When does 2007 rule discussion start??

Red Tornado

I'd duck if I was you

Having adjustments on coilovers may make it easier to setup the car, but ultimately, those with the know-how can get the exact same setup by re-valving without any adjustment knobs. There was even a guy at the Championships that could re-valve your shocks for you within a few minutes in the paddock. And, those other resourceful folks can just have a few different sets of "non-adjustable" shocks that they have setup for each track, and just change them before the event. Once you have the car setup right for a track, there really shouldn't be much need to change the shock or spring settings. I'm sure there will be plenty of upset competitors with the new shock rules, just as there have been every year with the shock rules. At least this year, they will be much more easily defined.

Haha! thanks for the warning I'll wear my helmet

But thats just it ... TT is supposed to be for those who don't want cages, where the car is a daily driver, are doing this for fun. Did I mention this was supposed to be fun and safe. There is always the next level of racing for those that are willing to go that far. If they are that serious and willing to go through all that trouble then maybe they deserve it, although you could frown at them when handing them the award and get the crowd to "Boo!" them

Or may be you could classify it the way I suggested originally and add the following that if the shocks have been custom revalved for that specific track, even if they are 1 way or non adjustable, they automatically get 12 points. So that would catch people that custom valve their shocks from track to track or swap out shocks from track to track. No more loop hole ...

Or may be you guys should set the cut off based on price? Those, whose coilovers cost more than $4000 = 12 points ... Those under should be 6?

Any chance you could tell me how the new rules are going to be worded? Or you could just PM me if you don't want to publicly post it ...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slowoldpoop

• Shawn M.

• Greg G.

• firehawkclone

• National Staff

You'll see them soon enough

The problem with the revalved shocks is that I don't have a $10-20K shock dyno handy, and I wouldn't have the baseline graphs to compare with anyway to determine if a shock had been revalved. It would be a compliance tech nightmare (not to mention having to have drivers take their shocks off the car--which means also a full alignment for those with MacPhearson strut suspensions after they put them back on. Too much trouble--I've got an easier solution using a combination of factors. Retail price is still one of them (I do have the Internet handy )

I'd duck if I was you

Springs were only +2 last year--regardless of rate. You can change the spring rates on any coilovers/shocks. The spring rates have nothing to do with the performance of the shock/damper/strut itself. And, there are actually huge variations in their ability to perform. Guys don't spend $6000+ on Motons and Ohlins for nothing, or $4300 for DSM 50's instead of $1000 for Teins or $1600 for KW's.

Greg,

I've looked over and been reading and reading for the past few days here in the TT forum.

My question to you is why are the kw's, 7 pts? I have them, and i'm trying to do a rough points count, as i'd like to participate this upcoming year. (lancer evo).

However, ducking down into tta might be un-doable, but i'm seeing if it'll fit.

Also, second question. Non-oem sensors, or alteration of sensor inputs. I have an onboard wideband controller, used for road-tuning the car. Is this an item that counts a point? Does it still count a point if it's removed? ie: put in to tune, removed (like a portable dyno).

Third question. Boost controller with on-track control. I have an in-car manual controller, however, when harnessed, i couldn't get to it without go-gadget arms. Does it need to be relocated into the engine bay for compliance?

Thanks for your help.