CMC Wing Poll Inside!

Glenn

Should we keep wings for CMC-2?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep wings for CMC-2?

• Keep wings!
    • Get rid of wings!

From a rules enforcement POV, I would like to see a 100% OEM body. If it was a factory set-up = legal. None of this "dealer installed" B/S. No Roush, no Steeda, no SLP.

I can live w/ spoilers. I'm also good w/ OEM wings. I do have issue w/ the 4th gen guys and the way the lexan stuff was exicuted. They remove the OEM spoiler from a 4th gen and add the lexan part. Since no 4th gen came from the factory w/ that part removed, it should be required to be left in place. No platform should have its body modified below the minimum trim level offered from the factory. Now, if the car came w/ the R/S spoiler in place, I'm good w/ its removal since the base modle car came w/out that part in place. Same holds true for a LX or GT Fox. Lots of different OEM configurations, but would you allow a GT to run w/ the hatch off since spoilers are allowed to be removed?

I also have a big issue w/ elevated wings (airfoils) and the $700 limit in place. Thats awfully close to the same limit placed on important stuff like shocks and brakes.

This is just my POV. It does not mean any of my opinions reflect future rules changes. In fact, I run a ZR28 spoiler from LG Motorsports. I would be glad to remove it if the rule changed.

Also, if I won 2 National Championships and 2 3rd place finishes at Nationals w/ a AI type airfoil wing, how many more folks would feel compelled to need one? Even if I zero'ed the wing out for minimal drag and downforce, would some of you not feel the need to have one?

My personal opinion set-up wise is if a wing makes you faster in a CMC car, you have set-up issues. There is no possible way to make enough downforce on the front of a CMC car to warrant the need for anything close to a airfoil type wing.

Last and not least, it's not what I want that is important. It takes the whole group of Directors to run this show. Ying and Yang.

PS- I'm really glad to see a constructive thread on this site over such a hotly debated topic.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitchntx1548534714

• Glenn

• MHISSTC

• camaro_1le

It takes the whole group of Directors to run this show.

What about the little people? You know, the customer?

Let them eat cake?

Let them eat cake?

Why are you worried about Adam? You aren't little people and don't need to be eating cake for t-giving

Jerry-not picking on you I just think wings should be in AI. So only one wing in Texas, none in RM, Mid A or Great Lakes. Where are all the cars with wings that would be affected by a rule change?

"Wing and A Prayer"

Let them eat cake?

Why are you worried about Adam? You aren't little people and don't need to be eating cake for t-giving

Jerry-not picking on you I just think wings should be in AI. So only one wing in Texas, none in RM, Mid A or Great Lakes. Where are all the cars with wings that would be affected by a rule change?

"Wing and A Prayer"

I have no problem 86ing mine. I did not realize my car was the only one with a wing.

I will not stand in the way of getting rid of them.

JJ

Many forget Roush and Steeda are manufacturers - they aren't tuners, like SLP.

Semantics.

At the end of the day, they all are non-OEM.

Semantics.

AGREED

Can you bring a stock Roush or Steeda to the track and race in CMC2? Not a chance.

Can you bring a stock Roush or Steeda to the track and race in CMC2?

My wallet isn't that deep, but I think depending upon what boxes you checked at the time you ordered the car at the dealership, that answer could be "YES!"

Aren't "manufacturers" required to crash test cars while "tuners" are not?

We could allow only the spoilers/wings with a Ford/GM part number, or allow anything that was originally available through a dealership network that carried a warranty. However, with all the other modifications we are already allowed, I don't think it makes sense to be that restrictive. We still want our race cars to look like race cars. Maybe the words "non-adjustable" and/or "non-configurable" need to be included?

Al posted all of the submittals for change to the rules. I think that was great and I appreciate it. However, it fell short in that there was never any follow-up on the reasoning behind why some changes were accepted and some weren't.

Knowing the process and reasoning behind the decision making gives me the information I need to either gather more data or realize I was just wrong for asking.

Knowing neither means I'll draw my own conclusions ... that is human nature. Without any communicating of reality, humans will create their own. We all do it.

It was pointed out to me that Al had indeed given an explanation as to the why the rules were changed.

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3781

Sorry about that, Al. And I appreciate the person who pointed out my error so that I could make it right.

Let them eat cake?

"Wing and A Prayer"

I have no problem 86ing mine. I did not realize my car was the only one with a wing.

I will not stand in the way of getting rid of them.

JJ

Boudy has one also.

Semantics.

AGREED

Can you bring a stock Roush or Steeda to the track and race in CMC2? Not a chance.

Why couldnt you? Exactly what would a early fox Saleen have that would give it a advantage over a cmc 1 or 2 car?

Brakes= nope Power =nope Wheels=nope.

A 87 Saleen mustang would not have one single advantage over a CMC 1 car let alone a 2 car. Actually it would be the car with the least amount of brakes and power.

But it would have a super sexy spoiler and front bumper cover.

kyle

Semantics.

AGREED

Why couldnt you? Exactly what would a early fox Saleen have that would give it a advantage over a cmc 1 or 2 car?

A 87 Saleen mustang would not have one single advantage over a CMC 1 car let alone a 2 car. Actually it would be the car with the least amount of brakes and power.

kyle

The 89 Saleen came with 292 hp due to head porting, new intake, larger throttle body, and additional small items. Many of these items are not CMC2 legal.

The 93 Saleen came with a supercharged 5.0 but don't worry, they only made 5 of them. (A perfect "collector car" for CMC)

The 94 + Saleens got wilder and more powerful with 400+ hp and superchargers galore.

I know this was done a decade ago but these types of cars should never have been allowed in the series, IMHO.

I'll bring Roush into this:

Who thinks these "legal" Roush Stage 3 bumper covers fit the intent of CMC?

tn_full_noswheels060jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

2007roushstage3fordmustang.jpg

Semantics.

AGREED

kyle

The 89 Saleen came with 292 hp due to head porting, new intake, larger throttle body, and additional small items. Many of these items are not CMC2 legal.

The 93 Saleen came with a supercharged 5.0 but don't worry, they only made 5 of them. (A perfect "collector car" for CMC)

The 94 + Saleens got wilder and more powerful with 400+ hp and superchargers galore.

I know this was done a decade ago but these types of cars should never have been allowed in the series, IMHO.

I'll bring Roush into this:

Who thinks these "legal" Roush Stage 3 bumper covers fit the intent of CMC?

tn_full_noswheels060jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

2007roushstage3fordmustang.jpg

Only the fox Saleen SCs and SSCs had any kind of aftermarket parts on them.

So how would a 87 Saleen have any kind of advantage in CMC 1 let alone 2.

And it would be pretty darn obvious to anyone that a SSC wouldnt be legal by looking at the parts list. Notice in my post I didnt mention the low production one off Saleens.

Not all sn95 Saleens where super charged. Darn near all of them where N/A with stock motors and stock HP ratings.

Dont care about Roush cars. Roush cars where never raced in the 80s in show room stock as a manufacture like the Saleens where.

Is Roush considered a manufacture the way Saleen was?

FYI. Steve Saleen designed the Mecham T/A wing when he worked for them. He then changed the original design and made it fit the mustang when he started Saleen.

So how are you going to write the rule such that only the nut-less Saleens and Roush's get in?

And if there is no advantage, why go to all the trouble?

JUst keep it simple and say they are illegal.