• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RWinchester199

• D Algozine

• stevepoe

• robbodleimages

Have these overpriced 18's tires come down in Price ? I haven't seen anything as of yet on how much they reduced them?

There was a price reduction on 18's.

http://philstireservice.com/pages/tires/tires_toyo_1.htm

Thanks,

So it looks like we will be in these for $301 a tire after they are shaved .$1204 a set plus the haul to your door . a r6 is $315 tire rack. How much where the 18" ra1's before ? I can't recall that either.

Mr. Steve - As of Jan 1st Hoosiers will cost more........Just got to keep all the info correct.

Mr. Steve - As Jan 1st Hoosier will be more........Just got to keep all the info correct

Thanks Phil,

The toyo discount on the 18's looks pretty good. Just need to find a buyer for my h20's and what is left of my dry tires and get my order placed with you for some ra1's

so who is looking to sell off their hoosiers for cheap??? wets or dry.... I for one, will be in ST2 all season as I have almost all the hoosiers I need and I'm not going to spend more money for a slower tire, and no i dont care that it lasts longer nor that they lowered the price.

Beware the rest may hurt your feelings..... Some sarcasm and some sad but true statements

Why do they want to pay 24th place 6 cents?

2005+ Mustang GT will win AI nationals in 2012, and most likely finish 2nd and 3rd too!

so who is looking to sell off their hoosiers for cheap??? wets or dry.... I for one, will be in ST2 all season as I have almost all the hoosiers I need and I'm not going to spend more money for a slower tire, and no i dont care that it lasts longer nor that they lowered the price.

Beware the rest may hurt your feelings..... Some sarcasm and some sad but true statements

Why do they want to pay 24th place 6 cents?

2005+ Mustang GT will win AI nationals in 2012, and most likely finish 2nd and 3rd too!

Don't hold back Ryan.Tell us how you really feel about this .

Repeat from previous post, but still applies

I don't want to be a total a$$, so I deleted what I originally typed. I'll just say WOW !! and leave it at that.

But I'll just add a little, or maybe a lot ??....., It's racers with bigger then average budgets that have the biggest problem with Toyo's and the new deal? I'm guessing that regardless of the brand of tire, some guys replace tires as if they were blowing thier nose with Kleenex. Seems strange............just saying !

Yes this is a competition, but FYI, it's amateur racing (someone tell me how many times I've said that in the last 2 months) Just because "they" made a pro car legal and some pro racers have joined the ranks, doesn't mean that everything needs to automatically get elevated to pro level.

A lot of us are working on a limited budget. So, to clarify, it's not just having the means to buy a $60k plus race car, you want to be able to regularly buy new tires, so you can continue to win new ones. I think I'm confused. FYI, amateur racing is not "JUST" about winning. There's more to it, and if you don't understand that then your missing something. Yes, we all want win, we are all competitve people, but it goes beyond that for a lot of us. So, if this new deal helps bring a few new guys into AI great. If it helps a mid pack racer slightly offset some costs, then great. If you you're looking for big prizes and contingencey money, then I think that's a tall order, at least it is rght now. And smart a$$ comments about everyone getting a prize doesn't sit well. So basically, we want to say "F those slower guys". They can either get fast or get gone..........nice ! .Those same racers make up the car count that allows guys up front to earn more contingency money. Notice a pattern??? Its was designed that way for a very specific reason.

FYI - this "new deal" is equal or better then the previous deal that has been in place for many years.

I don't want to be a total a$$, so I deleted what I originally typed. I'll just say WOW !! and leave it at that.

But I'll just add a little, or maybe a lot ??....., It's racers with bigger then average budgets that have the biggest problem with Toyo's and the new deal? I'm guessing that regardless of the brand of tire, some guys replace tires as if they were blowing thier nose with Kleenex. Seems strange............just saying !

Yes this is a competition, but FYI, it's amateur racing (someone tell me how many times I've said that in the last 2 months) Just because "they" made a pro car legal and some pro racers have joined the ranks, doesn't mean that everything needs to automatically get elevated to pro level.

A lot of us are working on a limited budget. So, to clarify, it's not just having the means to buy a $60k plus race car, you want to be able to regularly buy new tires, so you can continue to win new ones. I think I'm confused. FYI, amateur racing is not "JUST" about winning. There's more to it, and if you don't understand that then your missing something. Yes, we all want win, we are all competitve people, but it goes beyond that for a lot of us. So, if this new deal helps bring a few new guys into AI great. If it helps a mid pack racer slightly offset some costs, then great. If you you're looking for big prizes and contingencey money, then I think that's a tall order, at least it is rght now. And smart a$$ comments about everyone getting a prize doesn't sit well. So basically, we want to say "F those slower guys". They can either get fast or get gone..........nice ! .Those same racers make up the car count that allows guys up front to earn more contingency money. Notice a pattern??? Its was designed that way for a very specific reason.

FYI - this "new deal" is equal or better then the previous deal that has been in place for many years.

Its nothing against the slower guys, its just a comment that fits the society we live in..... Everyone deserves something, or at least thats what some people think.... and racing, no matter what form, is about winning and getting the most performance you can out of the car you are driving.....

There are ways around spending tons of money. And if you run midpack all the time and you are there "just for fun" then buy a couple heat cycle old tires off someone who changes tires all the time. I know Desalvo ran Hoosiers for 14+ heat cycles at Mid-O and was still one of the quicker cars on track..... Thats more cost EFFECTIVE than the new deal.

also the pattern you are referring to also applies to the new tire in a much more tangible way. There are some of us that have tires already or leftovers from last year that wont be there this season that were last which means fewer car counts!!! And that is a REAL problem. There are no FOR SURE new drivers coming in just because we are now running a TOYO, but there are some that FOR SURE wont be back! So do you see the pattern??? With Hoosier is took 3 (three) cars for the winner to get a tire.... How many toyos do you get with 3 people?

Also, just a side note.... its called nasa PRO racing... and all of us are on a budget. How many of you actually sit down and figure out in detail how much the season is going to cost and how much funding you have for that season? I know I do, and Im sure the rest of you that take the time to figure it out also make sacrifices in order to get the most out of the available money!

And I think it has more to do with the tire situation than the size of anyones budget. And for me its a lot to do with American Iron using a imported tire... you know cause there arent any American made tires we can use.....

Its nothing against the slower guys, its just a comment that fits the society we live in..... Everyone deserves something, or at least thats what some people think.... and racing, no matter what form, is about winning and getting the most performance you can out of the car you are driving.....

There are ways around spending tons of money. And if you run midpack all the time and you are there "just for fun" then buy a couple heat cycle old tires off someone who changes tires all the time. I know Desalvo ran Hoosiers for 14+ heat cycles at Mid-O and was still one of the quicker cars on track..... Thats more cost EFFECTIVE than the new deal.

also the pattern you are referring to also applies to the new tire in a much more tangible way. There are some of us that have tires already or leftovers from last year that wont be there this season that were last which means fewer car counts!!! And that is a REAL problem. There are no FOR SURE new drivers coming in just because we are now running a TOYO, but there are some that FOR SURE wont be back! So do you see the pattern??? With Hoosier is took 3 (three) cars for the winner to get a tire.... How many toyos do you get with 3 people?

Also, just a side note.... its called nasa PRO racing... and all of us are on a budget. How many of you actually sit down and figure out in detail how much the season is going to cost and how much funding you have for that season? I know I do, and Im sure the rest of you that take the time to figure it out also make sacrifices in order to get the most out of the available money!

And I think it has more to do with the tire situation than the size of anyones budget. And for me its a lot to do with American Iron using a imported tire... you know cause there arent any American made tires we can use.....

We are pretty far apart on some very fundamental issues. I'm just going to agree that we disagree.

I don't run a toyo spec tire class, but when I saw the press release a couple days ago and read the contingency sheet, I just chuckled and shook my head. Sure, something is better than nothing I guess, but I am sure glad I have the option to run other tires with better contingency.

For example: I won 4 free tires in TT from the Hoosier contingency this year. That's not hugely successful, but not bad. Each of my Hoosier tires cost just $250, so I won $1000 in free tires this season. That was usually with 3-4 car counts. If I was running Toyo, with the 2012 contingency, I would have $160... I suppose then that for my case, we could say that the Hoosier contingency is 6.25 times better than Toyo's.

I don't run a toyo spec tire class, but when I saw the press release a couple days ago and read the contingency sheet, I just chuckled and shook my head. Sure, something is better than nothing I guess, but I am sure glad I have the option to run other tires with better contingency.

For example: I won 4 free tires in TT from the Hoosier contingency this year. That's not hugely successful, but not bad. Each of my Hoosier tires cost just $250, so I won $1000 in free tires this season. That was usually with 3-4 car counts. If I was running Toyo, with the 2012 contingency, I would have $160... I suppose then that for my case, we could say that the Hoosier contingency is 6.25 times better than Toyo's.

don't forget.. they are faster too!

There are some of us that have tires already or leftovers from last year that wont be there this season that were last which means fewer car counts!!! And that is a REAL problem. There are no FOR SURE new drivers coming in just because we are now running a TOYO, but there are some that FOR SURE wont be back!

I'm not sure if everyone is supposed to care, since no one seemed to care about the people who had Toyos to run last year.

I'll be glad I can bring my 24 Toyos out of the crawl space where they sat for most of last year.

All I can say is I'm glad the "Winners" aren't running the contingency program. Here's one front runner who's glad to see us back on a tire that doesn't break the back of the rest of the field that doesn't make the podium.

Well said, TJ. I ran a total of 5 race weekends on six tires. The first four started off life as "thick 5/32" and two of those rear tires will take the first green flag in 2012 as well at a minimum. The fronts went 4 events before one corded. The other front is a spare and the 5th and 6th tire went on the front of the car.

That scenario was good enough to break a 3 year old track record at MSR-C here in the TX region. We've been running for 8+ years here now, so it's not like we are just learning our local tracks... Those crusty "slow" Toyo's provided me...

20 races

12 wins

18 podiums

3 poles (out of 10 non-inverts)

1 track record

1 regional championship

approx $2200 in payouts (all in regional events). I'd say a front runner doesn't need this much "help"... I'm glad I had it though...

35+ heat cycles for my rear tires at the moment... Fronts corded at 28 heat cycles

I think the contingency is very nice, especially for the CMC guys. For AI, it's going to be hard to get into the "bigger bucks", but in TX we are hoping for 7-9 AI cars at each event next year.

TJ, no one should care. I'm just pointing out that this new tire isn't bringin in herds of new AI cars, or any that I'm aware of.... And with their new contingency there needs to be more cars to make it even close to the deal hoosier had going. This new contingency isn't really cutting cost for the non winners anyhow. The average field needs to be bigger than ours to make it beneficial to them.

Marshall, I wouldn't expect you to feel any different. You're a director so there may be a slight bias in your choice

Also I never said a word about people who had toyo last year. They couldn't meet the demand of our series and we had to run other tires, you were plenty welcome to run your precious toyo tires as far as I was concerned. I just think its fairly comical and a little silly to run a Japanese tire in an American iron class. It just doesn't sound right ya know?

There are some of us that have tires already or leftovers from last year that wont be there this season that were last which means fewer car counts!!! And that is a REAL problem. There are no FOR SURE new drivers coming in just because we are now running a TOYO, but there are some that FOR SURE wont be back!

I'm not sure if everyone is supposed to care, since no one seemed to care about the people who had Toyos to run last year.

I'll be glad I can bring my 24 Toyos out of the crawl space where they sat for most of last year.

All I can say is I'm glad the "Winners" aren't running the contingency program. Here's one front runner who's glad to see us back on a tire that doesn't break the back of the rest of the field that doesn't make the podium.

TJ, you nut, whats wrong with you? F the next guy. Its supposed to be about me...me..me...me. Thats another one of those society traits that is just so prevalent these days. Its the age of entitlement.

You know what this thread needs is another person to do the math and explain how brand X has a better contingency plan then our current one. When did AI racing become all about a race weekends tire contingency? Are you guys really saying that this plan or that plan makes your whole year? Having to buy $1200 of tires every other weekend will kill a lot of guys race time. What did Hoosier give out for the regional champs this year? Both brands have good and weak points as do thier contingency plan. So its really silly to cherry pick.

Depsite individual claims, statistically across the board, Hoosiers dont hold up near as well as Toyos. You can contingency yourself to death, but that is a proven fact. Toyos do not have as much crip, but they don't fall off as fast either. So.... you can compete and have a chance to run well with something other then a brand new set of Toyos. Apparently this pi$$es off some folks. But, surely any racer with a signifincant annual race budget isn't going to fall on hard times over not getting a few more tires in a season.

TJ, no one should care. I'm just pointing out that this new tire isn't bringin in herds of new AI cars, or any that I'm aware of.... And with their new contingency there needs to be more cars to make it even close to the deal hoosier had going. This new contingency isn't really cutting cost for the non winners anyhow. The average field needs to be bigger than ours to make it beneficial to them.

Also I never said a word about people who had toyo last year. They couldn't meet the demand of our series and we had to run other tires, you were plenty welcome to run your precious toyo tires as far as I was concerned. I just think its fairly comical and a little silly to run a Japanese tire in an American iron class. It just doesn't sound right ya know?

At least herds of cars won't be sitting on the side lines because they can't afford the tire bill again. Maybe they will and I'm delusional, but I know my Toyo vs. Hoosier costs.

To each there own on the contingency. $25 is $25. Finish 5th 10 times in a season and it's a free, shaved 17" tire. Better then a sharp Hoosier stick in the eye and being left with no free tires.

Racing on a Japanese tire for 2012, racing in a Japanese car last weekend. Pot, kettle, black.

At least herds of cars won't be sitting on the side lines because they can't afford the tire bill again. Maybe they will and I'm delusional, but I know my Toyo vs. Hoosier costs.

To each there own on the contingency. $25 is $25. Finish 5th 10 times in a season and it's a free, shaved 17" tire. Better then a sharp Hoosier stick in the eye and being left with no free tires.

Racing on a Japanese tire for 2012, racing in a Japanese car last weekend. Pot, kettle, black.

I get the argument about a Japanese tire on an American car, but what I cant understand is the unwavering support for the "All American" Hoosier program that has no issue with cutting out their own dealers who support us trackside. Think about it, when Hoosier keeps awarding free tires for contingency payouts what signal does that send to Phil's, Frisby or any other Hoosier guy who supports us trackside? That they should drag their butts out to the track on their own dime, so they can be bypassed by the manufacturer they are working so hard to represent. Maybe I am just unrealistically loyal to those vendors who actually service us, but at least Toyo keeps them in the loop and I assume offers them an opportunity to profit even when we redeem Toyo Bucks.

Well Put Ryan

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on how you look at it), change is always inevitable.

With that said, remember, more change is always inevitable....

Midwest Forum:

For those of you who know me, and know that I love sarcasm and every once in a while like to stir the pot just to sit back and watch people lose their minds taking it too seriously.....For you folks, cruise over to the American Iron forum and check out the post on the Toyo tire deal. People should be typing angry replies as we speak. Yes it was all in good fun after all it is the off season and I am bored. Enjoy

What a hoot it has been! Thanks for the hours of enjoyment. Meet me at the lockers after school. I got a note in home room to share.

Can't make this S H I T up folks. This is better then STAR magazine.........

I need to make this my home page on start up with my morning coffee.

see you all at the track in 2012. either on Hoosiers or RA1's..

I guess I didn't realize a Mazda miata was an American iron car.... Pot calling kettle an idiot. It's a different car in a different class. Just to point out there was not a single American iron car at the 25, there was 1 cmc car I think.

Also TJ, if you had to buy all 22 or however many toyo tires you have would you be racing this year? I'm guessing there aren't many out there in your position that have a truck full of toyos.

Dave, we can meet anywhere you want we both know I'm just having fun. If some people take it too serious I guess that's ok too. Some things I brought up are real concerns to myself and my budget. I voiced my opinion on the subject that's all. Maybe I am being immature or whatever it may be but end the end I am still smiling and enjoying everyday I get to spend behind the wheel and at the track. I only come on here every once in a while and mostly in the offseason. We can argue all day about what tire is better and why its better. I feel we should be on an American made tire it just fits the class better. Again I'm only taking made in America versus imported not cost of or life of tire.

Last comment from me on this topic.

I think its great that NASA is out there getting companies to commit to long term deals that help its members. Whether I or anyone else like the choices it is much better than nothing. I really hope the AI series is as competitive and fun to watch this year as it was last year. I will be in ST2 but I will be watching and may race AI at nationals if I have the budget for the tires. After all it is one of the best races NASA puts on at nats! See you all next season.

Dave and TJ you guys racing the Midwest or Great Lakes region? Maybe both?

Midwest Forum:
For those of you who know me, and know that I love sarcasm and every once in a while like to stir the pot just to sit back and watch people lose their minds taking it too seriously.....For you folks, cruise over to the American Iron forum and check out the post on the Toyo tire deal. People should be typing angry replies as we speak. Yes it was all in good fun after all it is the off season and I am bored. Enjoy

What a hoot it has been! Thanks for the hours of enjoyment. Meet me at the lockers after school. I got a note in home room to share.

FYI, the locker comment was another attempt at sarcasm. Not meant as a "meet me at the lockers" for a smack down, just some juvenile humor. Seems pretty silly to me that you would post those comments just to get a rise.

Midwest Forum:

FYI, the locker comment was another attempt at sarcasm. Not meant as a "meet me at the lockers" for a smack down, just some juvenile humor. Seems pretty silly to me that you would post those comments just to get a rise.

Just poking at how some people take these things too seriously. Not to be taken too seriously. We all have decisions to make. No worries I enjoy sarcasm I wasn't thinking you were being serious.