Any chance of trying multiple 15 minute sessions in MA?

Cobra4B

I've been reading that SE has gone to 5 15-min sessions. Any chance of MA trying that format? Pros/cons/logistical issues?

My thoughts are as follows:

1. If you have car issues you have a better chance of being able to make it back on track.

2. You have more opportunity to dial in the car and tweak some stuff.

For those of us who don't get to do testing and really only get to the track 4-5x a year this would be really nice.

-Brian

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ff2skip

• Varkwso

• getfast

• kbrew8991

Brian, I actually sent this request up the chain this past weekend.

There is probably no shot at five 15-minute sessions, and that's understandable. We need to keep in mind that we have three race groups, not two, like many others. We also don't combine Grp #1 with #2 as I believe I've read in another region. My request for SP Main was four 15-minute sessions, but it would probably be better to have the warmup be 20 minutes.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Skip

I didn't realize we had more race groups than other regions.

Mid-Atlantic is effectively 3 race groups and 5 HPDE groups. Which is why it's difficult to add more time into the schedule. Adjusting session lengths is easier, and is currently being considered for TT specifically.

We only got 3 on Sat this last time at Road Atlanta - but we had two before noon on Sunday .

15 minutes are working out great here in the SE.

I know I enjoyed my weekend with you all. :thumbup:

We missed you last weekend. The TTB guys were looking for you...

Looks like this is tentatively a go for Summit (Aug 21-22.) 4x15, one warmup three timed, each day.

Thanks to Skip for the email, Brian for this thread, and Chris Cobetto for adjusting the schedule. I expect to see a rough draft shortly, once it gets approved by the team it'll be linked from http://www.nasaracing.net/Summit_Aug_10/event.htm

As always, thoughts about this change at the event or afterward are greatly appreciated!

I know I enjoyed my weekend with you all. :thumbup:

We missed you last weekend. The TTB guys were looking for you...

Probably to slash my tires, for a rigged poker game, or to use the AC in my trailer!

Looks like this is tentatively a go for Summit (Aug 21-22.) 4x15, one warmup three timed, each day.

Thanks to Skip for the email, Brian for this thread, and Chris Cobetto for adjusting the schedule. I expect to see a rough draft shortly, once it gets approved by the team it'll be linked from http://www.nasaracing.net/Summit_Aug_10/event.htm

As always, thoughts about this change at the event or afterward are greatly appreciated!

[Facebook]

I like this.

[/FB]

And thank you, Mr. TT Director. :thumbup:

Another benny may be that TT drivers actually get to grid on time- which is about 10 minutes prior to their send-off. I loved that cars were held back Saturday morning at VIR for the practice session. I was standing at pit-out watching it all go down.

Another benny may be that TT drivers actually get to grid on time- which is about 10 minutes prior to their send-off. I loved that cars were held back Saturday morning at VIR for the practice session. I was standing at pit-out watching it all go down.

Going to be tough for the people Instructing more then likely to make that grid time.

Sweet! I'm glad to see this change. It sucks when you have a little problem that can scrap a whole session, then only have one real timed session. I hope this change is permanent, but if not, still much appreciated guys!

One thing I'd reeeaaally like to see changed is the sandwiching of the last Sunday session between HPDE1 & 2. It's been happening all year, and just seems like it could easily be avoided. I understand the schedule is tailored so that HPDE4 doesn't ever run back to back with a student's session, and we kind of give up convenience when we chose TT instead of HPDE4. I'm perfectly fine with going out late or coming in early for a student, but the sandwiching of their groups around a timed session really sucks.

I understand the list will fluctuate, but 10 of the 29 instructors are doing TT instead of HPDE4 which is half the TT field. Any chance in getting this changed for us?

And just to clarify, I'm not at all mad about this, I'm happy we're even allowed to run TT while instructing.

Just a quick comment regarding the last session scheduling on Sunday...

Very few TT'ers stick around for the last session of the day on Sundays, especially when it's balls-hot or when the sun sets at 1800. Another point is that there are times when students either skip the very last session of the weekend to bail early for whatever reason(s). Some get solo'd because the student progressed enough to do so.

I do see where in other instances it can be a problem as Varkwso pointed out. Personally, I always want to debrief my students immediately following the session while things are still semi-clear in their heads. That usually lasts about 10 minutes or a little more. I've missed whole run sessions because I wanted to make sure my students felt they were getting quality instruction AND attention, thereby making it a value to them. I do feel ya on the front of hopping in/out of cars like those that instruct do. It is the reason why I elected to quit instructing when doing TT's.

Personally, I appreciate the feedback from you, Justin, as well as everyone else, be it in our region or beyond. It is these exchanges that will help our numbers grow, elevate the competition within this segment, and hold the ear of those that make the final decisions. :thumbup:

Arizona has been using 15 minutue sessions for TT for 2 years now. The TT guys seem to perfer the shorter sessions with more frequency. We also have started to split the TT group into two. One for the faster TT cars and one for the slower TT cars by class. The split often around TTA or TTB. Again given our region that seems to work well as out TT group is thriving.

Arizona has been using 15 minutue sessions for TT for 2 years now. The TT guys seem to perfer the shorter sessions with more frequency. We also have started to split the TT group into two. One for the faster TT cars and one for the slower TT cars by class. The split often around TTA or TTB. Again given our region that seems to work well as out TT group is thriving.

How do you split it? With 40 car grids spliting a session is untenable.

for SE where you've got 4 full DE groups, yes. Other places that don't have the DE turnout (either by choice or circumstances) its much easier to add a group.

Not really sure what you mean? For Arizona 40 cars is really too many for TT given we have 1.5 miles to play with. So about 20 per works pretty well. Drivers are happy and the economics work. As I said each region is different so that may not work for you guys. I was just saying that TT is doing well in Arizona and is popular. We use shorter 15 minute sessions and it seems to work great. We also split the group. Again that works great for out region given out cost structures, attendance make up and track length.

The only point I was making is that TT guys seem to perfer a greater number of shorter sessions. They would even give up overall track time in day just to get cleaner track. BTW.. when we split the TT group the overall track time for each TT driver went down. However due to less cars on track they got more clean laps per minute. We went from 4 20 mintue sessions to 4 15 minutue sessions and despite the lower over all track time (less than HPDE and race group per weekend) it was well recieved.

Not really sure what you mean? For Arizona 40 cars is really too many for TT given we have 1.5 miles to play with. So about 20 per works pretty well. Drivers are happy and the economics work. As I said each region is different so that may not work for you guys. I was just saying that TT is doing well in Arizona and is popular. We use shorter 15 minute sessions and it seems to work great. We also split the group. Again that works great for out region given out cost structures, attendance make up and track length.

The only point I was making is that TT guys seem to perfer a greater number of shorter sessions. They would even give up overall track time in day just to get cleaner track. BTW.. when we split the TT group the overall track time for each TT driver went down. However due to less cars on track they got more clean laps per minute. We went from 4 20 mintue sessions to 4 15 minutue sessions and despite the lower over all track time (less than HPDE and race group per weekend) it was well recieved.

So each group gets 2 15 minute sessions a day?

@ Jeff - or you combine DE1/2 or DE3/4 and make room for the other group to have 4 sessions or whatever

I know it wouldn't work where YOU are, but, it can work other places

:lol: @ Jeff - or you combine DE1/2 or DE3/4 and make room for the other group to have 4 sessions or whatever

I know it wouldn't work where YOU are, but, it can work other places

It can work anywhere where it makes business sense .

It could work, but if I understand it correctly, it would be 4 sessions a day TTA-TTR and a separate 4 sessions a day for TTF-TTB - though combining the practice . And yes it would have to come out of the HPDE time slots and not the race time slots. That would be tough with the current demographics here in the SE. Combine DE3/4 has worked in the past.

I know some would buy off on a combined practice on Sat and then split groups for the rest of the weekend - but getting it equitable would be tough and would make it a hard sell for very limited track time if they split our existing sessions (at most 2 a day for each). It would work great if we could get a timing system in place at NCCAR since race groups are unlikely there for a while.