Enduro Tips & Tricks needed!

Glenn

i'm talking about a run of the mill 5 gallon fuel jug dumping into a stock 4th gen tank.

right now its taking about 1 minute to empty 5 gallons of water onto the ground.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• tacovini

• Al F.

• King Matt1548534716

That's going to kill you in an enduro fuel stop, unless it's taking everyone else just as long. But the team that can do it in 30 seconds is going to have a big advantage. It's all in the venting, so either modify your jugs or get different ones with better vents. "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

I'm in the same boat as you Glenn. In the 90 minute ract that Rob Liebbe did at the last event we put 9 gallons into his car and it took about 3 1/2 minutes.

The 5 minute minimum pit stop does help some but it would still be nice to get the fuel in as quickly as possible.

If it arrives on time, I'll be testing a new Hunsacker fuel jug this week. According to their website, it "will empty in 10 seconds". As previously mentioned, venting is key.

They aren't cheap ($50+$10 shipping) compared to regular fuel jugs, but look to be the ticket for one of our enduros since we can't use any type of dry-break system for fueling. That's a real shame, too, as good used dry-break components aren't all that expensive.

Fuel Safe makes an 11 gallon dump jug, but it's more than twice the cost ($170) of the Hunsacker 11 gallon jug ($70).

BTW - if you decide to order a Hunsacker jug, buy from www.hunsackersports.com, not upr.com. Already made that mistake, and won't make it again.

I don't believe those were allowed in the enduro we ran. Something about it not being a "regular" 5-gallon jug as specified in the rules.

Best to check with the race director prior to spending $$...

8.2.4. (This section is not applicable to ES and ESR): All refueling must be done using NASA approved 5-gallon containers,...

8.12.2. All classes (except ES and ESR) are prohibited from using any type of “(re)fueling rig†or “quick fill method.†The definition of “(re)fueling rig†or “quick fill method†(for the sake of prohibition) is refueling an E0, E1, E2, or E3 class car using any of the following items: Gas containers other than the standard approved 5-gallon plastic gas cans, specialized nozzles (aircraft), “Dry Breaks†(Nextel Cup / Grand Am), ... or other devices deemed, by the Race Director, to be outside the spirit and intent of these rules. [Note: This is not to discourage developing more efficient refueling techniques and procedures working within these guidelines.] The use of hoses; funnels; clamps; PVC & ABS fitting, valves, and pipes; threaded connectors; roofing supplies; various plumbing supplies; and most similar items found at a local hardware store are generally allowed.

So this tells me I can modify a "NASA approved" 5-gallon can (within the rules), OR have NASA approve the Hunsaker can. It was not approved in CA when we last ran.

Am I missing something?

Alright, come April 19/20 event weekend we will run our first ever Enduro (only 4 hours). this will be NASA TX's first ever Enduro as well as mine.

i'm looking for leasons learned (school of hard knocks type stuff).

i'm also looking for re-fueling tricks that are E1 legal. things like fuel jug mods and stuff to make re-fueling quicker and safer.

Glenn, Glenn, Glenn....polling the masses looking for "tips & tricks" is not going to be enough for you to beat the "Team Texas Ford" of Liebbe/Covini. You keep worrying about how to get fuel in the car and Rob & I will drive past you.

The faster you try to put fuel in the car the greater your chances of spilling. You spill...you pay... anywhere from 2-5 minutes in penalties. It's not worth it. Take your time and we'll show you how it's done.

218989.jpg

yep. someone needs to read the rules.

Right....because you're the only one who knows how to read rules....right Glenn???

The Enduro rules don't spell out exactly what a "NASA approved" fuel jug is....just that it has to be "NASA approved" / "regular fuel jug".

Grey and subjective, to say the least.

Wait until we are forced to start using these jugs:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/4777,214_CARB-Compliant-Spill-Proof-Fuel-Jugs.html

Spill proof with a "dry break" fuel spout. Yikes.....

So Adam, are you running the enduro w/ us, or will you be in Cali durring that time?

i gave up and ordered a Hunsaker today. if its not legal, oh well, guess i'll have to win w/ 3 minute 10 gallon fuel stops.

• Members

Todd, we'll be ok. We're planning on it taking you a while to get into your driving suit! There is no way that Ford is beating Team MoonWell!!

Driving suit?

Are they requiring helmets and suits for this enduro?

I'm going to have to look for mine, I forgot where I put it!

Rob & I spent 5 hours in the shop tonight going over the car.

We'll do the same next Wednesday.

The Evil GM Warriors are no match for the Texas Ford Rangers!!!

-=- Todd

got my Hunsaker jug today. very disapointed. the outlet of the jug where its threaded to accept the filler hose was cut off at the 30 degree angle. no way in hell the cap was gonna seal. it also took 40+ seconds to dump 5 gallons, not the 10 they claim.

We're going to run hard and kick ass in the Enduro - and have a hell of a good time doin it - in a Fox body no less. Now where is that fuel spill kit? Wait!!!!! Todd is getting us an Exxon spin doctor to explain how spilled gas is actually a good thing. We're going to fill fast, spill a bunch, and you'll never know it!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

i guess i never updated the results of the 2008 Texas 4 Hour Enduro that i started this thread for, we won E1 and were 3rd overall. we lost to a ES turbo Miata and a ESR spec racer ford. we were only 2 laps down to the overall winner. that included 5 MER prep'ed cars/teams.

we just ran an 8 hour event April 18th and are awaiting the official results still. we were flagged as the OVERALL winner and of course the E1 class winner. this year was a 17 car field (smaller than last year) that also included 5 MER prep'ed cars/teams (one was a Koni Challenge RX8). the race was stopped 40 minutes short of 8 hrs due to darkness (not planned to go past 8pm but the start was delayed an hour due to thunderstorms). we ran 173 laps on the 2.9 mile track in right around 7hrs of green flag racing.

E1 cars do stand a chance. didnt Saini/MER win the 25?

official as of today.

THE NASA TEXAS 8-HOUR ENDURO RESULTS ARE IN!!!

After many hours of reconciliation the final results of the NASA Texas 8 hour have been tabulated. Congratulations to the #70 team of Law Motorsports for reigning victorious over the clock and the elements. Along with their overall victory they claimed the E1 class victory. Other class winners were: in ES #79 Team Apex, in E0 #81 Xpel Motorsports, and in E2 #86 Mellow Yellow. Thank you for your patience while we worked through the issues that were caused by a problem with the timing loop. The full results will be posted on mylaps.com shortly. We are looking forward to next years Enduro.