• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MHISSTC

• suck fumes1548534743

• Dillon

• BADVENM

I just picked up a set of forgelines super cheap that came with RA1's. 17x9.5, 19 Pds.

Sweet!

Is that "super cheap" in a Forgeline frame of reference, or in an all other available wheels frame of reference?

If I told you, you wouldn't believe me. On eBay I got 5 wheels with 4 RA1's with 5/32 tread all for $500!!!! Old guy obviously didn't know what they were worth!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a Photobucket account. I posted some pictures before I dashed off to work and have added the comments later.

We added spacers to our test wheel to get it where it needed to be for maximum rear track width. It borders on being completely ridiculous.

Our initial comparison of the 17 x 9.5 MB Old School with a worn out 275 width Toyo RA1 was done with the discontinued 16 x 8 MB Competition wheel with a 255 width RA1 mounted on it.

In the first two pictures you can see the much "flatter" spoke design of the Old School compared the curved spokes of the Competition. You can also somewhat tell that the positive offset is also a little less. It turns out that was a significant difference as the Old Schools won't clear Cobra front calipers without spacers. Unfortunately, max front track width is exceeded with spacers.

Also evident is the lower sidewall profile of the tires on the 17" wheel even through the overall diameters are nearly identical. Not quite as evident is the difference in the amount of sidewall bulge between the two. The 255 tire on the 16x8" wheels had a significant sidewall bulge where the wheel pulled the tire bead inward. That sidewall bulge was almost completely absent from the 275 tire on the 17x9.5" wheel.

3bec6cd9.jpg

9878aaf4.jpg

Tread width and overall tire width are wider on the 275, but not nearly as much as you might think.

ca65c006.jpg

Excuse the crappy picture.

OMG!!!

Fox lengths axles are present on both sides. The left side is the 275 on the 17x9.5 wheel with 1 7/8" worth of spacers to put it at full track width. The right side is the 255 on the 16x8 with no spacers that keep it well within the slightly rolled stock fender.

98e7ded3.jpg

Side exhaust exit and tires extending beyond the body? Is this 1974?

280acfc6.jpg

Sweet looking wheel! Too bad it won't work on the front.

8ef61352.jpg

Edited by Guest

It looks ridiculous now, but once you flare it, its gonna be the sexiest pumpkin evah!!!

Right On!

Somehow I'm going to have to resist the urge to install a set of Mopar dually half fenders with Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mudflaps.

• 1 year later...
Just got a set of MB Battles yesterday afternoon...17x9.5. Weighed one this morning...23 pounds.

Discount Tire direct has them at $169 a piece plus $3 for the valve stem. When you order 4 they subtract $50 off the price so the total price was $638. I think I also get a $30 gift card for something.

Are you guys still running Battles on the pumpkin? And is that what broke a while back?

I'm shopping around for wheels and looking for 17x9.5. Two years after this thread was made, aside from the Battles and expensive wheels, I'm not having much luck, either. I'm beginning to think that getting a 17x9.5 for a Ford isn't worth it over a 17x9, considering that you can get various 17x9 "knock off" wheels---Saleen style, Bullitt style, "tuner" styles, etc.---all of them weighing from 20 to 25 lbs., for $110-150 a piece. At that price, if one breaks, it's no big deal replacing it (although I'd still be worried about potential damage to other parts of the car...)

So I'm wondering, anyone who switched from a 17x9 to a 17x9.5, was it worth it?

Also, if it came down to it, how would a wheel be measured to make sure it complies with the rules? By what's printed on it, or by actually measuring it? Asking because some of the cheaper wheel companies (like XXR) list their wheels as 17x9.75, but I'd be surprised if that extra .25" where actually there.

Yah I never understood the whole 17x9.75. Kinda stupid. I like the CCW looking knockoffs too from xxr.

• Members

You know on one hand it's nice that I can just scoop up used Z06 wheels on the cheap and have a strong, lightish wheel that maxxes out the size, but on the other hand I do envy the Ford's 5x4.5" lug pattern as there are a gazillion options out there once you venture into JDM land.

Hey Dillion, yes we're still running the Battles. One did break after being hit at turn 9 at Pueblo a month or so ago. The driver sent me the money so I could buy another one. We'll be ready to go for HPR in a week and a half.

Good to see you posting, how are you doing?

Cheap (reasonably). Light. Strong.

Pick any two.

ubgvx.jpg

These are BMW wheels with wheel adapters to fit the Fox body - they don't make them with the right bolt pattern to fit.

What about RPF1s? I think a new set can be had under $1K.

Huh, looks like you're right. That's the only place I found them for that cheap, though, and I'd be a little reluctant to buy from some generic online store like that. Plus, I'm really trying to stay under $800 for a set.

I did find a one other option...about the same price, weight, and quality as the Battles: Rota Grid

Hey Dillion, yes we're still running the Battles. One did break after being hit at turn 9 at Pueblo a month or so ago. The driver sent me the money so I could buy another one. We'll be ready to go for HPR in a week and a half.

Good to see you posting, how are you doing?

Good to hear it, and thanks, I'm doing pretty well! Looking like I won't need knee surgery after all, but I won't know for sure for another week or so. Regardless I'm plenty mobile, and I was even able to drive the Mustang for the first time in two months this week. Hoping to come hang out at HPR actually. Would love to chat about what happened to that wheel, and other build-related things.

Pick any two.

ubgvx.jpg

These are BMW wheels with wheel adapters to fit the Fox body - they don't make them with the right bolt pattern to fit.

BMW wheels? Those are 5x114.3 Enkei's...

They look like 5Zigen FN01R-Cs. I don't think they're made anymore, but at one time they were pretty much the cheapest lightweight wheel (around $200 each for 17x9s if I remember right), which I assume was the point of the post.

They look like 5Zigen FN01R-Cs. I don't think they're made anymore, but at one time they were pretty much the cheapest lightweight wheel (around $200 each for 17x9s if I remember right), which I assume was the point of the post.

Whoops you're right, got my Japanese wheel manufacturers crossed.

No worries, Enkei is the new king of that "cheap lightweight wheel" title

I found a couple more options by looking on eBay.

STR 606 - BBS knockoffs. Sure are pretty, but probably heavy. $600 for a full set shipped

Konig Torch - Links to Discount Tire Direct, not sure why I didn't see this before. Even cheaper than the Battles. $650 for a full set shipped

Both come in a variety of colors and both look nicely styled. Don't know about the quality of Konig wheels, though.

No worries, Enkei is the new king of that "cheap lightweight wheel" title

I found a couple more options by looking on eBay.

STR 606 - BBS knockoffs. Sure are pretty, but probably heavy. $600 for a full set shipped

Konig Torch - Links to Discount Tire Direct, not sure why I didn't see this before. Even cheaper than the Battles. $650 for a full set shipped

Both come in a variety of colors and both look nicely styled. Don't know about the quality of Konig wheels, though.

Those Konig's look like oz ultraleggera knock offs. Research says they are around 22lbs which would put them on par with the Battles.

Pick any two.

ubgvx.jpg

BMW wheels? Those are 5x114.3 Enkei's...

Those are D-Force wheels, BMW Fitrment.