2010 Rules Clarifications and Feedback Thread

b_tone

Todd, my only comment is in regard to 7.9.2

7.9.2 AI cars must use synchromesh-type transmissions with synchros as delivered from the vendor on

all forward gears. Transmissions must be available to the public for under $4500 suggested racer

net as raced, excluding the shifter mechanism. Non-synchro transmissions such as Jericos are not

allowed in AI.

So with this rule in place you have just made the FR500C 6-speed transmission illegal as that transmission is roughly $7.5k-8k. Is this a correct statement?

MUSTANG FR500C T-56 TREMEC RACE TRANSMISSION - M-7003-T56R

Service replacement for the Mustang FR500C race car Features improved durability and road race gearing Gear ratios starting with first are: 2.29, 1.61, 1.22, 1.00, .85, and .75

Price : $7,999.00

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tacovini

• nape

• ST#97

• King Matt

Since we all know what the issues are with the Ford racing ABS, and the fact the older units are tuneable... what action's are going to be in forced when there is no way to tell, or they have no proof?

And the dash rule Let me get my duct tape out It should have been a modified stock dash rule like CMC. Not an easy thing for some i know, but make it by 2012!

Todd, my only comment is in regard to 7.9.2
7.9.2 AI cars must use synchromesh-type transmissions with synchros as delivered from the vendor on

all forward gears. Transmissions must be available to the public for under $4500 suggested racer

net as raced, excluding the shifter mechanism. Non-synchro transmissions such as Jericos are not

allowed in AI.

So with this rule in place you have just made the FR500C 6-speed transmission illegal as that transmission is roughly $7.5k-8k. Is this a correct statement?

MUSTANG FR500C T-56 TREMEC RACE TRANSMISSION - M-7003-T56R

Service replacement for the Mustang FR500C race car Features improved durability and road race gearing Gear ratios starting with first are: 2.29, 1.61, 1.22, 1.00, .85, and .75

Price : $7,999.00

Yes, you are correct.

huh oh...I had not even consider this. I am done. Thats my transmission and a spare one in the garage. Bought them rebuilt for less than a used 6060. I am screwed as they say.

Oh well. No AI for me this season.

huh oh...I had not even consider this. I am done. Thats my transmission and a spare one in the garage. Bought them rebuilt for less than a used 6060. I am screwed as they say.

oh well you must not really want to race in AI Then, since you have next nothing in them why not sell them?The money you get for them should allow you to get a tr6060 or a tko 500 ,600 It's not like your going to be out cash if you got that good a deal on them.

ok. if you say so. selling expensive stuff in this marketplace is easier said than done for starters. its a reason why i got the spare trans for so little.

i have a fledgling Grand Am GS program on a shoestring trying to start up. I either race that car or a I build an AI car with parts that can be used in both GS and NASA programs.

I thought the issues with that plan was going to be 14" brakes, 18" wheels, and the ABS.

It never accured to me that the tremec would be an issue.

This is not a long term issue for me, but its a problem for this season.

Rob, where are you finding an $8K transmission for under $2500? I know a few Grand Am teams that would like to have that information....

I'd rather not say. It was someone that no longer raced the GS Mustangs and had a lot of spares left over that he needed to sell. The supply that I bought from has been cleaned out, but there was at least one other former Mustang team that had a lot of spares at 50 cents on the dollar.

Rob, I'm sure you can dump those boxes to Koni "cough" Continental Teams.

found this , I've bought many things from this guy and Just a hint, make a offer. he is very very negotiable on his stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-GT500-Shelby-TR6060-TREMEC-6-Spd-Trans-NEW_W0QQitemZ360153495903QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53dad2395f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited by Guest

thanx steve. remember i am a koni "cough" continental team which is why i bought those boxes to start with. right?

thanks for the heads up, though.

Please clarify that the required jet size documentation on the dyno cert is for comparison or base line purposes and not a mandate of how the car is to be run. Clearly a 50 degree day will require a different jet to a 100 degree day or a track at altitude.

Ross Murray AI 74

That's what I was wondering too Ross!

Like last time at T-hill the DA was 200 feet, my car was "real lean" and needed at least 2-4 jet sizes to level fuel-air ratio. If the dyno sheet shows fuel-air, what's the diff if we go up for fuel-air ratio reasons, instead of frying a valve or holing a piston.

This is getting silly from people that don't have any ideas of carbs.

Fuel pressure also, Holley recommends 5-8 or so, it's not like efi.

• 2 weeks later...

The real problem is the dyno is too big of a moving target and too easy to cheat (on the rare occassion it is called into service). Get rid of the dyno and adopt a way of regulating compliance that actually works. Now is the time to make wholesale changes to the series and instead we're pussy-footing around. The writing on the wall says AI is destined to die a slow, painful death or struggle on as a very amatuer series in which winning doesn't mean much. I love AI as much as any of you, but this rules "change" is about as satisfying as throwing a hotdog down a hallway... if you get my drift.

The writing on the wall says AI is destined to die a slow, painful death or struggle on as a very amatuer series in which winning doesn't mean much.

Pat, I may be wrong here, but I thought I was racing AI because it was an amateur series. If I had the money/talent to go race at a higher level, I probably would.

No matter how well we drive, fast we are, etc, I don't think we'll get the call to go drive for Penske, Rahal-Letterman, or anyone else. This is supposed to be amateurs having fun racing, or did I miss a memo?

Now is the time to make wholesale changes to the series and instead we're pussy-footing around.

We've posted the current AI State of the Union.

We've deliberated & delivered the 2010 rules, which are a solid foundation to build on.

In the coming week(s), you'll see the rules clarifications & reasonings along with our 3-5 year plans for the future.

I've organized the forum a bit and have tried to capture all clarification requests so that I can post everything up in one document.

We'll begin 2010 with a clear vision of where we're going.

American Iron Racing is alive and well!!!

Stay tuned...

-=- Todd Covini

Todd, I applaude your efforts along with everyone involved. It's clear that you guys are investing a lot of your valuable time and effort into the series which is exactly what it needs. The thing is, and I'm trying not to sound like an ass here, without ways to level the playing field and to enforce compliance... the "better" teams, for lack of a different word, will look for other series to showcase their talent. And "better" isn't defined as having a larger pocket book, but rather talent and exceptional preparation. I just saw this happen in World Challenge as we lost a manufacturer due to lack of enforcment of the rules as well as a lack of communication. AI is an amatuer series, but that's no reason for the directors and participants to expect an "amatuer" level of officiating or racing. We should all raise our expectations a little. Afterall, it's free.

You guys did an amazing job at Nationals and I wish all the regional events were officiated that well. The sad truth is that'd be very difficult because of the way we are forced to comply with the weight:power levels. It just doesn't work and it won't get better until the rules change.

....without ways to level the playing field and to enforce compliance....

Ve have Vays....

boris_natasha_fearless.jpg

We all DO have to raise our expectations a bit.

The expectations of regional series directors has been increased.

The expectations of competitors to comply with the new , more prescriptive dyno rules has been increased.

There are a lot of great things coming which are going to make American Iron, the ponycar series of choice!

-=- Todd Covini

There are a lot of great things coming which are going to make American Iron, the ponycar series of choice!

Yeah, and you have "top men" working on it, right?

Raiders_Of_The_Lost_Ark_Government_.jpg

Matt,

You need to chill. I don't understand your disrespect for this series, and yes I take offense to your implied statement of your last post. So you sell your CMC, run formula vee, and post more in the AI forum than most AI racers and a lot of AI directors? It smells of some sort of self fulfilling revenge that I don't understand; but is very apparent to most people on this board.

• Members

Well I thought it was funny. Then again I thought the whole boot camp part of Full Metal Jacket was funny so my sense of humor is a bit perverse.

Pat, thanks for the comments. We are working on better and more consistent rules enforcement. The first part is having a solid leadership team that is in communication to ensure consistency. The team is in place, the consistency part will be a never ending game of continuous improvement. The second part is having the rules that are enforceable, which is again a work in progress. The last part is having the tools to do the enforcement with, which (you guessed it) is also a work in progress, but which you guys at nationals saw some of. More of all of the above is coming to a race track near you!

Folks-

Some news on the enforcement front is that we will be using GPS this year as a flag to tell us when we do need to do more invasive testing to make sure the HP playing field is level. I have been busy with this the last few months and the culmination was a test this year with about 80% of the E0 field at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill. We monitored 10 cars over the entire 25 hours and the top cars that did spin the wheels of steel after the checker were within 1% of the actual horsepower measured which was pretty dang impressive. I am now working on how to make the units easy to use so look for little limpets stuck to your roof at a track near you soon!

Merry Christmas to all and best wishes for 2010!

-JWL