Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• vpnwiz

• 944-Spec#94

• JackBaruth

Announced at dinner tonight:

2009 and 2010 Nationals to be held at Miller

20011 and 2012 Nationals to be held at Mid Ohio

Well for the next two years we will have no rain and it will be a reasonable drive for those in the Western United States.

I am going to Nationals in 2009 and 2010. Yipee!!!!!

For all of you east coasters complaining about the 30 hour tow to Miller just remember that is what us west coasters have been facing for the past few years. I really hope that many of you can come out to Miller as it is a very fine track, but I also FULLY understand how difficult it is travel that far. I really like this idea of 2 years at Miller and then back to Mid-ohio. It gives every NASA racer a chance to participate in Nationals. Maybe not every year, but at least some years.

Edited by Guest

Back to work on my teleporter, I guess

I'd love to do Miller and I am glad if they were going to change it they announced it now. It will however make next year's schedule easy to plan. This will certainly help sellout the PCA Club Race at Road America Labor Day weekend 2009 much quicker!! Not what I think the GTS Challenge folks have been working so hard to accomplish.

It will be interesting to see if GTS Challenge is large enough to have its own run group at the Nationals in 2009.

Rant Off.

I'd rather tow 50 hours to Laguna Seca than 30 to Miller, and I'm not the only hick from the East Coast sticks who feels that way, but I suppose we'll see what happens!

When I started this thread I had heard rumors about Nationals moving west, and I wasn't too thrilled about it. The concern being, once the event moved - would it ever come back?

I have to say, I think NASA is taking a chance here but I think it's a pretty fair way of handling things. Hopefully Nationals will continue to rotate between Miller and MidOhio every two years, thereby giving more people a chance to participate.

- Mark

Personally, I think NASA got it wrong from the get go. After watching that other club move it's Championships around never getting a really good field representing all parts of the country, I find it odd to think that NASA thought they could.

They should have just had a left coast championship and an east coast championship. Both would be well attended and both would have great competition.

And both could move to different tracks each year without requiring anyone to tow 3000 miles. NASCAR does it with their junior series and they are quite successful with it. (I can't believe I just referenced NASCAR in a positive manor)

See the thing is - with a National championship I really do want to compete against the best. I appreciate the guys that come from TX and CA. Maybe not so much the guys from FL since they kicked my arse this year, but you get the idea.

Personal circumstances will probably keep me from going to MMP in 2009 and 2010, but I'd certainly like to during the next rotation.

- Mark

Personal circumstances will probably keep me from going to MMP in 2009 and 2010, but I'd certainly like to during the next rotation.

Would you be willing to shoot for food?

Thawley – who hopes to be racing, not shooting...

Would you be willing to shoot for food?

Thawley – who hopes to be racing, not shooting...

My beverage tab usually exceeds my food tab...

Did anybody say if it would be the full course(4.5mi)?

I have not seen anything about that. I have driven both the 3.0 mile and 4.5 mile courses.

Before I went was prepared to not like the 3.0 mile course, but I was quite happy with it. It feels faster and more flowing than than the 4.5 mile course as the 4.5 mile has more twist bits. It is sort of interesting because you run all the 3.0 mile course except for 1 very very fast right when you run 4.5 mile course. The 4.5 adds on a few more medium speed corners and still has a fast right, but is just a different high speed right. In fact it is just a bit faster. On balance this makes the 3.0 feel faster than the 4.5, but the average speeds are actually very very close if you run the 3.0 or 4.5.

Even so I like both quite a bit. Either one will be quite good and not as hard to learn as you may think. The track is also not all about hp in either configuration I felt my car was down on hp when I was there, but still did well in class since getting a good run and maintaing momentum was more important than pure hp.

Announced at dinner tonight:

2009 and 2010 Nationals to be held at Miller

20011 and 2012 Nationals to be held at Mid Ohio

Well for the next two years we will have no rain and it will be a reasonable drive for those in the Western United States.

I am going to Nationals in 2009 and 2010. Yipee!!!!!

For all of you east coasters complaining about the 30 hour tow to Miller just remember that is what us west coasters have been facing for the past few years. I really hope that many of you can come out to Miller as it is a very fine track, but I also FULLY understand how difficult it is travel that far. I really like this idea of 2 years at Miller and then back to Mid-ohio. It gives every NASA racer a chance to participate in Nationals. Maybe not every year, but at least some years.

What he said!

Concerning GTS Challenge at the National in 2009 and 2010......If someone can list 10 drivers west of the Rockies that raced in 5 GTS races in 2008, I will fully support the races in Utah, and try to convince the East coast GTSers to go next year. But it doesn't make sense for all of us to travel 2000+ miles just to race against ourselves. It makes more sense for us to do our own thing here in the east.

It will be interesting to see if GTS Challenge is large enough to have its own run group at the Nationals in 2009.

I don't see why not. The very first regional event we ran at Miller in 2006, there was a run group for 13/13 GTS cars and it was pretty full.

I don't see why not. The very first regional event we ran at Miller in 2006, there was a run group for 13/13 GTS cars and it was pretty full.

How many cars in the 13/13 run group were GTS cars? I would consider a Utah National if there were GTSers west of the Rockies, but there isn't. And as long as the CA regions sell track time to BMW and Porsche clubs, there won't be any GTSers on the west coast. I'm not blaming NASA, they were doing that long before GTS came along, and it makes good business sense for them to do it. If things change in the West, then maybe 2010 will be different. I would suggest that if someone in the west wants to take the lead on growing GTS out there, contact me and we'll work on it together. It took 4 years of long hours and thousands of emails to get GTS where it is now, and it will take the same effort to do it out west.

Volunteers??????

hmm the ~3mi would offer more attempts for TTers at getting that perfect lap, but the ~4.5mi might show who has the skill/smarts a little more... dillemas indeed

I don't see an issue with GTS holding their own unofficial championships wherever/whenever the want.. but I don't think I'd let the winners be called the official 2009 National Champion/etc

do they not sell German cars west of the Mississippi??

Here's another bone to bite on........WHAT IF the Speed Channel did live coverage and paid NASA royalities??? Sponsorships would come rolling in for the TV coverage. NASA could then offer a heavily discounted entry fee for Nationals only. (Say $99 for sign up. I just pulled that out of thin air as an example.) Saving the racers big bucks they otherwise would have paid to attend the Nationals.(read towing, food, hotels, repairs ect.) NASA could then move the Nationals around the country every year or few years so everyone would be able to participate every year.

Paying the top people in each class for towing just won't cut it, what about the budget racer?? Why are you any better than John Public?? why should you get it and not him?? I would feel slighted.

Sponsors need to pay in cash and not their products, or discounts on their products. The racers who win would have the cash for the things they need (food, hotel, gas)and not some gift cirtificate that gives you $50 off a purchase of $500, or 1 free tire. NASA has little control over this but it would be nice to see. They could suggest it when they ask companies to come aboard for sponsorship. How many of you won prizes?? Wouldn't that be nice to get a check for real money, that you could deposit in the bank and pay your charge card off?? You know the one you used to buy gas, tires and hotel with.

• Members
Here's another bone to bite on........WHAT IF the Speed Channel did live coverage and paid NASA royalities??? Sponsorships would come rolling in for the TV coverage. NASA could then offer a heavily discounted entry fee for Nationals only. (Say $99 for sign up. I just pulled that out of thin air as an example.) Saving the racers big bucks they otherwise would have paid to attend the Nationals.(read towing, food, hotels, repairs ect.) NASA could then move the Nationals around the country every year or few years so everyone would be able to participate every year.

Paying the top people in each class for towing just won't cut it, what about the budget racer?? Why are you any better than John Public?? why should you get it and not him?? I would feel slighted.

Sponsors need to pay in cash and not their products, or discounts on their products. The racers who win would have the cash for the things they need (food, hotel, gas)and not some gift cirtificate that gives you $50 off a purchase of $500, or 1 free tire. NASA has little control over this but it would be nice to see. They could suggest it when they ask companies to come aboard for sponsorship. How many of you won prizes?? Wouldn't that be nice to get a check for real money, that you could deposit in the bank and pay your charge card off?? You know the one you used to buy gas, tires and hotel with.

Thats a great idea to supplement, but Im fairly happy (and Im sure others are too) and grateful to the sponsors who did offer up discounts and GCs. I can always use more Hoosiers, brake pads, etc.

Time to get ExxonMobil to come on board as a contingency sponsor to offer gift certificates for gas

Here's another bone to bite on........WHAT IF the Speed Channel did live coverage and paid NASA royalities??? Sponsorships would come rolling in for the TV coverage. NASA could then offer a heavily discounted entry fee for Nationals only. (Say $99 for sign up. I just pulled that out of thin air as an example.) ..

Nice idea, but one problem. NASA would have to PAY SPEED to air Nationals.

Getting club racing on TV is darn near impossible unless you buy the air time like an infomercial. Heck even lower level pro series have a tough time with TV coverage and often buy air-time. Of course we could say NASA is a part of NASCAR and then SPEED would be all over it. ... Ahh I digress.

Here's another bone to bite on........WHAT IF the Speed Channel did live coverage and paid NASA royalities??? Sponsorships would come rolling in for the TV coverage. NASA could then offer a heavily discounted entry fee for Nationals only. (Say $99 for sign up. I just pulled that out of thin air as an example.) ..

Nice idea, but one problem. NASA would have to PAY SPEED to air Nationals.

Getting club racing on TV is darn near impossible unless you buy the air time like an infomercial. Heck even lower level pro series have a tough time with TV coverage and often buy air-time. Of course we could say NASA is a part of NASCAR and then SPEED would be all over it. ... Ahh I digress.

I find that very hard to believe. NASA is national. I for one would have loved to see this kind of thing on Speed. (I even wrote them) This kind of "CLUB" racing is just the ticket. I get tired of watching reruns of Pinks and Car Crazy. I didn't participate in Nationals but I was there Sunday to watch the races and cheer you guys on. I was really surprised at all the people there to watch. Hundreds.......

sw671w.jpg

5mjnf4.jpg

This was just one spot I photographed. People were all around the track like this. They were cheering you guys on, clapping and some boo's but generally good. I overheard some guys trying to pic cars out to root for them, which one they thought were gonna win the race and second place an so on. I think a good time was had by all. This is the exposure that NASA and the racers need.

As a professional broadcaster by trade I can tell you that its true. Specators or not.

CART was buying its TV time its last 5 seasons or more.

I think if you look into the Koni Challenge TV package you will see the lowest level of available TV. That is professional racing and its barely on TV.

To my knowledge, there are just two series which don't pay for airtime - NASCAR series from Craftsman up, and Formula Unn. Note that you rarely see ARCA RE/MAX stuff on TV, and unlike NASA or SCCA racing, ARCA races sell out their stadiums. I drove an ARCA race earlier this year. Five thousand people in the stands, all paying real money to watch. Kind of nerve-wracking.

I don't know if Grand-Am pays directly for coverage, but if they aren't writing an actual check there's an understanding between SPEED and the France family about the whole thing.

Club racing looks sloooooooooow to people whose eyes are trained by 195+mph NASCAR stockers and 5G-cornering Formula One cars. Watch the Toyota Celebrity race on TV some time; they look like they're parade-lapping. Hell, very few NASA racers run as fast as Bernd Maylander does in the SL63 pace car during F1 races and that looks slow, too. There just isn't a lot of TV appeal to what we do.

• Members
As a professional broadcaster by trade I can tell you that its true. Specators or not.

CART was buying its TV time its last 5 seasons or more.

I think if you look into the Koni Challenge TV package you will see the lowest level of available TV. That is professional racing and its barely on TV.

What spectators love is wrecking cars and massive carnage...... SPEED sure missed $out$ from not broadcasting this event!

Anyone see the kids walking thru the pits on sunday with their hand painted signs for the TV camera's?? Good little artist I thought. My favorite one, he accurately recreated the NASA logo and the SPEED logo that read:

NASA

on

SPEED

Riot!!!