• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• D Algozine

• marshallmosty

• nape

you dont think that adjustable wings with increasing quality and control of downforce isn't a driver aid?

if you want to hold down costs and equal competition, nasa should spec aero components.

you dont think better suspension components dont create a better handling car and more speed for a lesser driver? should those pieces also be spec'd or should those with a financial advantage be able to buy the more expensive components and therefore get an advantage?

lastly, are you really sure that you want to be the guy that spins in the rain and is t-boned in the drivers door by a car that would have avoided you entirely with abs?

in the end brakes are safety first.

EFI makes for more efficient and computer controlled "go". ABS makes for more efficient and computer controlled "stop". Both are drivers aids. Only one of the two can save your life.

I believe it was Maverick who said, " Punch me out Goose" (Movie reference)

I believe it was Maverick who said, " Punch me out Goose" (Movie reference)

"Goose, I'm pinned forward. I can't reach the ejection handles. EJECT EJECT EJECT"

I've heard that you need a Shelby GT500 HCU to replace the Stock HCU. However, I can't find any PN's on the net, or any indication that the FR500S brake package needs that updated HCU on the Ford Racing site.

I've pinged Steve Poe offline for the PN's, but wanted to see if anyone else had specific HCU's PN's for both the Stock GT as well as the GT500/FR500.

There is a difference and you do need the GT500 HCU. I have the numbers at work if you don't find them sooner but your local Ford dealer can give them to you also.

If you want shoot me a PM on Monday to remind me and I'll get you the GT500 part number.

Greg,

I'll call our local Ford dealer and see if they can shed some light. If not, I'll drop you a PM.

I have the PN's... Thanks Steve.

I am just looking for clarity. Ddoes car A not spin due to ABS, or does car B not hit him due to ABS?

In this case, both "A" and "B" ran out of talent...

I am just looking for clarity. Ddoes car A not spin due to ABS, or does car B not hit him due to ABS?

A. Who knows why car A spins in the rain. Stuff happens racing and more often in the rain. How the car spun isn't the question.

B. Its been suggested that ABS is an advantage particularly in the rain. Main point was exactly that I would not want to be the guy hit by a car that ABS would have stopped.

Safety should always come first. In my view making any of our cars harder to stop by rule is a mistake. It stands to reason at some point the difference between too easy to stop and harder to stop will result in somebody getting hurt.

Marsh, we are amateur racers. Some of us, run out of talent all the time.

Rob,

I don't agree with you on that point. All racers, regardless of ultimate skill level (amateur, semi-pro, pro, etc) all should be responsible to drive WITHIN their level of talent. "Running out of talent" as I comically elluded to is just as dangerous, if not more than not having ABS (rain or shine).

In the rain, ABS only gives you the ability to do "better". It does NOT make you a better driver. If we all had ABS, there should be no contact. If it was 50/50 for with/without ABS, there should be no contact. If we outlawed ABS, there should be no contact. If you can tell, my point is there should be NO CONTACT...

Some of us drive 8/10th's and are comfortable, some 9.5/10th's and some on the ragged edge at 10/10. It all goes wrong when someone tries to go 10.00001/10th's at the wrong moment. It can, and will go bad for him and anyone who happens to be around him at that time.

Bottom line, drive where you are comfortable with whatever equipment you have.

Side note:

The best time I've ever had was in my brother's 1984 Toyota Corolla FX16 LeMons car at MSR-C with all of "maybe" 80HP at the wheels and was easily staying in front of a GT3 Porsche driven by somebody who had more money than sense. It took five laps of the 1.7 mile roadcourse for him to get around me cleanly... On that day it was definately NOT the equipment I was using... it's about comfort level, and I could have driven that car for 3 hours on that tank of fuel and stayed basically right with that 100K Porsche with all his uber-nice stuff with me driving that 27 year old pile of crap...

A. Who knows why car A spins in the rain. Stuff happens racing and more often in the rain. How the car spun isn't the question.

B. Its been suggested that ABS is an advantage particularly in the rain. Main point was exactly that I would not want to be the guy hit by a car that ABS would have stopped.

Safety should always come first. In my view making any of our cars harder to stop by rule is a mistake. It stands to reason at some point the difference between too easy to stop and harder to stop will result in somebody getting hurt.

I thouight this was NASA Pro Racing

marsh, i respect your point of view, but to expect a nasa race in the rain to be spin/off free is expecting a lot.

marsh, i respect your point of view, but to expect a nasa race in the rain to be spin/off free is expecting a lot.

Our first event was a rain event for over a full day (3 races). We only had one contact where one driver "ran out of talent" and stuffed it where his car didn't belong. It was controlled, but his car didn't have position as his front left headlight hit the other car's quarter, right behind the passenger door.

Otherwise we were well behaved, contact wise.

There were spins which resulted in off's, but everyone maintained the adequate spacing for rain racing so that the spins/offs didn't result in contact.

And even pro's go off in the rain... (even if we are "NASA Pro Racing")

i am just saying that braking is basic safety on track. that making a car harder to stop is not the right way to go about evening the field. thats all.

My T-10 is so hard to shift because the shifter ball doesn't have numbers, so it's a safety issue. Does that mean I can ask for a sequential so it's easier to shift?

Seems like an equally ridiculous argument to me.

i am just saying that braking is basic safety on track. that making a car harder to stop is not the right way to go about evening the field. thats all.

Braking isn't basic safety. Your roll cage, seat, belts, and drivers gear are. Braking is skill that makes the car and driver who they are.

A driver can easily screw up with ABS and trash their car and potentially another competitors. They can also drive within the limits on the edge (without ABS) and still have no incident.

I just don't understand the theory that ABS is needed to keep AI "safer" when the only thing I see is it might help a few individuals keep round tires from being square.

My guess is after a few hundred dollars in braking lessons the offending individuals will come to reality and learn the science that is braking with no ABS.

I might be confused but is AI all about beating someone with the exploitation of the rules or the driver behind the wheel?

I might be confused but is AI all about beating someone with the exploitation of the rules or the driver behind the wheel?

i think most racers read the rules for any advantage that they can get.

what happens when better suspension pieces are put on the market? what about better adjustable wings and splitters? what about improved performance in all the gear that is legal now.

Not a good comparison. ABS is a higly technical "gadget". As technology improves, so will ABS. Those other items are mechanical and are ruled by the laws of physics. ABS is an extra, an add on, an unnecessary item that takes the skill of braking and hands it over to a computer.

I'm anticipating that eventually stock traction control is going to have a quality race mode. Should it be legal?

Plenty of traction control and stability control systems are already out there that could help poor drivers be better. Can good drivers outperform the OEM systems - maybe. But that's only a matter of time. And as long as all the hardware for ABS is allowed, it's going to be impossible to stop Traction Control and Stability Control. As the systems get better (and they are already are in the higher end cars), the drivers talent becomes less and less critical to the overall equation.

What we all need is a Megasquirt-like system for ABS using cheaply/readily available replacement parts...

except for the third gen camaros...we do. It's called STOCK abs.

What we all need is a Megasquirt-like system for ABS using cheaply/readily available replacement parts...

except for the third gen camaros...we do. It's called STOCK abs.

You've got stock fuel injection too, but Megasquirt gives you a LOT more control. I was thinking something like where you can control a bunch of aspects of your ABS. Like lockup threshold, lockup duration, pulse length etc... definitely NOT stock! If your car already had ABS you'd be ahead of the game. If they made Megasquirt why can't they do this? File this in the "I WISH" column :)

• 3 years later...

Old thread, but I'm working on doing this install on my Foxbody. I have the GT500 abs unit, the wheel speed sensors and the car already has abs rings on all 4 corners. I have a few questions.

1 - Steve Poe, do you still have any wiring harness parts? I mainly need the primary pigtail for the ABS unit and I can build the rest - but if the whole thing is reasonably prices, I'd definitely be interested.

2 - I'm going to be running 100% new lines. What are the correct brake line sizes that connect to the HCU?

3 - Is it 100% important to run the same calipers from the original ABS system? I currently have 2-piston PBRs from 03-04 Cobras...much less piston and fluid area compared to a GT500. I can possibly get Brembo 4-piston calipers with the 13" rotors but one of my sets of wheels will not fit any 14" brake system..and that set is my favorite

4 - What flaring tool do you suggest? I've used the cheapo clamp one previously with success but the Eastwood double flare one looks so much better (It doesn't come with ALL of the dies required, so that's why I'd like to know the exact line sizes to use).

Thanks guys!