" brakes!

Track surface looked perfect at the Rolex race a few weeks ago...hope it still is in a few weeks too! Maybe it will rain too?! I wouldn't mind that at all!

There you go Chris......stirring the pot. I was trying to remain positive and be friendly. You know, like I usually am...

Chris, I forgot to ask, where can I get a set of the special "staggered" tires?

Leave it to Griswold to quote "Day's of Thunder". He is from Wisconsin you know....

For comparisons sake. Last year everyone talked about hoping to be in the high 36's at Nationals. A bunch of cars were almost a second quicker.

Has anyone noticed any faster lap times at any races this year? Last year the times were dropping at most races and that trend continued to Nationals. We'll see if that trend follows this year.

I ran at Autobahn last weekend but was slower because parts kept falling off my car. That and a raccoon ran out in front of me going into turn S4 scaring the crap out of me.