NASA National Championships

nasa-rm

I just want to say THANK YOU to ALL of my fellow CMC/CMC2 racers at Nationals. Despite being the slowest car in either class I can say I had a GREAT time and learned that I have a long way to go to get to the level of all of you.

You guys were just plain flyin' around the track!

I will definately be back and after this past weekend have some ideas of where to improve the car as well as my own driving. This was my first event without a rookie sticker on the car.

Again, thank you to all of you for making this past few days one I wont ever forget!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn

• nasa-rm

• GT4Point6

• Lady in Nomex

Mike explained it well. However, I'd like to address the aspect of "teardown".

One of the reasons I really liked CMC from the outset was the no teardown rule. When the teardown verbage was added for the '06 Nats, I was not happy (do a search here, and on the NASA Forums).

My goal as RD for '08 and '09 was to perform serious scrutiny without actually removing major components (pulling heads/cams/trans/etc). The NASA National Tech officials have a litany of tools to utilize to accomplish our goal of scrutiny without performing an actual "teardown". Tools like a whistler (compression), dial indicator (cam lift), and more.

Having access to equipment like that, with tech officials that are well versed in using them, makes our ability to tech without teardown, invaluable.

The CMC directors and drivers both did an OUTSTANDING job! Thanks guys!

I had a blast running in CMC and PTC. Way off the pace in PTC however, 7-8 seconds from the leaders, I think Brady finished 5th or so in PTC.

Ran the PTC race on Sunday and had the fuel pump give out about half way, sputtered, picked up, sputtered and then if fell flat on it's face on the exit of suicide and got some rear bumper paint swap with a H1 car when I should have been accelerating. Only minor paint damage to both cars however.

Very thankful it happened in the PTC race and not the CMC race

I watched the rest of the race from turn 13.

My first ever Mech DNF and tow in and the designed tow strap from IO port or Pegasus broke as soon as the tow commenced. Not the greatest of straps, maybe for small car it would work better.

If you have not been able to enter your CMC car into a PT class do so...very fun, and very educational...Kevins and my car was at least 1000lbs more than the rest of the field (over 30) so car control, passing strategy, and making room for other cars in mid corner (because almost all the cars are way faster) make for great seat time..

I finished 5th overall (out of 30 cars), and 4th in PTC...The top 4 cars were running AI times...(that is how fast these little imports are through he twisties)..

Never had a tow strap fail on me, like you I have not seen them that much!

Ours ripped off while getting dragged onto the rollback on Saturday AM. Not a good weekend for tow straps.

I will be redesigning for 2010.

What tires did you guys run with during the championship race? We were on pretty fresh R888's (basically only 1 race weekend on them before nationals) which started to really lose some grip about halfway through the championship race.

Great Drives, and Great Fun this year at Miller! Thanks everyone for all the help and support all week! It seemed the 'car bugs' went from car to car... and pit to pit... but all were able to get back running again, and on track for some great racing!

BADVENM... we were running RA1's the entire weekend, and they performed Flawlessly.

Also... Huge KUDOS to CARBOTECH BRAKES! I don't know about anyone else... but my car braked the same from Lap 1 to Lap 17! Amazing!

It was great racing, and a Blast! Adam & Al did a great job communicating with the drivers/groups every day, and (IMO) we all seemed to be one of the most organized groups out there!

Anyone who missed this year... don't miss next year!! MMP is a GREAT FACILITY! Great Paddock Space, and very close to lots of shopping (read... PARTS STORES)

Thanks to everyone!

Dave

I ran R888s. The set I raced on had 2 weekends on them before the Nationals, they were complete grease balls by mid race. I tried a set of fresh full thread R888 on Saturday, they had a bit better grip but dribbled like basketballs during hard cornering.

Mike

I ran R888s. The set I raced on had 2 weekends on them before the Nationals, they were complete grease balls by mid race. I tried a set of fresh full thread R888 on Saturday, they had a bit better grip but dribbled like basketballs during hard cornering.

Mike

Interesting that you mentioned the dribbling on newer R888's, I had the same thing...most noticeable around turn 1, I also had the grease balls mid race.

If you have not been able to enter your CMC car into a PT class do so...very fun, and very educational...Kevins and my car was at least 1000lbs more than the rest of the field (over 30) so car control, passing strategy, and making room for other cars in mid corner (because almost all the cars are way faster) make for great seat time..

I finished 5th overall (out of 30 cars), and 4th in PTC...The top 4 cars were running AI times...(that is how fast these little imports are through he twisties)..

Ya, what Brady said. I'm used to being in the slowest class in our run groups and in PT class, it's a mix. Does make the corner and brake zones different and well the straights are easy as you would expect.

I ran 888's on Thur and Fri am then switched to my RA1's that were on the car last year and set the track record at BW. That was the last time they seen the track and they did great the rest of the weekend. The only dribbling I had was in the double apex u-turn (turn 5?) left hander and they would chatter a bit in the mid turn more so than dribble.

My times look faster with the RA1' but I was also getting faster with more track time so not sure which would be faster for me given equal track time. The RA1's did feel like they had more corner exit grip which minimized the push a bit over the 888's. Corner entry felt simular.

I just checked my PT times and ran 2:16's without the restrictor (2;19 was my best CMC restricted time). Brady ran 2:14's and the top guys were 2:11's in PTB.

After my 2:16, it went 2:17, 2:19, then the pump went out... I could tell it was getting slower.

• Members

My thoughts...

First of all, congratulations to all of the competitors, families, and crews that made it to MMP. It is a HUGE job/sacrifice due to time and cost...but after my first championship week I am convinced it is worth it.

Most of all congratulations to our newly crowned national champions, Glenn Landrum (CMC) and Dave Schotz (CMC2)!!!

MMP is absolutely first class, the best road racing facility I've been to. NASA brings in the best of the best for race control, timing & scoring, tech, etc. so the whole show runs like a Swiss watch. It is great knowing you are dead on schedule for four days!

Adam really stepped up the post race tech to ensure we had a fair fight. It was awesome to take some wheels off cars, tear them down, and weigh the naked wheels. Thanks to Toyo for providing this service for free. Of course we sent plenty of cars to the on site dyno, and we used a GPS based MQGPS-TraQr, courtesy of MaxQdata, to enable comparison of on track performance. Even though the level of tech was much higher than you'd find at a regional event, I think the impact to the drivers really was minimal...except for the very first session!

Unfortunately CMC had a very light car count relative to other classes and this is the only disappointing aspect of my experience. The best part of this entire concept to me is being able to hang out with drivers from different parts of the country so hopefully in years to come, without the impact of two tires and other things going on we can get a bigger group so more of us can enjoy a big show.

226/297. i also dyno'ed Wed on my own nickle and got 228/301. then the next day w/ 220/287. we think it was the 91 fuel i was putting in the car vs the 93 i normally run. otherwise, i cant explain the drop in power over the 2 days. both times, the car came off track and straight onto the dyno.

Thanks Glenn.

In a way, this confirms my experience with the DynoJet: it does a reasonable job of adjusting to altitude. You went from Dallas to SLC, with almost no change.

I know there were folks who were concerned about how things would change.

-chris

Hey guys... Well... I've made 2 video's of Lap 1... from my car... one is a very HQ version (600 MB)... and the other a LQ version (60 MB).

I'll try to get entire race uploaded by end of the week.

It'd be nice to see Nick Steels and the Chicca/Brown cars too.

High Quality

Low Quality

PS My car dynoed 238 RWHP 332 RWTQ

You'll see the HP difference in the vids!

Wish everyone could have joined us... it was wonderful weather the entire week!

Could/would you guys share what gear ratios you were running? If not I understand...just trying to gain some more knowledge. Our team was running a 308. I'm trying to figure out how the lower hp/tq CMC cars that were a few car lengths behind me were pulling and passing me on the standing starts.

Our dyno numbers at 5900 feet three weeks ago were 247/291 on a recently rebuilt and possibly getting stronger engine...putting us at the lower end of CMC2. We ran out of time to come up with a solution to get down to CMC numbers (our goal was 230 to keep the weight at 3100 pounds, also to remain legit in our region) so we decided to run CMC2.

Dave

Edited by Guest