New Spec Iron class appears to be reality

D Algozine

Although not OFFICIALLY confirmed, it appears the Spec S197 Mustang class is here. I think its going to be called Spec Iron ??

PRELIMINARY INFO - NOT OFFICIAL

Cut and pasted from AI Forum, not my quote - "Spec Iron is the name of the new class. 05-10 3v. All stock parts other than Ford supplied intake and tune (285-295 hp). 18" wheels, 275 Toyo's, 3350lbs. Sounds like Ford is putting up nice cash per race as well. Hope the tire contingency will be nice as well."

Good, bad or non-factor for CMC?

I think it's not good. Now there is little to no hope of the CMC class growing into newer cars in the future. In the short term, it should be fine, but long term may be a different story.

I can't imagine any S197's hanging around in CMC, which obviously was the plan. I suppose if the LS1 engine were to ever get kicked then some of the tie hards would be back in CMC nirvana.

Personlly I feel lilke a racer without a class that fits my interest. Kind of a bummer. I was hoping that CMC would progress to manageably keep pace with new cars, but it doesn't appear to be the plan. I'd still like to see a V8 pony car class with low to moderate costs/mods, reasonable HP levels, stock bodied cars, allow easy and cheap adjustability, allow reliable parts at reasonable costs. I guess i just described the New Spec Iron class. Ouch, back to a Mustang ??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• D Algozine

• Glenn

• suck fumes1548534743

• CMC#11

I was pretty bummed to see this as well. I would like to know what the long term plan is for CMC. What is the expectation for the class 5 years from now? 10 years from now?

Interesting. Now I need to sell something so i can build a new mustang. I have a feeling this will be a higher car count class in a year or two cause people don't want to run a new mustang in CMC and have to choke it 40-50hp just be legal. Kind of crazy. A spec mustang class should be fun!

Guys, don't panic yet or speculate on the rules and specific of the new class. I think the rules will be out very soon with more details. Like all new classes I would guess the plan is to evolve it over time and interest allow.

Mark

I don't want to speak for all, but I think the concern has little to nothing to do with the new spec class and everything to do with future of CMC. At least that's my concern. Having to buy junk yard parts and few other limits of CMC is an issue for some. No new cars entering the class isn't appealing to all

Although not OFFICIALLY confirmed, it appears the Spec S197 Mustang class is here. I think its going to be called Spec Iron ??

PRELIMINARY INFO - NOT OFFICIAL

Cut and pasted from AI Forum, not my quote - "Spec Iron is the name of the new class. 05-10 3v. All stock parts other than Ford supplied intake and tune (285-295 hp). 18" wheels, 275 Toyo's, 3350lbs. Sounds like Ford is putting up nice cash per race as well. Hope the tire contingency will be nice as well."

Good, bad or non-factor for CMC?

I think it's not good. Now there is little to no hope of the CMC class growing into newer cars in the future. In the short term, it should be fine, but long term may be a different story.

I can't imagine any S197's hanging around in CMC, which obviously was the plan. I suppose if the LS1 engine were to ever get kicked then some of the tie hards would be back in CMC nirvana.

Personlly I feel lilke a racer without a class that fits my interest. Kind of a bummer. I was hoping that CMC would progress to manageably keep pace with new cars, but it doesn't appear to be the plan. I'd still like to see a V8 pony car class with low to moderate costs/mods, reasonable HP levels, stock bodied cars, allow easy and cheap adjustability, allow reliable parts at reasonable costs. I guess i just described the New Spec Iron class. Ouch, back to a Mustang ??

Alot of veteran CMC'ers from years ago said adding the LS1 and S-197 to the class was a mistake. Looking at current car count, I have to agree (hindsight and all). I would like to think that those who joined CMC w/ an LS1 or S-197 would have done so even if those cars were not legal. I know I did back in 2005 when LS1's were not legal and I had an LS1 4th gen at the time. I think the LS1 was a good move, not so much w/ the S-197. That siad, I don't think evolving current CMC is the answer. I still see folks building Fox's and 3rd gens (as well as other platforms) to come into CMC. So I see plenty of longevity in the class. I also see we are at a point where the rules will not evolve any further. Rules stability is a great thing.

Now about evolution..... The S-197 should have been the start of a new CMC class instead of forcing it into an existing class and making that class change for it. Instead of a Camaro/Mustang class, it should allow all the cars AI allows, but w/ the CMC type approach to the rules. I too see the S-197 owners not staying around in CMC. But the only downside is car count. Zero fun racing in a class of 2-3.

I was pretty bummed to see this as well. I would like to know what the long term plan is for CMC. What is the expectation for the class 5 years from now? 10 years from now?

What is wrong w/ where we are right now?

With all do respect, and I really am not intending to be an a$$, but I'm a little shocked that you asked that question on this open forum.

There appears to be a divide and possibly a significant disconnect among some of the racers in the class.

Edited by Guest

• Members

Dave, I wouldnt use agreement by all members as a yardstick for success. Racers are overwhelmingly highly opinionated, enthusiastic, passionate people. They are going to disagree on a whole lot of things. Butts in the seat, on grid. Thats what matters.

Dave, I wouldnt use agreement by all members as a yardstick for success. Racers are overwhelmingly highly opinionated, enthusiastic, passionate people. They are going to disagree on a whole lot of things. Butts in the seat, on grid. Thats what matters.

Agreed, many are guilty (at least i know I am) of fiery comments in order to make a point. And there will never be complete agreement. However...

I may be in the minority, but it appears Spec Iron provides a realistic and closely matching alternative to CMC. Prior to the new class, V8 pony cars could go BIG dollar, major mods for AI or nearly completely stock in CMC. Now there is another option that MAY better match a lot of racers interest. Of course it's limited to a single car, and it is a Mustang, but...

If CMC's plan is to continue with older cars and very strict limits on even the most minor changes, then a class like Spec Iron may be appealing.

Personally its got my interest. And it mainly has to do the silliest of most basic issues that are repeatedly shot down in CMC. I'm trying to stay away from specifics and get this side tracked. But a few simple inclusions for the older cars and the class could slowly move forward with the newer cars. My opinion, I see CMC becoming more and more 4th gen f bodied and Ford guys slowly migrated to Spec Iron., and possibly dragging some GM's guys along the way. My 2 cents

With all do respect, and I really am not intending to be an a$$, but I'm a little shocked that you asked that question on this open forum.

There appears to be a divide and possibly a significant disconnect among some of the racers in the class.

I didnt ask you. I know you want AI Light.

I think CMC is great right now!! My concern is without change will it still be great in 10 years?

The fact is the newest legal car is now 9 years old (if you exclude the S197) and the oldest is 34 years old. In 10 years the newest available car will be almost 20 years old. I just feel we need to be looking at ways to include the newer cars and also keep things fair and competitive.

My fox has 7 years of racing on it and clearly it will not last forever. I have an S197 as a daily driver that I had planned on turning into my next race car around 2016.

If the Spec Iron class takes off and there are just as many competitors in it as CMC when time comes to build my new car, it would be difficult to stick with CMC.

I would like to know what the long term plan is for CMC. What is the expectation for the class 5 years from now? 10 years from now?

I predict the same strife, friction, tension and turmoil witnessed over the last 5 years.

It's status quo ... why would the results change?

Sometimes you have to go back in order to move forward.

I would like to know what the long term plan is for CMC. What is the expectation for the class 5 years from now? 10 years from now?

Sometimes you have to go back in order to move forward.

Ding ding ding! I agree, get rid of the S197 and the LS1 and the big brakes. I don't care if we go back to the old 16" tall tires. 230/300 was just fine. There are cars for another ten years then after that maybe CMC has to die.......maybe not. I helped a guy in the mid 80's with a 1/4 mile dirt track car. All the Hobby stock cars were 55, 56, and 57 chevys. They were 30 year old cars and there were plenty of them. Letting the Chevy two and Nova in the class killed it.

JJ

I think CMC is great right now!! My concern is without change will it still be great in 10 years?

The fact is the newest legal car is now 9 years old (if you exclude the S197) and the oldest is 34 years old. In 10 years the newest available car will be almost 20 years old. I just feel we need to be looking at ways to include the newer cars and also keep things fair and competitive.

My fox has 7 years of racing on it and clearly it will not last forever. I have an S197 as a daily driver that I had planned on turning into my next race car around 2016.

If the Spec Iron class takes off and there are just as many competitors in it as CMC when time comes to build my new car, it would be difficult to stick with CMC.

So how far do you think folks are willing to push the Fox and 3rd gens to keep up w/ the S-197's? At what point does it not become worth it? At what point is it reasonable to exclude them from CMC as we add newer cars. At some point in time you can only dumb down the new stuff and help out the old stuff so much before it isn't feasible. I really think the S-197 is that point or on the verge of it.

So in order to keep what is great now, we need to evolve to something else in 10 years? I think the best answer is keep what we have now and create a new place for new cars to play. Some of use will change platforms to stay in CMC and some will change platforms to run a newer class. Once CMC car count drops, the class will surely die. I hope it never happens, but I think eventually all classes end up this way, or end up abandoning the platforms they originally started with. Either way, half the folks are gonna be butt-hurt over the evolution.

Race for now, have fun, and change when the time is right for yourself.

Guys....has the Spec 3 class killed Spec E30? In the Mid-Atlantic region E30 is still the place for the 20-30 car fields & the best drivers having almost as much fun as the CMC gang. For me, it is more about the people of CMC than the cars......I wouldn't trade the folks in CMC for any S197 in the world!

David DeJarnette "Double D" #678

Since everyone else has an opinion on the future of CMC, here's mine:

The S197 has it's own class. Good... get rid of it. Limit entries to <=2004 stangs and <=2002 f-body. Forget newer models and support the niche that CMC has created. I would assume that Spec Iron would later include 5th gen Camaro and maybe even Charger/Challenger entries.

Allow rule changes for things that make racing easier/cheaper/fun, like adj. spring perches, 5.3l engines, etc. None of those things were OEM, but so what? If it makes for easier/cheaper/closer racing, then why aren't we doing it? The notion that we have to keep things close to stock is ridiculous. Stock looking yes, but does it really matter if we run a non-stock engine or rear diff cover? We already allow non-stock springs, shocks, rear ends, wheels, brakes, fender flaring, wings, etc, etc, etc. So lets stop voting down non-stock items because a handful of directors have dug their heels in and simply refused to allow anything that isn't stock! Let's concentrate on making the cars we have last longer, be easier to maintain and have closer racing amongst them.

"If you build it, they will come." If we concentrate on the older cars, we can have a rule set that doesn't change every year to accommodate newer models. If we don't have to chase the rules every year, it will be much easier for new racers to build a car (or buy an existing one) and go racing. That leads to a higher car count which, in turn, leads to better exposure and more interest in the series. Let's make it as simple/cheap/easy (yes, all 3 can be done) as possible to get new people on track.

I don't care what you guys think is going to happen, when it's going to happen, and what causes it to happen....I'm building a 4th gen, and I'm so excited to get on the track this year.

Personally, I don't know if CMC will be around in 5 years or not. I hope it will be bigger than Spec E30 and thriving. If not, then I'll deal with it then. For now, I'm not going let the possibility of what might or might not happen ruin my experiences now.

Since everyone else has an opinion on the future of CMC, here's mine:

The S197 has it's own class. Good... get rid of it. Limit entries to <=2004 stangs and <=2002 f-body. Forget newer models and support the niche that CMC has created. I would assume that Spec Iron would later include 5th gen Camaro and maybe even Charger/Challenger entries.

Allow rule changes for things that make racing easier/cheaper/fun, like adj. spring perches, 5.3l engines, etc. None of those things were OEM, but so what? If it makes for easier/cheaper/closer racing, then why aren't we doing it? The notion that we have to keep things close to stock is ridiculous. Stock looking yes, but does it really matter if we run a non-stock engine or rear diff cover? We already allow non-stock springs, shocks, rear ends, wheels, brakes, fender flaring, wings, etc, etc, etc. So lets stop voting down non-stock items because a handful of directors have dug their heels in and simply refused to allow anything that isn't stock! Let's concentrate on making the cars we have last longer, be easier to maintain and have closer racing amongst them.

"If you build it, they will come." If we concentrate on the older cars, we can have a rule set that doesn't change every year to accommodate newer models. If we don't have to chase the rules every year, it will be much easier for new racers to build a car (or buy an existing one) and go racing. That leads to a higher car count which, in turn, leads to better exposure and more interest in the series. Let's make it as simple/cheap/easy (yes, all 3 can be done) as possible to get new people on track.

This I agree 100%.

If its the intention to keep CMC 100% the same, then the class will die in time. It's ineveitable. As these cars become older and older, sourcing parts will become increasingly more difficult and more expensive. At that point, the very idea of CMC will be contradicted by those trying to keep it the same. By essentially eliminating any new cars from competitvely running in CMC or allowing aftermarket parts to strengthen these cars and make them easier to adjust, the class will meet its own demise. Not today or tomorrow but at some point.

I can tell you that I'm not a Ford fan. Nothing wrong with them, they just don't suit me. That being said, when I become tired of chasing parts like torque arms that are breaking and other parts failing from strains which they weren't meant to bear, and dealing with old outdated computers which noone knows how to deal with, I will probably move to another class that is more accomodating, be it this new mustang class or something else.

Do I want to run in an economic class? Absolutely

Do I want to be fixing stock parts which are constantly breaking and searching junkyards every other weekend? Absolutely not.

Do I need to race the best handling or most powerful car I can buy? No

Do I want to race a car that can be adjusted and tweaked without a major endeavor that will be fun? Absolutely.

So even if it costs me some additional money, there will be a time that I will say that I'm not willing to kill myself to run CMC and when I get tired of cutting spacers because I can't run spring perches or can't adjust them even though I am allowed to have them, I will say enoughs enough and I will buy a S197 or another car.

I'm on the same page as you. I'm going to try this class for a season or two but if nothing changes then in going the spec iron route.

I don't care what you guys think is going to happen, when it's going to happen, and what causes it to happen....I'm building a 4th gen, and I'm so excited to get on the track this year.

Personally, I don't know if CMC will be around in 5 years or not. I hope it will be bigger than Spec E30 and thriving. If not, then I'll deal with it then. For now, I'm not going let the possibility of what might or might not happen ruin my experiences now.

Bravo sir! Well said.

I agree with alot of you guys on CMC focus, leave it and center the rules around current cars focusing on 04 and older.

Look at how many headaches CMC goes through every year for rule changes alone, but when a new chassis is added there are continual adds and changes before we accomodate that chassis. It takes years to equal out the field. Meanwhile the racers with the older cars feel cheated because they feel like they're bringing a stick to a gunfight.

I think the class can still grow, look at how many Mustang/Camaro enthusiast sites there are out there? Look at Craigslist and see the cheap race car candidates. If someone wants to run CMC, there is a support mechanism of parts and OEM replacement stuff everywhere.

944, SE30, S3, are just some examples of cars with dedicated classed that are not being produced either. These classes don't add new stuff in every year, yet they seem to grow. I say continue the tweaks of what we have now, see the trend in 4 years and adjust as necessary.

944, SE30, S3, are just some examples of cars with dedicated classed that are not being produced either. These classes don't add new stuff in every year, yet they seem to grow. I say continue the tweaks of what we have now, see the trend in 4 years and adjust as necessary.

As a reference point. Those are well disigned, well built, light weight, low horsepower cars. Nothing like a an old Mustang or 3rd gen,or even a 4th gen for that matter.