AI #'d classes maybe?

darreng505

Hi,

I'm planning/training to enter AIX sometime next year or the following. Was talking to a Ford Racing guy at superfest who brought up a good point about AIX, sometimes a fella brings a $400k car to that group and crushes the competition.

Now, I don't want to go plain AI because I'd have to de-tune and strip down my built Boss, but my question/idea is why can't there be AI #'d classes like in TT, ST etc. to better bracket AI class cars?

For example, my boss doesn't qualify for AI but and might be competitive in AIX locally (at 450rwhp) but won't be competitive at national level. Seems like there should be AI1,AI2, AIX....

Thoughts?

Darren

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darreng505

• nape

• robbodleimages

• Grizlbits

If you don't want to de-tune, go race in ST. Between CMC, CMC2, SI, AI and AIX we don't need anymore classes.

BTW, lots of people de-tune for AI

Well I might do that, but my point is that there is quite a bit of room between AI and AIX. CMC, Spec IRON, etc. are below AI. For example, AI cars running 376rwhp and AIX cars running 700rwhp....makes it hard to fit a car with 500rwhp in there....

For $400,000 I'll build you 4 cars that will crush most of the competition (except me of course).

Are you saying your Turbo car cost more than $400,000? Is it really going to take a half million dollar car to crush the mighty Chris Griswold?!!!

Oh and while I'm at it...Looks like SI is between AI and AIX looking at the latest results from the Great Lakes Region.

Carry on,

Sidney

If you don't want to de-tune, go race in ST. Between CMC, CMC2, SI, AI and AIX we don't need anymore classes.

Ummm...they killed CMC a couple years ago. Just one CMC class now which is the old CMC2 now called CMC. Confused yet?

Sidney

For $400,000 I'll build you 4 cars that will crush most of the competition (except me of course).

Are you saying your Turbo car cost more than $400,000? Is it really going to take a half million dollar car to crush the mighty Chris Griswold?!!! Oh and while I'm at it...Looks like SI is between AI and AIX looking at the latest results from the Great Lakes Region.

Sidney

Nope, I'm saying I can build a kick ass turbo AIX car for $100,000 or less... - But you still have to drive it! They are a bit of a handful.

As far as the SI versus AI: Dean Martin is a freak of nature - especially in the rain....

Well I might do that, but my point is that there is quite a bit of room between AI and AIX. CMC, Spec IRON, etc. are below AI. For example, AI cars running 376rwhp and AIX cars running 700rwhp....makes it hard to fit a car with 500rwhp in there....

Not everyone can get a plastic trophy and a winner's sticker. Your best bet if you want to race in AI/X and have competition is to buy a restrictor from Rehagen and a bunch of lead from your local plumbing supply and come run AI. My AI car makes 300ish rwhp and it runs pretty good against cars with 360-370rwhp.

Otherwise, ST1 would probably fit a 500rwhp S197 pretty well.

Are you saying your Turbo car cost more than $400,000? Is it really going to take a half million dollar car to crush the mighty Chris Griswold?!!! Oh and while I'm at it...Looks like SI is between AI and AIX looking at the latest results from the Great Lakes Region.

Sidney

Nope, I'm saying I can build a kick ass turbo AIX car for $100,000 or less... - But you still have to drive it! They are a bit of a handful.

As far as the SI versus AI: Dean Martin is a freak of nature - especially in the rain....

And he just won GTS class in PWC yesterday....it was incredible. Qualified 8th or 9th (I forget) and slipped through a pile up on a turn...good for him.

CG: How much does your car weigh?

Edited by Guest

Not everyone can get a plastic trophy and a winner's sticker. Your best bet if you want to race in AI/X and have competition is to buy a restrictor from Rehagen and a bunch of lead from your local plumbing supply and come run AI. My AI car makes 300ish rwhp and it runs pretty good against cars with 360-370rwhp.

Otherwise, ST1 would probably fit a 500rwhp S197 pretty well.

What is that supposed to mean? I'll be collecting my share of plastic trophys and winner stickers whichever class I run in....

Ummm...they killed CMC a couple years ago. Just one CMC class now which is the old CMC2 now called CMC. Confused yet?

Sidney

And this is kind of my point of this thread. I know things are what they are, but honestly, why can't it be simpler?

For example:

ST1,2,3,U

TT1,2,3,U

AI1,2,3,U (AI spec, etc.)

Part of why people don't want to see new classes is that the names and conventions are all over the place.

1...2...3....etc separates power/weight , other rules, etc. 1's are generally better than 2's....better than 3's...etc. across the classes. Easy to understand.

AI,TT,ST, define type of race, car models, and various rules differences.

Much simpler IMHO.

Try this:

AI4=CMC

AI3=SI

AI2=AI

AI1=AIX

There you go...four classes just like want. Now pick one.

Sidney........

Try this:

AI4=CMC

AI3=SI

AI2=AI

AI1=AIX

Cute.

But there's still a huge gap between AI2 and AI1....compared to AI4-AI2....that's the bigger problem. Not just the naming....

But there's still a huge gap between AI2 and AI1....compared to AI4-AI2....that's the bigger problem. Not just the naming....

Here, I fixed it for you.

AI3=CMC

AI2=SI

AI1=AI

AIU=AIX

The rise of anti-class poliferation isn't new, and it definitely isn't getting weaker either. If I were you, I'd figure out a way to make myself fit the class structure and not vice-versa.

The rise of anti-class poliferation isn't new, and it definitely isn't getting weaker either. If I were you, I'd figure out a way to make myself fit the class structure and not vice-versa.

Well, yeah, I will have to. I just wanted to offer some feedback. I think the emergence of Spec Iron and restructuring of CMC shows that its an evolving system and one driven, in part, from feedback.

1,2,3,4 is easier to grasp than CMC,SI,AI,AIX, since it's also used in ST and TT. Just my $0.02. Back to your regularly scheduled programs!

How about this:

10 cars, 1 AI class = 10 cars racing each other.

10 cars, 4 AI classes = 2.5 cars racing against each other.

1 AI class = better

Plus you don't have to figure what 3/4s of 1/2 a car width is

these class rules predate the boss 302 and you had to have known the structure was in place. there are many that restrict their boss 302's to race in ai and think of the money they saved from building them up further.

st2 exists if you want to race more hp than ai but not as much as aix.

they dont allow 1200whp cars in nascar sprint cup or 700hp cars in world challenge gts. as you mentioned dean's win at detroit in wc. its about the racing more than the hp number.

How about this:

10 cars, 1 AI class = 10 cars racing each other.

10 cars, 4 AI classes = 2.5 cars racing against each other.

1 AI class = better

+1

Try this:

AI4=CMC

AI3=SI

AI2=AI

AI1=AIX

Cute.

The "X" in AIX is for extreme. It has unlimited HP. There will always be a huge cap between infinity and what ever came before infinity

What is that supposed to mean? I'll be collecting my share of plastic trophys and winner stickers whichever class I run in....

Sorry, you get a little cynical after years of rule changes and you just sit down and pray for rules stability adn the car count to come back.

Try this:

AI4=CMC

AI3=SI

AI2=AI

AI1=AIX

Cute.

The "X" in AIX is for extreme. It has unlimited HP. There will always be a huge cap between infinity and what ever came before infinity

being fair, i dont think its unreasonable to ask if aix as a class is working very well. if you combined aix and su, you would still struggle to get any kind of car count.

personally, i would expect to see some evolution of the ai power to weight ratio in the coming years.

personally, i would expect to see some evolution of the ai power to weight ratio in the coming years.

It already happened last year. 9.5:1 for FR ABS, 9.25:1 for other ABS, 9:1 for real man's brakes.

I hope it doesn't change again. I'm still down 15RWHP from that rule and I'm hoping to fix it before next year.

Sorry, you get a little cynical after years of rule changes and you just sit down and pray for rules stability adn the car count to come back.

TJ, just give in and drink the Blue oval Kool-Aid