Pick the Nationals Class winner contest?? East vs West??

Red Tornado

Seems that we have a bunch of people who dont care around here......Who started the "dont care" anyway ?????

I am with Greg, as long as there are no-incidents everyone will "win" by having a good time......

Racerjon1-----I am thinking we are going to go 1.5-2 sec. faster.....Get ready to grab your "knob" and twist it. And the increase in speed won't be due to power. I think my cars "balance" has been restored.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shawn M.

• FocusTed

• racerjon1

• kbrew8991

I figure it's going to take something in the high 30s/low 31s to win. That has been my focus, so I am aiming for a 1:29.xxx

The car went on a diet, and we went to new brakes/wheels for lighter weight/better gearing without giving up tire width. Balance should be better as well as we changed some setup stuff, and we were going to go with a 60/40 diff but it needs to be custom fit.. so that will wait till after the event so we can do dogbox and 60/40 diff at once. (Needless to say, it for sure won't be a TTU car next year)

Jon K

i think it's too tough to call. I don't know all the drivers, nor the cars. I think Midwest guys, that have seat time should do well. Even though guys from the coast aren't going to come this far to be also ran's.

I'd say the scales are tipped in favor of the locals or anyone that has over 20 hours of seat time on that track. The left coast would be lucky to bring home 1 Championship.

That said, we're not transporting our cars 2,500 miles just for shits and giggles either. Some of these boys out west can fly. So buckle up folks, should be a hell of a ride.

Good luck to everyone.

Personally, no matter who wins any of the classes, we have all put our names in the history books. The Championship website starts out with the

"Are you ready to earn your place in motorsports history"

Well each and every one of us has earned a place in motorsports history just by being signed up for the 1st ever NASA National Championships. I'm getting more excited about this as each day passes. I can hardly wait until Monday when I can actually start meeting everyone.

I figure it's going to take something in the high 30s/low 31s to win. That has been my focus, so I am aiming for a 1:29.xxx

The car went on a diet, and we went to new brakes/wheels for lighter weight/better gearing without giving up tire width. Balance should be better as well as we changed some setup stuff, and we were going to go with a 60/40 diff but it needs to be custom fit.. so that will wait till after the event so we can do dogbox and 60/40 diff at once. (Needless to say, it for sure won't be a TTU car next year)

Jon K

Glad my goals are a whole lot more lofty than yours...................I think yours are 3x as tuff as mine

I don't know if I'll win, but I want to (and should be able to) outrun that TTF record at least (1:54.601)

(smack talk mode on)

I think Greg will have to re-class the MR2 NA into TTD I'll be so fast there

(/smack talk mode off)

• Members
Just kidding. I might actually be picking Bill Brees to beat me in TTE after the times he laid down in August. Shawn better remember to pack up his A-Game for the long trip out here!

- Mark

I dont have an A- game its broken in the garage! Im driving a B-game Focus!

I figure it's going to take something in the high 30s/low 31s to win. That has been my Focus, so I am aiming for a 1:29.xxx

Jon K

In a focus??

Are you out of your flippidy-do-mind?? Im hoping to run a 1:52 in the focus!!

Edited by Guest

1:29 and under in TTU. I am just hoping for anything under 1:35 at best.

Never been there so have no clue but T1 track record of 1:35 would be nice to match or beat in my mind.

My goal is still top 5 and real dream is podium so my goals aren't quite as lofty.

TTR - something low

TTU - Chris Desalvo

TTA - something overblown

TTB - John Anderson

TTC - Greg Greenbaum

TTD - John Graber

TTE - something little

TTF - Bill Marquardt

Edited by Guest

• Members
Oh also all you folks who just want to have fun and not win...

Is that capital "L" for loser or what...

Hmm, well for those of us who have only seen the track on the TV have our work cut out for us. Then those who have seat time on that track have the home field advantage, certainly. Then again, ill remind the norcal guys of the time I came up and set a track record in my first visit.... I guess having done the 1 lap of america helps eh?

Just the same, im going to do all that I can to spoil someones weekend!

Bunch of sandbaggers!!

In a focus??

Are you out of your flippidy-do-mind?? Im hoping to run a 1:52 in the focus!!

No... my focus has been on running a 1:29 it will be in a Mitsubishi.

Jon

I don't know if I'll win, but I want to (and should be able to) outrun that TTF record at least (1:54.601)

THe TTF Record will not be a 1:54 in 10 days. I have crunched the numbers, and if Dan (Dawn, whatever ) runs to his potential, he can push the TTF record into the 1:49s. Problem is, I keep looking at stuff, and will be lucky if I run a 1:52 in the TTF Neon.

Jon K

Well then it should be pretty easy to do...

I'll know alot more after day 1 what I'll really be capable of in this car.... as will everyone else.

its just bench racing until then

Interestingly - the resurfacing and recurbing of MidOhio this year has changed the track and taken away some of the "home town" benefit.

The track was resurfaced at the beginning of the year, but the curbing was way too steep/aggressive. This wasn't changed until August, meaning there was only one NASA weekend in the current configuration. At that weekend, most people saw their lap times drop as they got used to the new curbing.

So - yes the west coast and southeast guys that aren't within an easy tow of MidOhio are at a disadvantage. But it's not as large as it might have been prior to this year, or if they didn't drastically change the curbing just a month ago.

- Mark

PS - I know a pretty decent video clip of the new surface in August, I'll ask my friend if his server can handle massive sharing....

he can push the TTF record into the 1:49s

Uh, wow. Being Nationals and all, I'm also expecting lap times to fall. But fall that far?!?

Maybe that should be a different betting line, what will the winning TT times be?

TTU,R,A,B,C = much faster than me

TTD = 1:45

TTE = 1:48

TTF = 1:52 (I'll bet a beer this doesn't go under 1:50?)

Anyone else care to wager? Is nasaforums.com registered offshore for gambling revenue purposes?

- Mark

he can push the TTF record into the 1:49s

Uh, wow. Being Nationals and all, I'm also expecting lap times to fall. But fall that far?!?

TTF = 1:52 (I'll bet a beer this doesn't go under 1:50?)

I don't know if it will, but it can.

When I compare Dan's times to SCCA track records on the tracks he has run, this is where it puts him. Granted, those are tracks he knows well, vs a new track, but he CAN run there, if it were a "regular" weekend with two days I wouldn't call this, but he will have three days to learn and get the track right.

I haven't crunched the numbers on the other classes, jsut TTU and TTF. TTU is tough to call because I know that the top guys are bringing in more uumph so to speak. I expect that TTF the cars will not get modded more, and it's up to the drivers to get the most from themselves and their cars.

BTW.. SCCA SSC record at Mid Ohio is a 1:48.7 but a good TTF car should be able to outrun that, so calling a 1:49 isn't that far-fetched.

I might bet you the beer, but I am hoping it doesn't go down to a 1:49, my SCCA-SCC spec Neon won't make it there. (1:52 maybe though)

Jon K

BTW.. SCCA SSC record at Mid Ohio is a 1:48.7

Just curious - remember when that record was set? And what course layout (pro vs. club)?

I'm not as familiar with the SCCA times, but I know NASA Spec Miata times have been like high 1:45's-1:50. Depending on level of preparation a Spec Miata lands in TTD or TTE. Which is why I was thinking the TTD time range might be like 1:45-1:48, TTE 1:48-1:50, TTF 1:50+.

Kind of fun to crunch some numbers, extrapolate, or in my case...just pull things out of thin air! Wild arse guess time!

- Mark

I'm not as familiar with the SCCA times, but I know NASA Spec Miata times have been like high 1:45's-1:50. Depending on level of preparation a Spec Miata lands in TTD or TTE. Which is why I was thinking the TTD time range might be like 1:45-1:48, TTE 1:48-1:50, TTF 1:50+.

Kind of fun to crunch some numbers, extrapolate, or in my case...just pull things out of thin air! Wild arse guess time!

- Mark

That seems about right. A Spec Focus runs around 1:48-1:49 and a Spec Focus is classed as a TTE car. We'll have to see if Shawn can get the Spec Focus down to that time.

But, I do think it would be pretty hard for a TTF car to run a sub 1:50 at Mid-Ohio. But, you never know.

Also Brett Mars ran a SSC Mazda3 in PTF at Mid-Ohio in April. Now the track was still green and I think he did a 1:51. But the track is faster now, and he has a lot of track time at Mid-Ohio.

Last Month he did a 1:48 in a Spec Focus (a TTE car).

Spec Focus (a TTE car)

Just curious - if you add up by points, does a Spec Focus really fall in TTE? Seems like with those tires, weight reduction, etc it might add up more?

Please don't interpret this as trash talk in any way, I really am just curious. I find the Spec Focus cars very intriguing, seems like a good package for some of the prices I've heard tossed around by some of the Capaldi guys.

I guess this means...if Shawn wins it's all the car. If he looses...hahaha. (THAT you can interpret as trash talk).

- Mark