17" wheel in CMC future

snakebit

Considering turning my 04 GT into a CMC car instead of AI, due to cost. I have some 17 x 9's for the car and was wondering if it's possible that a rule change was possible in 09. I really don't see where it would be an advantage, if anything, more mass and unsprung weight. It's just that I already have these wheels.

John

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• Varkwso1548534736

• KiMifan

• TurboShortBus

John, I see your logic here - if the tires are limited to 255 then there isn't much of a technical reason to NOT permit them in either class. I agree.

I have assumed that both tires sizes will be acceptable some day down the road. Just not today.

Whether it changes in the future or not, you can run that car in CMC-2 right now with 17s, and run better brakes as well.

That is a good option but the SOHC comes in 10-20HP at best under the lowest HP on the chart with no legal way to make up the difference and much heavier than the min 3150 for <260hp so your basically underpowered and over weight. Some are going to go this route but I'm not. I did at the NATS to keep it alive and I was over by 200+#, that's a big disadvantage. You could go with a cobra (aluminum) block to shave off 80# or so and that would help but will cost a bit.

YMMV

Time to step in here.

The 04 you have is just like my car,it will be at 250-255HP and the target @3150 lbs is 260,so that is just perfect for CMC2.

So stick with your 17's.

2009 may or may not include both sizes for CMC and CMC2, but I can tell you this..we just had our 1st weekend of extensive testing to see if there was any difference there, but we need at least a few more tests from this point on so no announcment is available right now.

Did you know Toyo 17's are cheaper than 16's??

Tony Guaglione

I will most likely have a really good update on this by the end of May.

Gentleman,

Thanks for all of your responses. I was hoping to build for CMC and not CMC2. NASA SE only has a handful of CMC cars (5 registered for Road Atlanta in 2 weeks) and no CMC2 that I've seen. Hey, I guess I could win every weekend in CMC2!

I guess I'll get the car dynoed asap and see where I stand.

Thanks again,

John

You could run a restrictor like I did to get down to the 230HP and go into CMC.

Ask your regional coordinator if you can run the 17's in regular CMC,since the car count is not huge you could bring that up with whoever your running with.

Its a thought

Tony Guaglione .

Brad you're right, i could buy 16"s and I guess I will. Also, putting a restrictor plate on makes alot of sense if I'm over HP.

I see that you live in Thousand Oaks. That's a beautiful part of the world. I"ve been there a few times. Back around 1990-1991 I had the priviledge of photographing the clubhouse, 4 model homes, and the swim/tennis facility at Sherwood CC.

• 3 months later...
2009 may or may not include both sizes for CMC and CMC2, but I can tell you this..we just had our 1st weekend of extensive testing to see if there was any difference there, but we need at least a few more tests from this point on so no announcment is available right now.

Did you know Toyo 17's are cheaper than 16's??

Tony Guaglione

I will most likely have a really good update on this by the end of May.

I'm just checking on this issue before I buy a bunch of 16" wheels. Are 17" wheels even a consideration for 2009 ,and beyond, in CMC1?

• 5 months later...

attempting to change the subject.

ooops! bad selection. should be some good reading though.

-edited cause i was surfing and driving.

Edited by Guest

Gentleman,

Thanks for all of your responses. I was hoping to build for CMC and not CMC2. NASA SE only has a handful of CMC cars (5 registered for Road Atlanta in 2 weeks) and no CMC2 that I've seen. Hey, I guess I could win every weekend in CMC2!

I guess I'll get the car dynoed asap and see where I stand.

Thanks again,

John

We will be entering a 88 Mustang into CMC in the 2009 season in NASA-SE.

I do wish I could run the cheaper 17" tires.

Would a 255/40-17 really make much of a difference over the CMC-spec 255/50-16? Granted, the 16" tire has a larger diameter, but the widths are the same (255mm size code and inflated overall width 10.4" wide per Toyo's site) in the RA1s. Note that the R888s have a width difference (tread width 10.0" for 16" vs 10.4" for 17").

For example, in Time Trial, tire size points are based only on the width of the tire, while the wheel diameter is not a factor.

Mark

• 6 months later...

Having bought 6 R888s in 16 inch sizes already - I am going to push the 17 inch option here in the SE for CMC. Tire cost is the issue. The chance of any performance advantage is very, very small.

• 1 month later...

Is there any new info on this subject? This is one of a handful of rules stopping me from taking the plunge into CMC. What is the intent of this rule? If 17's are being allowed regionally, and are proven to be of no advantage why are 17's still not allowed?

Is there any new info on this subject? This is one of a handful of rules stopping me from taking the plunge into CMC. What is the intent of this rule? If 17's are being allowed regionally, and are proven to be of no advantage why are 17's still not allowed?

they are legal in CMC-2, so whay not go there? all CMC cars will one day end up in CMC-2.

Trevor,

We've already talked about the 17's amoungst the current Midwest CMC drivers and have agreed that 17's are fine for now. Once National (and not Glenn) desides if there is only going to be one class or not, then as a region, we will determine the future use of 17's in CMC.

(Be aware...should you race outside of the Midwest/Great Lakes regions you will need to run CMC2 due to your 17's.)

Right now...2010 will have all the current CMC drivers back in CMC.

Sidney

CMC #64

Trevor,

We've already talked about the 17's amoungst the current Midwest CMC drivers and have agreed that 17's are fine for now. Once National (and not Glenn) desides if there is only going to be one class or not, then as a region, we will determine the future use of 17's in CMC.

(Be aware...should you race outside of the Midwest/Great Lakes regions you will need to run CMC2 due to your 17's.)

Right now...2010 will have all the current CMC drivers back in CMC.

Sidney

CMC #64

this is well w/in the rights of any region to decide. like he said, its not to be expected in all regoins or at Nationals. if your comptitors have no issue w/ it, have at it.

they are legal in CMC-2, so whay not go there? all CMC cars will one day end up in CMC-2.

because a CMC car is not competitive in CMC2 - without more money spent.

2010 will still have CMC

because a CMC car is not competitive in CMC2 - without more money spent.

2010 will still have CMC

and that is wrong.

i run faster lap times than all but 1 of our CMC-2 cars. and that car is only up on power over me, all other factors are the same. the lap time difference can be verified by looking at our info on mylaps.com.

we are in Group4. i am CMC - Glenn Landrum, and he is James Proctor in CMC-2. in the past when we were both CMC, it was a toss up between us. he now gets me bu a couple tenths.

besides, what are the costs your looking at for CMC-2 power?

besides, what are the costs your looking at for CMC-2 power?

Jeff may be looking at this from the "swap heads/intake/cam on a 225 hp stock Mustang" point of view, instead of the "just add a restrictor plate to a later model F-body" point of view.

But, from what I have seen, I wouldn't just assume that a car making CMC power would not be competitive in CMC2, since other important things like driving skill, car preparation, and simple reliability can vary greatly and can often make up the power difference. We have a fairly high-powered AI car down here that can't keep up with lower-powered AI entries, largely due to that thing behind the wheel and not necessarily the difference in weight (a different driver in the high-powered car proved that significantly quicker lap times are possible). Hell, most of the AI cars down here outrun the odd AIX car that occasionally shows up.

Mark