• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RWinchester199

• D Algozine

• stevepoe

• robbodleimages

They like to throw that $2mil number around in the press release.... It's going to take someone an entire season with 10+ people running each race to buy a set of tires... Only if they win and only IF there're 10 cars at each race. Good luck.

with an average of 5 to 8 starters at $275 per tire and $1100 per set of 4 you would have to win 8 races to earn one full set of tires.

the math on this program is not very driver friendly.

with an average of 5 to 8 starters at $275 per tire and $1100 per set of 4 you would have to win 8 races to earn one full set of tires.

Better do it fast too.....

Toyo bucks only are good from 90 days of issue.....

Better do it fast too.....

Toyo bucks only are good from 90 days of issue.....

Unless I am misreading it, you have 120 days from the date of the race to claim them, then you have 90 days from the day of the rebate being issued to use them.......that's closer to 210 days isn't it?

Unless I am misreading it, you have 120 days from the date of the race to claim them, then you have 90 days from the day of the rebate being issued to use them.......that's closer to 210 days isn't it?

That's how I read it as well.

honestly, my complaint here is not with toyo, but with nasa. hoosier, bf goodrich, and goodyear all have contingency programs based on tires, not coupon money, and they are all competing for our business. therefore they use a nice program as incentive to choose their tire. win a race and get two tires. finish 3rd and get one.

toyo needs a nice program for the drivers only if they feel like its needed to get NASA's business. Not ours.

if we want to run this class, we have to buy the tire. they arent going to give them away unless NASA forces them to.

this program is fine if your expectation is of nothing. something is a nice surprise over nothing. but this program is really not much more than that.

• Members

If NASA gave us all a free set of tires that had 1.5g grip and lasted an entire season the complainers would still find something to bitch about. WTF!! (they are not round enough, they are not black enough, they are too sticky, waaa waaa, waaa.)

We were just handed a bone. Reduced prices, higher and deeper contingency on a tire that lasts longer than any other.

What more do you want?

I for one am greatfull. I know there are many out there that are really happy with this new program as well.

Thank you NASA and Toyo for putting this strong tire program together!!

Jay Andrew

Have these overpriced 18's tires come down in Price ? I haven't seen anything as of yet on how much they reduced them?

There was a price reduction on 18's.

http://philstireservice.com/pages/tires/tires_toyo_1.htm

Thanks,

So it looks like we will be in these for $301 a tire after they are shaved .$1204 a set plus the haul to your door . a r6 is $315 tire rack. How much where the 18" ra1's before ? I can't recall that either.

I thought the Toyo's and the old deal were pretty good, so this new deal is even better.

You guys need to think about more then just your own personal situation, or what's in it for "me". This arrangement will help bring more racers into AI. Not having to buy a set of tires for every weekend is a very big deal. Racing on Toyo's puts the emphasis back on the driver, and not having the deepest pocket for new rubber.

Well I agree with Jay they did make some mild mild slight movement so kudo's on that.

Don't count on seeing me though in AI till summer at best though. I have sets of hoosiers to burn off and besides saying I am a season champ in a class you get nothing more these days. So what is decision on grandfathering hoosier R6's??? Even for a few events??

I have to admit between rules changes (that if you look at results from our AI dec race you would wonder why) and the tire deal with toyo AI will have limited appeal for me for the 1st time in 10 years. Will run AIX or ST2 most of season to be blunt and see how it all plays.

Not wanting to whine but didn't the toyo deal for 3-5 cars just get worse and only got $10 better for 5-10 cars?? When a set costs $1,200 shaved at least for any of us that just flat out sucks a$$ vs every other tire deal. Sorry but it does.

I get 12-14 heat cycles out of hoosiers and 14-20 out of toyo. The math will never in 500 years work out for the toyo's.

My bet is plan on several of us just being sleepers till nationals race than watch out. Will miss playing in AI but will have fun in AIX running the boss unrestricted.

Well I agree with Jay they did make some mild mild slight movement so kudo's on that.

Don't count on seeing me though in AI till summer at best though. I have sets of hoosiers to burn off and besides saying I am a season champ in a class you get nothing more these days. So what is decision on grandfathering hoosier R6's??? Even for a few events??

I have to admit between rules changes (that if you look at results from our AI dec race you would wonder why) and the tire deal with toyo AI will have limited appeal for me for the 1st time in 10 years. Will run AIX or ST2 most of season to be blunt and see how it all plays.

Not wanting to whine but didn't the toyo deal for 3-5 cars just get worse and only got $10 better for 5-10 cars?? When a set costs $1,200 shaved at least for any of us that just flat out sucks a$$ vs every other tire deal. Sorry but it does.

I get 12-14 heat cycles out of hoosiers and 14-20 out of toyo. The math will never in 500 years work out for the toyo's.

My bet is plan on several of us just being sleepers till nationals race than watch out. Will miss playing in AI but will have fun in AIX running the boss unrestricted.

I don't want to be a total a$$, so I deleted what I originally typed. I'll just say WOW !! and leave it at that.

IIRC, the Toyo deal for 3-4 cars actually got worse in '09 but they paid out the '08 forms for most of the year because the people issuing the contingency didn't realize the deal changed.

Unlike Hoosier, Toyo pays out for Regional Championships, so they have that going for them. I picked up ~$2250 in RC contingency in '09/'10 on top of the regular weekend payout.

The Toyo deal is pretty sweet when a set only costs ~$900/set for 17s. The math works out great when you can get 4-6 weekends out of them.

See you at Nationals.

PS- Woo hoo! We're on Toyos again!

It's amazing how quickly people are to poo-poo on the hard work done to get the new Toyo deal.

Payouts are higher, and deeper into the field, then ever before. And folks still aren't happy? I don't get it.

As for not being able to earn enough Toyo bucks to get tires....I managed to earn enough Toyo bucks this year to get not one, but TWO sets of tires.

For those that have submitted Toyo forms, and are waiting for their certs - did you send your forms to the OLD address, or the new one?

New Toyo address as of Oct 2011:

Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp.

5665 Plaza Dr. Ste. 300

Cypress, CA 90630

Link to new form.

Thanks to the folks at NASA, and Toyo, for their hard work negotiating the new contingency program!

For the sake of the conversation i went to mylaps and looked at the actual numbers.

9 race events in NASA SE. If a driver were to win the first points race of every one of the 9

race meets, he/she would have earned $1120 Toyo bucks. At $275 per tire unshaved one full

set of four Toyo RA1's would cost $1100.

I took the first race of each meet because its the race with the largest field with attrition taking a car

or two at most events for the second race.

The new Toyo program might be improved over the previous one, but winning half the races in a given season to earn one set of four tires. Is that really a good program?

• Members

I agree with Jay. The contingency program is much improved over the previous years and I could'nt be happier to be back on Toyos and ONLY Toyos

Now that the tire money war is over, lets get back to racing and having fun. Since Toyos don't really slow down with age, the answer to getting good contingency money is easy. DRIVE HARDER!