2009 Nationals in Utah?

116svvh

Your talking about NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS here it's not about racing with the same guys on the same tracks all year ! So what if there's not that many GTS cars on the west coast, you'll get to race for a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP on a track that most of you have never driven that should even out the field and show who's really the best in the nation not someone who drives on a home track month after month and year after year. In the 1960's they would have the runoff's at Riverside one year and Daytona the next year

everyone that could go went it didn't matter who you were racing against you were racing for a championship.

It made it more fair when the traveling changed from coast to coast each year and by the way MILLER isn't that close to the west coast. And for the few of you that think MILLER looks BORING you don't have a clue what your talking about i raced there two years ago and it's hard to learn alot of turns look the same as you inter them if you don't remember were your at you'll be cleaning dirt out of your car, suit, and anything else

you can think of. It's a thinking drivers track in order tobe fast there ! A real racer will race anything on any track anywere anytime My two cents Thanks, Joe

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bmw22

• benny

• 116svvh

• 911.racer

Joecat:

Have you been running Nationals the last 3 years? For me, the distance, the cost, and the time from my family and my business combined to make it a no go. There is simply no way I can be gone 8-10 days for a race...even Nationals. This became the opinion of many of the GTS races very quickly. I resigned myself to not running in nationals the next two years. When the oppurtunity to run in the east became available the idea took off.

Mike

I'm not too close to what's going on w/ SCCA these days, but it seems to me that the ARRC "final" at Road Atlanta is filling a gap created when the runoffs moved to Kansas... much as a GTS Oktoberfest event back East could fill a gap too while the West regions build their momentum, and it could continue to exist as a "divisional" semi-final, a super-regional championship or whatever in later years. GTS has established an outstanding, highly competitive racing environment with a simple but effective rule set, and it has the potential to become one of the pre-eminent amateur series in the country (at least in the 13/13 crowd). That would mean we'd be able to draw more people to more and bigger events as time goes on.

In the mean time, I personally don't think I care as much about whether a 2009 trophy would say "NASA National Champion" vs. "Oktoberfest Koenig" - if either came on the heels of some clean, fun and hard-fought battles on the track and great camaraderie in the paddock, then WOOHOO! And if stars aligned where I could take a run at both (by going to MMP for the family's "summer vacation"), then that's a real WOOOHOO!!!

A main concern that many have talked about is that a MMP National in '09 wouldn't necessarily draw the country's top GTS competitors. That doesn't mean that there still wouldn't be good racing at MMP (I haven't driven there but it looks like a really fun track to me, and btw SLC is actually a really nice city), even if GTS winds up mixed up with some other groups. However, it would be great to have it become a true National championship for a truly National series...

My hope is that some of the early "red mist" on this issue will dissipate quickly and that GTS and NASA successfully wrap up '08 while gearing up for an even better '09.

The ARRC is where the Regional classes go to race for a championship (not official, but accepted as such by the drivers). The National classes still go to the Run-Offs to decide their National championship.

It is hard to imagine a peaceful coexistence between NASA and GTS under the current circumstances. If NASA's goal is to grow GTS and other series by holding Nationals on the west coast and GTS and others defect, it seems to defeat the purpose. Before we detach from the mother ship perhaps NASA can help negotiate vehicle shipping, discounted fights, shuttle service, discounted lodging, and some pool rental cars while at the track. Just a thought.

• Members

We already do that in the SE - it is a regional decision, most national carriers can't get as good a quote as a regional carrier. The best deal would be to get a group of racers in your region to get together and fill a truck. Works marvelously for us in the SE...

H*ll!! if us rednecks can do it, anybody can!

We already do that in the SE - it is a regional decision, most national carriers can't get as good a quote as a regional carrier. The best deal would be to get a group of racers in your region to get together and fill a truck. Works marvelously for us in the SE...

H*ll!! if us rednecks can do it, anybody can!

Do you use an enclosed carrier? what about all the spares/tools/multiple sets of tires and wheels etc. ? Just trying to see how it all works and if its cost effective.

Thanks, Scott B.

Mike mikew 968, i've towed from So Cal. to Road Alanta nonstop, So Cal. to Mosport Park, So Cal. to Mid- Ohio, and on and on more than once through the years and i'm not a rich person i just love to race it's in my

blood. I know everyone can't make the trip to a race for whatever reason but when a hole race group wants

to drop there national championship for some of the reasons i see posted is wrong. Its like if you don't have

the championships were we want them were going to take our toys and stay home ! And for GTS3 _ 145

Utah is not on the west coast check it out on a map.

P.S. I hope ya'll work it out it be fun to race with you

Joe Catron

Director of nothing

Joe, I was just trying to be helpful and hold what is a great series together; no need to insult. My reference to the west coast was just to make a point and probably stemmed from my conversations with other GTS's on NASA's intentions. Thanks to Jim and others who have some experience with shipping.

My hope is that Mark and NASA reach an agreement that is beneficial to all.

Regards,

Doug Pascarella (GTS3-145)

GTS Director, Mid-Atlantic

I think GTS and NASA are in discussions to resolve these issues. That doesn't really change where I personally stand as I just can't leave the family and my business for 6-9 days or what ever it would be. I would rather race once per month all season than 1/2 that so I can do nationals. Again maybe I am spoiled because it is in our backyard (or was). I think group transportation might be the only answer for the time portion of the issues and then one has to make the economics work.

Mike