2009 Nationals - MidOhio?

Markus

WOW, who would have ever thought that about TV. You pay them??? Wake up Ken. OH well just a thought. It would be nice. If your gonna' dream, dream big!!! Anybody know how to start a TV station???

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• vpnwiz

• 944-Spec#94

• JackBaruth

The best you can hope for right now is a live webcast. Even in college sports, the Big Ten had to form their own network just to be able to air the non-marquee football and men's basketball games in a non-pay-per-view format, and those are major revenue spectator sports.

Really, just having a live audio stream from track announcers so that your friends and relatives back home can listen in would be great. Some kind of live video would be a bonus.

Anyway, the number of spectators was very cool to see. Yes, probably most were friends, family, co-workers, etc. of the drivers (we had at least a dozen guests ourselves), but it's great that NASA Nationals attracted attendees. It was kind of a fun change to have people stopping by the garage and asking questions about the cars and so on. A lot of the NASA classes have good visual and enthusiast appeal, which helps. The SU/ST class has some wild looking cars, as does AIX, and every "car guy" we've ever brought out has loved the modder/tuner aspect of NASA and how different so many of the cars are.

So, regarding NASA Nationals and throwing out perhaps ill-conceived ideas, what about having a 24 Hours of Mid Ohio?

Go to Mid-O for the AMA Superbike show and NASA's weekend will look vacant by comparison.

Wonder how many 'spectators' actually paid to get it last weekend, and how many were 'crew' (like I was).

The best you can hope for right now is a live webcast. Even in college sports, the Big Ten had to form their own network just to be able to air the non-marquee football and men's basketball games in a non-pay-per-view format, and those are major revenue spectator sports.

That sounds like a great plan!!!! A NASSA live web cam site. Broadcasting live coverage of all the regions races. Every race would be broadcat live on the web. Viewers could tune in and watch the different regions races. Probably a race each weekend, sometimes 2 or more at the same time. Split screen viewing? You could even watch the races in the paddock on your laptop. How cool would that be!!!!!

• Members

This sounds like this could be a great opportunity for an up and comming web broadcast company to come in and get noticed!

Anyone?

Anyone?

The up side to Miller is at 4.5 miles and 25 cars per mile w/ the 10% over, Spec Miata should be about 125 cars

And with the width of the front straight, you can easily fit 3 cars wide ala Indy. Wouldn't that be cool???

I went to Nationals for the first time this year. Had a great time. The track was challenging, but not the funnest track i have driven. Thats pretty much what i had heard before going. Although, i can see now how it would grow on me in time.

I drove our very difficult to drive RV nearly 5,000 miles with my dad to get there, and back to Socal. Took us 4 days to drive there, and 4 days to drive back. Are we exhausted? You bet. Am i happy its going to be at Miller the next two years? I dont know how to articulate how happy i am. Having finally experienced Nationals, i can see why some people are selfish by wanting Nationals to be in their backyard. Miller isnt in my backyard, never even been there, but it beats driving 5,000 miles. Overall, it was a good trip, but right now i cant see myself going to Mid-O again.

The up side to Miller is at 4.5 miles and 25 cars per mile w/ the 10% over, Spec Miata should be about 125 cars

Not sure how this will pan out. There are more Spec Miatas on the East side then the west. Time will tell...

I went to Nationals for the first time this year. Had a great time. The track was challenging, but not the funnest track i have driven. Thats pretty much what i had heard before going. Although, i can see now how it would grow on me in time.

My home track is Mosport and almost every track I've driven has been a let down.

However, Mid-Ohio has presented me with so many different challenges that it has been a blast. It's not very often that I get tested by a track and that's what Mid-Ohio has done to me in the last couple of years. It's been a real challenge to find these last couple of tenths. And, I find the flow of a lap to be sublime.

I think it's a classic sports car track that has adapted exceptionally well to today's race car technology.

On the other hand, don't get me started on Alan Wilson's antiseptic track designs.

The width of the pavement doesn't stop the Spec Miata drivers from going 5+ wide! Case in point:

photo95.jpg

Hahahaha,

Jon

Or backwards from the look of things

Alan Wilson's credo. Don't let them go fast.

Miller is fast though - as much as I bash AW for crap like Barber and CMP... gotta give him a bit of credit for Miller

My home track is Mosport and almost every track I've driven has been a let down.

However, Mid-Ohio has presented me with so many different challenges that it has been a blast. It's not very often that I get tested by a track and that's what Mid-Ohio has done to me in the last couple of years. It's been a real challenge to find these last couple of tenths. And, I find the flow of a lap to be sublime.

I think it's a classic sports car track that has adapted exceptionally well to today's race car technology.

On the other hand, don't get me started on Alan Wilson's antiseptic track designs.

I think if it had not rained on Friday, and the 1st session on Saturday, i would have enjoyed the track more. I drove all 3 of our TT sessions on Thursday, then sat around all day Friday, and also our 1st session on Saturday. I finally got to drive again during our last 2 sessions on Saturday. Since i didnt get to drive that much, i didnt get a good opportunity to get really engaged with the track. I suspect that has something to do with it. Im sure if i was driving every day i would have had a different perspective. I say that because after we left i gradually started thinking about the track more and more. Its too bad that its really far for me because i would like to go back and put in more seat time there.

I love the constant transitions of Mid-Ohio... really favors my car too relative to my class I think (well, if we ran club course I guess )

Miller will be fun as well, can't wait

Great shot Jon!!!

Ok, the cars will start 3 wide, but be 7 or 8 wide by T1. Forwards, backwards, it's all good.

I never been there, but from what I saw on online in-car clips, there is room to pass everywhere.

Great shot Jon!!!

Ok, the cars will start 3 wide, but be 7 or 8 wide by T1. Forwards, backwards, it's all good.

I never been there, but from what I saw on online in-car clips, there is room to pass everywhere.

There are lots of places to pass. It does take some time to learn them however. The good news is that with NASA's national format of a couple qualfying races it is great to learn where you can pass and where you can't.

This is turn 4 on lap 1 of the 944 spec race there this summer. It is taken with a slight lift at 85+ mph in single file. A little slower when two wide.

sigsss.jpg

After watching all 7 hours of the Grand Am race last Saturday, I am just not that interested in racing at Miller. There is a certain amount of "sameness" to the track. All the corners looked just like the previous ones before, and the next one after. Even the Speed announcers were bagging on the track a bit... saying there's only "one straight and 23 3rd-gear corners", among other comments. And from the looks of what happened during the race, NASA isn't moving to a better weather situation, either.

I'm not really sure about making the trip to Utah. Yes, the distance is partly the issue, but the track is a bigger part of it. If the next two years were at Laguna Seca I would be killing myself to get there, whatever it takes I would do it. I just don't feel that urge for Miller.

Patrick

If the next two years were at Laguna Seca I would be killing myself to get there, whatever it takes I would do it. I just don't feel that urge for Miller.

+1

If the next two years were at Laguna Seca I would be killing myself to get there, whatever it takes I would do it. I just don't feel that urge for Miller.

Laguna's a cool track but also one of the least interesting of the bunch out here in CA (IMO). Not to mention the noise restrictions. I'd take Sears Point (now Infineon) over Laguna. ...but other than an oval, I can't think of a track I wouldn't want to race on.

On a separate but related note... is there a date for Miller yet? I want to block that week off before my wife schedules something that I can't get out of.