Spec Z build in the SE

Speed Weasel

Hi Folks!

Picked up a very well cared for, single owner 04 Touring model to build into a Spec Z . I need to sell my track Elise before I can do the full build out but have started on the basics. The goal is to have it ready by Oct. for the comp school at AMP.

Some pre-build pics below:

04350Z_1.jpg

04350Z_Eng_1.jpg

04350ZInt_3.jpg

04350ZInt_2.jpg

Next to the Elise....really hate to sell the Lotus and I will miss it but can't run both! The Elise is listed under the For Sale section here as well as on Lotus Talk and British Speed.

350ZElise_1.jpg

And the build starts!

First up add K&N Filter

Started to strip the interior...

04350ZCnvr_1.jpg

This weekend I plan on continuing the tear-down, replace the belt, remove the A\C, Oil change, drain and replace coolant with Water Wetter...

Also ordered a gas pedal with a Heal and Toe Extension form Ultimate Pedals. I have used their pedals on a Mustang I started tracking with and the Elise. They make a fantastic product and Robert is great to work with. They can be found at http://www.ultimatepedals.com If you don't see what you are looking for just ask. I will take some shots of the pedal when it comes in.

More to follow!

David

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Speed Weasel

• laze1

• esr

• scotts300

Progress!

Almost have it completely stripped down. Still have the headliner, wiring, doors, a few trim pieces left and the cleanup.

Changed the belt, removed the A/C belt (didn't get the rest of the A/C removed yet)

Oil change done

Flushed the brake fluid and filled with AP600

Had it Tech'd at Balanced Performance this afternoon and taking it up to AMP tomorrow, with the stock exhaust, to start to get a feel for the handling on track.

04350ZInt_4_LR.jpg

04350ZInt_7_LR.jpg

04350ZInt_6_LR.jpg

04350ZInt_5_LR.jpg

and pull the plug out of the "Yaw Sensor" mounted just behind the shifter...that will completely defeat all the traction/skid control nannies...

and for all electrical work, disconnect the battery before doing this...

If it starts raining, plug it back in a have fun...

And put some duct tape over the vents in the rear deck area...one on either side of the trunk...otherwise you will die of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ask me how I know

Thanks for the tip! I taped them up before I left.

Only ran one session this morning, with the stock pads, stock suspension and street tires it was a bit hairy and that was with the Yaw sensor still plugged in. But I set a baseline and that was the main goal!

• 1 month later...

Been working on finishing up the interior removal, cleaning up the wiring, and the tedious work of removing the sound deadening material and associated clean up (lots and lots of Goop Off) before it goes in for the cage install.

Ordered a lot of the needed parts:

• Drivers side Window Net (G-Force)
    Right Side Net (Schroth)
    Schroth 6pt Profi II Hans Harness
    E.S.S. 2.3 Liter Fire System
    Longacre 4 Terminal High Capacity Battery Cutoff
    OMP Superquadro Steering Wheel
    OMP Double locking Sliders
    MOMO Hub

All the above came from Discovery Parts, Thanks Ron!

Also have the following on the way:

• A set of the Brembo Brake Calipers (eBay)
    NRG Quick Release Hub
    Spec Suspension Package (Updated)
    Spec Front and Rear Sway Bars (Back Ordered)

Some updated images below:

8-10-12_Door_2.jpg

8-10-12_Door.jpg

Ultimate Pedal ready for install:

8-10-12_Pedal.jpg

8-10-12_2.jpg

Its getting there!

Been working on finishing up the interior removal, cleaning up the wiring, and the tedious work of removing the sound deadening material and associated clean up (lots and lots of Goop Off) before it goes in for the cage install.

Ordered a lot of the needed parts:

• Drivers side Window Net (G-Force)
    Right Side Net (Schroth)
    Schroth 6pt Profi II Hans Harness
    E.S.S. 2.3 Liter Fire System
    Longacre 4 Terminal High Capacity Battery Cutoff
    OMP Superquadro Steering Wheel
    OMP Double locking Sliders
    MOMO Hub

All the above came from Discovery Parts, Thanks Ron!

Also have the following on the way:

• A set of the Brembo Brake Calipers (eBay)
    NRG Quick Release Hub
    Spec Suspension Package (Updated)
    Spec Front and Rear Sway Bars (Back Ordered)

!

Nice progress!

"Updated" spec suspension? What does that mean?

I don't think the passenger window net is necessary. ? . ?

When I placed the order for the Suspension last week I got the impression that there was an update to the rear components from K&W. It's possible I misunderstood. Regarding the net its the right side interior net.

When I placed the order for the Suspension last week I got the impression that there was an update to the rear components from K&W. It's possible I misunderstood. Regarding the net its the right side interior net.

Thanks. I'll search around for what the rear suspension change is, but if you hear anything that clarifies, please do let us know!

Scott, I looked at my rear suspension this weekend, and think that removing the mini-springs is a go. It appears that there is plenty of adjustment in the upper coil spring hat/adjuster to make up for the loss of the mini-springs...

I will likley do this as well as lowering the car all around, then getting the thing corner balanced and aliagned

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I'll search around for what the rear suspension change is, but if you hear anything that clarifies, please do let us know!

Okay here is the deal...The upgrade is simply the inclusion of spacers to replace the helper springs if wanted. Ironically the kit that I received didn't have them But no big deal they will send them a long.

Build wise...

Was out of town for a few weeks but did get the steering wheel hub, quick release and wheel installed over the weekend as well as getting close to finishing the clean up of the sound deadening material.

I believe spacers are for the rear only...but I have not confirmed this!

According to Nissan that is correct. The updated kit comes with two.

A few pics of the current progress...

Got the front drivers side suspension in and spent some time cleaning everything up. Still need to replace the studs, remove the brake shield, install the SS brake lines, install the Brembo calipers with Hawk DTC70 Pads. I'll use a set of drilled rotors I have to test with for now. Oh yeah and the sway bars when they get here... The passenger side stock damper is out and I am in the process of cleaning everything up.

9-3-12FLSuspension.jpg

A pic of the Brembos I purchased off eBay. Appear to be in great shape but should be for what I paid

BremboBrakes.jpg

Shot of the steering wheel, hub, quick release, seat, custom gas pedal and shift handle:

9-3-12Int_1.jpg

And the trunk area almost fully cleaned up.

9-3-12Trunk.jpg

Added to list of parts to install :

Big thanks to Josh at Z1 Motorsports for great advice and parts!

Z1 Setrab oil cooler with thermostat

Z1 Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Pictured with the Brembos)

Tomei Duracon Shift Knob (installed in pic above)

Nismo Finned Diff Cover

Cage to be installed in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good! Best way is dry ice and a rubber mallet. Freeze the stuff and break it into pieces. I have tried the heat gun method before too and that just makes a gooey mess....your results may vary

Thanks obzezzed350!

Jagerz -

I would def try the dry ice method! I mostly used a mallet, hammer, scraper, wire brush and a ton of Goo Gone...at times descent sized pieces would come up put it was a real PITA and time consuming.

Work travel looks like it is calming down so I should be able to make a good progress on the build.

This weekend I hope to get the following done:

• Front suspension - Just need to torque everything down
    Remove dust shields - Passenger side front done (cut it out by hand, then used a Dremel to smooth it out)
    Wheel Studs - Passenger side studs out now
    Front Brembo installs, SS lines, rotors and pads - Not started
    Front and Rear Sway Bars
    Get started on the rear suspension and temp install the seat
    Tires mounted on wheels - Done just need to pick them up today

Thanks obzezzed350!

Jagerz -

I would def try the dry ice method! I mostly used a mallet, hammer, scraper, wire brush and a ton of Goo Gone...at times descent sized pieces would come up put it was a real PITA and time consuming.

Thanks, I did the dry ice/mallet thing today and it worked great. Definitely a PITA though! It was like christmas whenever I got a big chunk. I am going to go back over it with a wire brush and primer it tomorrow. Thanks again for the build pics and look forward to a finished ride. I might post pics of my build also in another thread.

Thanks obzezzed350!

Jagerz -

Thanks, I did the dry ice/mallet thing today and it worked great. Definitely a PITA though! It was like christmas whenever I got a big chunk. I am going to go back over it with a wire brush and primer it tomorrow. Thanks again for the build pics and look forward to a finished ride. I might post pics of my build also in another thread.

Please do! I'll be starting a build in the near future and would love to get as much insight as to how to do it as possible. It's my first race car so I'm all eyes and ears with respect to tips and pitfalls!

Thanks obzezzed350!

Jagerz -

Work travel looks like it is calming down so I should be able to make a good progress on the build.

This weekend I hope to get the following done:

• Front suspension - Just need to torque everything down
    Remove dust shields - Passenger side front done (cut it out by hand, then used a Dremel to smooth it out)
    Wheel Studs - Passenger side studs out now
    Front Brembo installs, SS lines, rotors and pads - Not started
    Front and Rear Sway Bars
    Get started on the rear suspension and temp install the seat
    Tires mounted on wheels - Done just need to pick them up today

Well got most everything done I intended!

Dust Shields cut and wheel studs in

DustShieldCut.jpg

Front Suspension done, Brembo Calipers, SS Lines, Hawk DTC 70 Pads in and torqued down with the exception of the Calipers. I'll torque them down after I bleed them.

BrembosIn.jpg

BFG R1s mounted to the Enkei RPF1s...man they look great

DSC_01552.jpg

I removed the front sway bar but didn't get a chance to install the new one and I didn't get started on the seat or any of the work in the rear.

Organized Chaos aka the work space

ProjectCentral.jpg

Thanks Jim!

This weekends accomplishments:

Got the front Sway Bar installed. Put new bushings in as well. I just ordered stock replacements from the local Nissan dealer.

FSwayBar_zpsffbe9d12.jpg

Removed the A\C compressor. Just need to finish removing the lines.

ACDelete_zps94b6f0b9.jpg

Started the rear suspension work.

• Removed stock studs
    Removed stock damper and spring
    Cleaned things up a bit
    Installed KW damper
    Went to temp install the springs (waiting on the spacers) but realized I am missing both rear spring perches. I'll give Nissan a shout in the am. Hopefully not an issue to send them along.

RearHub_2_zpsc912ed76.jpg

RearSuspension_zps20695c03.jpg

Also worked on the seat and painting some of the interior. I'll post pics of that work when its done.