Enduro Tips & Tricks needed!

Glenn

Alright, come April 19/20 event weekend we will run our first ever Enduro (only 4 hours). this will be NASA TX's first ever Enduro as well as mine.

i'm looking for leasons learned (school of hard knocks type stuff).

i'm also looking for re-fueling tricks that are E1 legal. things like fuel jug mods and stuff to make re-fueling quicker and safer.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• tacovini

• Al F.

• King Matt1548534716

• Members

The trick to getting fuel out of the jug is getting air into the jug. Cut a hole in the jug near the bottom, install a 1-2" 1/4 turn ball valve. Now hoist the jug up on your shoulder Nascar style and open the valve: woooosh!

You can cut/drill out the OEM fuel nozzle thing just inside the fill tube. Without that you can fit something like a 1.5" hose tightly into the tube...pretty much a must have prior to the deal above.

Or just buy some Nascar style fuel dump cans...

Same goes for the tank vent. Fuel can only go in as fast as air can go out. Google "Hunsaker" for fuel jugs.

Or just buy some Nascar style fuel dump cans...

you need to read the Enduro rules.

I love it when chicks ... er cats ... fight ...

flying-cat-fight.jpg

If you are running ES, "NASCAR"-style dump cans are legal, as are overhead refueling rigs and dry-break systems. Nothing prevents you from running ES with your CMC car.

Matt's right, as you'll have just as much chance winning ES as you will E1. My advice is to do it for a 'fun' event, because that's just what you'll have (speaking from experience). Seriously, I had more fun in the enduro than I had at any of the sprint races - you will love it.

Tires and brakes are a non-issue in a 3 hour enduro. Just drive 9/10ths so the brakes don't go away for the 2nd and 3rd drivers.

Oh, and make sure your transponder is on at the start.

CMC cars have NO chance to win in E1..The miatas, hondas and BMWs can all turn better lap times and they get more than 25% better gas mileage..You have to drive the car 8/10, as soon as you get within a second of sprints times, the tires go away, and the car is junk for at least 10 laps..

Like Brad said, go and have a good time..the way the rules are written, there is no way a 3200 pound car on 16" tires that can only take 10 gallons a stop can be competitive..Trust me, we went almost 100 more laps than any other CMC car at the 25hr this year, and still was behind over 80 laps...

Have other CMC cars in the enduro, and then you can race for a win..

there is no max re-fuel in a 4 hour race.

and TWS is a 2.9 mile track where HP is important.

i agree that SM2 and MX5 cars are gonna be hard to deal w/.

but this was about ways to mod the fuel jugs and such. any pics?

Glenn...For the 25 at T'Hill we used a large funnel and no hose on the fuel jug. Take the top off and you can pour the fuel in as fast as you dare. If the funnel has a small opening just cut it off so it fits in the filler neck or fuel cell neck and pour away. One tip is to pour down the side of the funnel so the fuel swirls down the inside. This prevents the fuel from "glugging" down the neck of the funnel. You can pour 5 gallons in in about 6-8 seconds. Also you can put a splash collar on the opposite side you are pouring down...ours was a high tech piece of cardboard duct taped to the funnel. Hope this helps and good luck. Gary

Glenn..not sure if you're running stock gas filler...if so, when we ran the Firehawk series one year with Memo Gidley (whatever became of him anyway) the hot trick was to replace the stock filler neck with one from a diesel...bigger diameter intake pipe...and to jack the left rear 24" in the air when filling to get maximum in the tank...RP

i've been thinking of cutting the OEM neck off about 6-8" below the cap and grafting (rubber hose and T-bolt clapms) on one of those generic fill necks and cap. but i must keep the car CMC legal.

fs-neckscaps.jpg

I recall the pertinent issue w/ refuelin was not how fast , but rather not to spill. fuel on the track was subject to time penalties...

That's true. Spill one drop and you can be penalized with a 5 minute hold in the hot pit lane. But there is still a huge advantage to being able to fuel quickly and cleanly. I ran a 2-hour enduro last year and got killed in the pits by the other CMC car we were running against because they not only needed to take on less fuel (thanks to running a large fuel cell) but because it took us forever to dump 9 gallons out of two jugs. The difference in pit stop times cost us the race. We were 2 minutes slower in the pits and lost by 1 minute 20 seconds at the end.

• Members

We SO did not lose! You guys cheated and you know it. Somehow Tony gets to be the one to "confirm" with T&S that they counted us right...but what team was Tony in??? We kicked your asses.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Team Ford Mustang WINS!! Team Chev Camaro comes in 1.5 laps behind..like I said seems like yesterday.

Tony Guaglione

Boy those Camaro drivers are sore loser's aren't they Kevin....Its really time they just give up trying to claim this one

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Team Ford Mustang WINS!! Team Chev Camaro comes in 1.5 laps behind..like I said seems like yesterday.

Tony Guaglione

Boy those Camaro drivers are sore loser's aren't they Kevin....Its really time they just give up trying to claim this one

Superior pit stops and superior platform (even though it has the smallest engine and was the heaviest car) led to the VICTORY! Fastest car by two laps.

Now I know why Al really moved to Texas, in hopes of actually winning an enduro. Buy Pat's Mustang and then you'll have a chance.

and all this is helping me how?

if i post up a thread about how Brad lost the enduro, would it end up on the topic in the title?

its all about me in here folks!

Glenn, Glenn, Glenn...

Don't you know it's only "all about you" in your head? Left alone, all things relate to me somehow. Once you accept that, things will become so much easier for you.

What kind? 10-15 seconds is good for a well-vented one, assuming your tank will fill that fast. On the Buell endurance race bikes I crew on we can dump 3.5 gallons out of a Hunsaker jug with a dreak-break fitting in around 11 seconds, but that was only possible once the fuel tank venting was optimized.