Nationals only 1 timed session or mutliple sessions??

Red Tornado

...In fact, if we quit trying, we could very well be bested by someone who sandbagged the 1st 2 days and is keeping his/her ammo dry until the last lap of the last session. Kind of like throwing the killer bid in at the last second on an EBay auction. I know I'd feel like crap driving home knowing I got beat by a last minute flyer if I hadn't tried all the way to the end. ...

Been there, done that.

Oh, forgot to mention this in my previous post...

I said "bottom of the back straight" because the back straight at Mid-Ohio is over 1/2 mile long - and all downhill. If the fact that they have 500' markers at turn 7 means anything, I think it means HIT THE BRAKES!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg G.

• Falcon

• GAC

• FocusTed

I do have a word of warning for those that think they are going to bonzai lap at Mid-Ohio - Turn 7 at the bottom of the back straight is not very forgiving should you go off the end of the straight. In fact, if you drive straight off you will launch yourself airborn. If you are turned the least little bit when you go off, you will be upside down in the 100 yard deep gravel trap known as "China Beach".

The new rule that we have been using in OH/IN region "If you go 4 wheels off your time for that session doesn’t count." has great reduced the Bonzai runs. Also, if you go 4 wheels off you have to come into the pits. Will we have a similar rule at the Nationals?

Edited by Guest

If you go four wheels off or spin, you will lose all lap times for that session.

Greg, that's a pretty stiff penalty.

If we have an off/spin during the 2nd or 3rd lap, that would negate the rest of the session.

How about we lose all lap times for that session up to the point of the off/spin. It's not like there will be a lot of time left in the session after an off anyway, but there could be a lap or 2.

I'm sure the culprit's driving will be very tidy for the remaining part of the session after an off/spin and then the subsequent scolding.

• National Staff

Jody,

Those are the rules that you are supposed to be following currently!!! They are in the National TT Rules.

Doesn't seem like a stiff penalty to me. It's there to discourage participants from driving over their head. I don't want to share the track with people who are at 110% of their ability.

Jody,

Those are the rules that you are supposed to be following currently!!! They are in the National TT Rules.

I understand that and at the regional weekends it's the way it should be, because we'll live to fight another weekend. But, at the nationals, that weekend is a year away, and a lot of money and time has gone into the effort.

Suppose someone dumps a small trace of fluid in front of one of us and we spin or go off to protect ourselves or another contestant. Will these be mitigating circumstances?

I don't want to share the track with people who are at 110% of their ability.

Nor do I. For aggressive driving, whether one spins, goes off or not should be dealt with and I have no problem with the penalty.

If I'm not mistaken, if you go four-off trying to avoid a bad situation or due to mechanical failure your times still count. Greg can clarify.

"Any NASA Competitor that placed four wheels off course or spins in a session will lose any timed result for that session." There are no notes listed about any exceptions.

John

"Any NASA Competitor that placed four wheels off course or spins in a session will lose any timed result for that session." There are no notes listed about any exceptions.

John

I believe there are exceptions. Otherwise drivers will try to stay on the track no matter what and could make a situation worse.

I believe if you’re avoiding a spinning car and you're only option is to drive off the track or hit ("Known") fluids then I believe your times will count. This would be a safety issue. But, Greg should be able to clear this up.

• National Staff

The intent of the rule is to increase our safety margin, and have drivers stay in control of their vehicles. If a driver clearly purposely drives off the track to avoid another vehicle that is spinning/out of control in front of him, he will not be DQ'd for the session. Likewise, driving off track because of a mechanical breakdown in order to park away from an impact zone would be a similar case. If there is clearly slippery fluid on the track that causes a driver, or number of drivers to go off, they would not be DQ'd. Most of these scenarios require confirmation from the corner workers and race control. Only the mechanicals are common, and race control documents them as they occur. And no, driving out of control off course, and then parking the car for a tow, or breaking something off course will not be exempt from a DQ. A true documented mechanical breakdown (that I can verify) that causes a driver to go 4-off will be a judgement call at that time.

You'll all find that logic, reason, and the INTENT of the rules is how Greg governs. Mitigating circumstances are always taken into account.

• 2 weeks later...

Face it guys, we are running just like the pro's run qualifying. Give it your best and let it stand. We will have three days to get a time, come rain or shine. Let the best car win.