2009 Rules

JWL

Folks-

We're a bit later this year, but please send suggestions for 2009 rules to me as soon as you can. The Directors will discuss, slice, and dice with a goal of meeting our traditional Halloween release date. The overall goal for me this year is as little change as possible with just clarifications on some tweaks that we have seen in recent months. The parity overall at the Nats was impressive and tells me that things are working pretty darn well, so the goal is to stay as static as possible for 2009.

Thanks and happy suggesting!

-JWL

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• ST#97

• JWL

• swhiteh3

Folks-

We're a bit later this year, but please send suggestions for 2009 rules to me as soon as you can. The Directors will discuss, slice, and dice with a goal of meeting our traditional Halloween release date. The overall goal for me this year is as little change as possible with just clarifications on some tweaks that we have seen in recent months. The parity overall at the Nats was impressive and tells me that things are working pretty darn well, so the goal is to stay as static as possible for 2009-2014

Thanks and happy suggesting!

-JWL

Fixed that for you!

Unlike the presidential campaign, it sounds like the prevailing message in AI is no change. Or like a bumper sticker I saw: NoBama 2008. Keep the change! Maybe we can send the same message to the CMC rules makers.

Ford in a ford, chevy in a chevy. Sounds simple enough for a new rule. Costs for ai and aix are bad enough without having to try and compete with specialty engine packages.

Ford in a ford, chevy in a chevy. Sounds simple enough for a new rule. Costs for ai and aix are bad enough without having to try and compete with specialty engine packages.

Honestly, I am all for folks putting LS1's in mustangs....I have yet to see one finish a race!

I agree.

Either manufacturer car and engines match, or just make engines open. It's a hell of lot easier and cheeper to get an aftermarket aluminum block, vs install an LS1 into a ford, especially if you are already running a Ford engine in a Mustang. Or better yet, just dictate which aftermarket aluminum blocks are legal, such as Dart, Ford motosports, world Products...

If a Dart iron block is legal, why not a Dart aluminum block?

(see new thread, "2009 - Rules engines")

With the economy the way it is any rule change to that encourages spending on anything, but travel and entry fees is counter productive.

If the new Toyo tire creates a track width issue, an adjustment there makes sense, other than that, lets leave it alone. I'd like to see someone other than the bulletproof rich getting to race next season.

I have always agreed!!!!

Leave as is except for following 4 changes. I think these changes stay very much with our philosophy of the class and also constantly evolving for the future.

1) Track Width Change to reflect new tires

Just add whatever new tires are wider to current amounts.

2) Open engine choices

As long as you are within power to weight I think it's a good idea to allow open combo's and aftermarket engines. Allows more options and choices and also in the case of ford easy crate motor changes possibly. Get's some cool possible combo's and creativity going for sponsors, etc..

3) Allow both RA1's and R888's for first 4 months of 2008 across country

Allows many of us to use up our current sets of RA1's. This is similar to how others handled 2008 season. At a minimal I would certainly ask regionals to consider this for there division.

4) Class new challenger's, camaro's regarding track width etc. and allow Mustang Challenge cars in without the ABS change.No I am not selling my car or going to one of these so no personal planned benefit here.Dodge is coming out with a road race version of the challenger as is camaro I hear. Just think it makes sense to always be adjusting to the newer cars before we end out being a vintage class of 30 year old mustangs with a random 20 yr old firebird.

Leave as is except for following 4 changes. I think these changes stay very much with our philosophy of the class and also constantly evolving for the future.

1) Track Width Change to reflect new tires

Just add whatever new tires are wider to current amounts.

2) Open engine choices

As long as you are within power to weight I think it's a good idea to allow open combo's and aftermarket engines. Allows more options and choices and also in the case of ford easy crate motor changes possibly. Get's some cool possible combo's and creativity going for sponsors, etc..

3) Allow both RA1's and R888's for first 4 months of 2008 across country

Allows many of us to use up our current sets of RA1's. This is similar to how others handled 2008 season. At a minimal I would certainly ask regionals to consider this for there division.

4) Class new challenger's, camaro's regarding track width etc. and allow Mustang Challenge cars in without the ABS change.No I am not selling my car or going to one of these so no personal planned benefit here.Dodge is coming out with a road race version of the challenger as is camaro I hear. Just think it makes sense to always be adjusting to the newer cars before we end out being a vintage class of 30 year old mustangs with a random 20 yr old firebird.

Let's start a seperate thread for each of these... I have input on all four but no sense it piling it all on in the same thread...

Let's keep this thread for discussion of the timing of rules changes and overall concepts, not discussions on individual issues.

JWL the poll process worked well for the nationals.

Perhaps getting the top hot topics and starting several threads with the choices and the ability to vote and than folks weigh in would really help get you and others some public opinion feel.

Would be neat to see how the AI community feels on certain topics and may reinforce where changes need to be made or not be made.

Rule 7.2

10" wide wheels for AI?

Is there actually any concrete evidence out there that this is an issue? So far it's all been hearsay from what I've read on these boards.

The 18" wheel rule was let in on the guise that S197s needed 18" wheels to fit 14" brakes last year and I don't see too many S197s, let alone ones with 14" brakes.

Are you really prepared to spend $800 on the cheap end for a new set of wheels plus another $400-800 for 2-4 more wheels as spares just to get .5-1" more wheel width?

Sorry to clutter the thread.

The R888 275/40-17 is noticably wider than the RA1. There is no question about that part.

I think a track adjustment is called for so that I can run what I have with the new spec tire.

I don't think wider wheels are required.

I am in the process of ordering another set of R888's for next year. Might be a couple weeks though and will mount one on a 9" wide konig villian. I will then let you know the physical dimensions compared to an RA1 on the same rim and whether or not it will clear the coil overs with/without a spacer and what the track width will be. I can also take pictures to show the difference in the sidewall....assuming they can get them mounted.

I am sort of surprised that one of the cheapest bastards around (me) is the one footing a bill to explore a new tire for rules modifications...

yea...found the tape measure. the car and the tires are out of state right now and the tape measure isn't the missing part of the equation.

don't believe me. Ive seen the two sets stacked side by side. Ive also, as I said, have loaded the tires left to right across the bed of my truck. I was able to fit 6 RA1's and only 5 R888's.

BF Goodrich R1's are bigger yet than the R888's. You will find that the 8's are wider. Whenever the official numbers are presented.

I will say that I would surprised if the powers that be haven't noticed this already.

The R888 275/40-17 is noticably wider than the RA1.

Noticeably or measurably? Find that tape measure yet?

You must have a reading comprehension problem...I already posted the static unmounted dimensions of each tire. if you think pinching it 3/4" will cause the section to be the same width as an RA1...you're smoking something you need to share with the rest of us!

Hey no rule changes are great for the ford guys........ but lets do a few changes for the GM's.

Lower the Hp/Tq ratio! I don't want to do an ls1 swap either! Stop crying ford guys! The new pony cars are going to need this, an ls2 makes to much hp for AI!

17x11's with 315's, they bolt right on my car

I'm all for leaving the stock engine blocks in place.

GM in a GM, ford in a ford.

Track adjustments are fine with me.

No 18" tires!

No racing ABS units!

NO factory racecars!

If you want to race on a budget go to CMC!

The R888 275/40-17 is noticably wider than the RA1.

Noticeably or measurably? Find that tape measure yet?

You must have a reading comprehension problem...I already posted the static unmounted dimensions of each tire. if you think pinching it 3/4" will cause the section to be the same width as an RA1...you're smoking something you need to share with the rest of us!

I'm not smoking anything, but you must be if you think it's reasonable to request a rule change until you have actually mounted a tire on rim and checked it on your car.