Ford Racing's Boss 302S Ready to Race AI in 2011

tacovini

As posted here at www.fordracing.com/news/detail/?article=38768

+++++++++++

FORD RACING’S BOSS 302S READY TO RACE IN ‘11

12/9/2010

Dearborn, Mich. — It has been The Year of the Boss. This past year has seen the return of the Mustang BOSS 302R to track at Daytona International Speedway and the unveiling of the 2012 BOSS 302 production Mustang, and now Ford Racing announces the latest addition to its line of turn-key ready to race Mustangs—the BOSS 302S.

Building on the successful race history of the BOSS302, Ford Racing is providing Mustang enthusiasts an affordable way to road race with the introduction of the Mustang BOSS 302S. The limited production BOSS 302S will be the third competition car in Ford Motor Company’s history to be built at a Ford production facility and made available for racers to purchase through authorized Ford Racing dealers. The Mustang FR500S was the first race car built on a modern Ford production line followed by the NHRA legal FR500CJ, a.k.a. Cobra Jet.

"Ford Racing is excited to add an additional turn-key ready to race car to our stable, which includes the highly successful FR500C, FR500S, BOSS 302R and Cobra Jet," said Mark Wilson, Engineering Manager Ford Racing. "The enthusiasts who purchase the BOSS 302S will be competitive in both the World Challenge GTS and the NASA American Iron Series. We look forward to adding their names to the BOSS 302's racing history.”

The 440-hp Ford Mustang BOSS 302S was developed by Ford Racing engineers, and will be built at Auto Alliance International assembly plant in Flat Rock, Mich., the home of the Mustang.

The car is based on the street legal 2012 Mustang BOSS 302. The Mustang BOSS 302S is powered by a Boss 5.0-liter 4-valve Ti-VCT V-8 engine and includes a 6-speed transmission sourced directly from the BOSS 302 parts bin. Power is transferred to the rear wheels, via a T2 Torsen differential and 3.73 gears. The BOSS 302S suspension features two-way adjustable coil-over dampers and Ford Racing anti-roll bars in both the front and rear.

The BOSS 302S uni-body starts as a Mustang body-in-white, to reduce weight, the factory seam sealer, sound deadener and interior panels are deleted prior to body build. In addition to body reinforcement, a 6-point Federation Internationale de L’Automobile legal roll cage is installed for driver safety and chassis rigidity. The interior features a Recaro Head and Neck Support system Pro-Racer lightweight race seat, 6-point safety belt, quick release steering wheel and AiM data acquisition system with Global Positioning System.

BOSS 302S aerodynamic updates include a unique fiberglass heat extracting hood, adjustable front splitter and adjustable carbon fiber rear wing. A retro styled BOSS 302 graphics package is included with each car and mimics the graphics from the original 1969 BOSS 302 program.

Production is scheduled the second quarter of 2011 and orders may be placed at Ford dealers that participate in the Ford Racing Performance Parts program by ordering part number FR500-B302S (performance white paint) or M-FR500-B302SO (orange paint). MSRP for the BOSS 302S is $79,000.00.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• D Algozine

• gbrown8439

• UBR

that car qualifies power to weight ratio? or is this why there is talk of changing the power to weight rules?

Rob,

Top people are working on it...Top people...

Now now boys, if I didn't know you guys I would be calling you guys haters but since I do I understand you're just stirring the pot.

Isn't it great that in a major release by a company the size of Ford that NASA and American Iron are named. If anyone wondered if AI was relevant in the racing world I guess you got your answer!

As far as the "top people" being on these rules opportunities (power to weight changes). I believe that they are not so enamored by the big wigs at Ford that they would bend to their wishes. If they do, then hell we'll just get some new "top people" to fix it! (BTW I think some "small" change would be good, say 9.0 to 1 hp .)

Robin Burnett

well...you know what car i have. i have to calm it down to make it AI legal. If this Boss R-S is AI legal as it comes, that would have to mean I can let my pony run the way it wants to. Thats all fine with me.

What does bother me is this disturbing trend out of Dearborn. The new Boss 302 Laguna Seca or LS for short and Boss 302r S or RS for short are very unFord, very actually CHEVY sounding names. Can we get yer boy AL to fix that?

First off....Rob, I'm sorry I missed talking to you more at Road Atlanta. We spoke in passing after the driver's meeting but I never saw you after that. My bad...there were a few I didn't get to meet.

I believe the HP # that the announcement gives is probably at the crank. I suspect it's likely closer to 400 at the wheels...which is really around where the new 5.0 is anyway. Remember, the Ford marketing folks are publishing this out to the masses, so it's got to be appealing.

As Robin said, I'm actually very excited by the announcement. We, as a series, are firmly on the roadracing map now...and shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd. Right now, at PRI, anyone who walks in the front door is going to see the American Iron National Championship car...with it's prominent new windshield banner. Next year, whenever we race, folks will see that same windshield banner and the series will have brand recognition where ever we go...and next year, that National Championship car could be any of you...which is why we want to have a clean, professional appearance...as drivers, as a series and as a group. Each of you are ambassadors of this series.

IF we change the P/W ratio someday in the future, believe you me, it won't be for one person...or one company...or one car. It will be based upon the long term trend of the ponycar market and the available pool of cars to build from.

Who knows....this could be the peak power days, and nothing but 200 HP 4cylinders will be all that Detroit pumps out in the coming decade!! (It's the 60's all over again!....hope not)

-=- Todd

todd,

you were busy. i had customers for my photography business to take care of. i didnt expect to see you again. there were numerous more important people for you to have meaningful conversation with at road atlanta than me.

you seemed to just suggest that the mustang gt 5.0L engine has little if any less whp than the boss 302 engine. this would be significantly false.

I would guess the new S car will make 380/385 at the rear wheels at 9.0 to 1 you'll need to be right around 3450lbs - What does the car weigh from Ford Racing? anybody know? at 9.5 to 1 it would have to be REALLY heavy if running unrestricted - feel free to correct me, I used 15% loss for the drivetrain from the 440 crank number. I like 9.0 to 1

AB

AI#46

I don't see too many people running out and paying 80 grand for a car to race AI. I'm sure we'll see it happen, and more so in world challenge. It is very cool that AI is getting the recognition it is tho. It would be cool to see some inter-series racing but I like our 9.5:1. It allows a lot of us to get away with stock, or closer to stock parts if your car is light enough.

that car qualifies power to weight ratio? or is this why there is talk of changing the power to weight rules?

Apparently the car weighs 3800 lbs.... Only problem will be getting big enough brakes inside 17/18 inch Toyos without them bursting into flames.

And YES, that is a joke. I'm guessing the car is heavy, but so is our new S197 compared to our Fox. We have restrictor plates in both of our cars. This new car will probably need the same. No big deal.

I'm just excited Ford is doing this stuff. What's the last "new" Camaro that came like this. GM expects the Grand Am teams and Brian Groth to do their race development work.

j

"Ford Racing is excited to add an additional turn-key ready to race car to our stable, which includes the highly successful FR500C, FR500S, BOSS 302R and Cobra Jet," said Mark Wilson, Engineering Manager Ford Racing. "The enthusiasts who purchase the BOSS 302S will be competitive in both the World Challenge GTS and the NASA American Iron Series. We look forward to adding their names to the BOSS 302's racing history.”

I'm surprised there haven't been any comments about the author of the quote.

The freakin' car stole the show this weekend, it was 5-6 deep every time I walked by. Ford had by far that best mfg presence at PRI, best display in the convention center ,Boss S, Rally Fiesta, Focus ST build for Grand AM ST, Cobra Jet, and a Street Mustang with all of the catalog bits bolted on, 4-5 cars in the entryway ( including the 2010 AI National champ) another 3-4 at the Hilton.

In contrast if you would have blinked you would have missed the GM display.

The Dodge booth had an ACR X Viper and a rolling loop of the series races playing on a big TV over the car. At least 1/2 of them could not drive a nail.... VERY VERY shallow talent pool there.......

Edited by Guest

Did you say Focus ST for Grand Am?

That's what one of the guys in the white shirts with a little blue oval on on it told a group of us while we were looking at it.

Did you say Focus ST for Grand Am?

That's what one of the guys in the white shirts with a little blue oval on on it told a group of us while we were looking at it.

I found the article with the concept vehicle, very cool.

I'm surprised there haven't been any comments about the author of the quote. [/

lol I think that that is before most guys times on these boards Matt. what was that 2002/03 since the willtone brothers made a show . The good old mansier days

Glad for Mark though just wish on track was still around as he gave me some pretty good deals.

I'm surprised there haven't been any comments about the author of the quote. [/

lol I think that that is before most guys times on these boards Matt. what was that 2002/03 since the willtone brothers made a show . The good old mansier days

Glad for Mark though just wish on track was still around as he gave me some pretty good deals.

BTW, what ever happened to the 29 car???

It was sold to a Shelby Club guy here in Wisconsin. Last I knew a shop near me was building a new engine for it, but that's all I know.

Other than the rear suspension issue, it was a very well built car.

Shame, that car would be perfect for enduros.

BTW, Tiger Racing is working with a couple dealers around the country to take orders for the Boss 302S cars. Feel free to contact me for any details or to get an order going.

Paul Brown

Tiger Racing

626-967-6796

[email protected]

Cool! Is Tiger Racing producting them all? If so, can you confirm the dry weight?

-=- T