NASA ANNOUNCES: Extension for using Toyo RA1 as spec tire 09

Dave Schotz

Extension for using Toyo RA-1 for spec tire classes

RICHMOND, CA (Apr 01, 2009) — The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) announced today that rules in all spec tire classes will be changed effective immediately to allow the use of the both the Toyo R888 or the Toyo Proxes RA-1 until the end of the 2009 season. This change is being made in partnership with Toyo to better allow racers to use up remaining RA-1's they had on hand and ease the transition to the new R888 without racers having to replace tires before the end of their useful life. Rule updates will be completed shortly and posted to the main www.nasaproracing.com site.

Wish I would have known this before I had practically 'given away' all my good RA-1's!

Anyways... this should help all those out... that had stocked up on em!

Now the debate... which tire is quickest on 'YOUR CAR'?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitchntx1548534714

• ls168camaro

• Glenn

• Dave Schotz

This whole Toyo situation is a freakin Joke!!!!!!

A bad April fools joke?

I hope it is, nothing would suprise me at this time.

i dont think NASA is up to playing April Fool's jokes on the National site. if they are, they are in for it big time. i have folks who ordered tires already based on this.

I didn't even realize the 'April Fools' opportunity of this posting!

man... I should have come up with something much better!

This unfortunately... or fortunately... is direct from the Nasa site.

So does this mean, everyone ends up running RA1's?

Are they actually faster than R888's? (I haven't ran the triple 8's yet)...

It sure seems those Triple 8's are BIG!

Dave

i have folks who ordered tires already based on this.

This is laughable it's such a huge mess. Someone needs to take a few public relations classes.

This Marie Antionette mentality is costing a LOT of us some HUGE dollars.

Given that this is CMC, which is - for the most part - made up of folks who truly believe this is a driver's series, not a parts series, I believe we will find that most people who have RA1s will drive them until they're dead - which they would have done anyway, cuz we're all so damn cheap.

And then when it's time to buy the next set of tires, they will buy R888s for two reasons. 1, it's the smart thing to do, so they don't have leftover RA1s in 2010. 2, because they won't be able to find any 16" RA1s.

Now, if folks want to rain on my naive parade - keep it to yourselves. In the Rocky Mtn region, this is how it will play out. And we'll still kick your ass at Nationals.

-chris

Now, if folks want to rain on my naive parade - keep it to yourselves. In the Rocky Mtn region, this is how it will play out. And we'll still kick your ass at Nationals.

-chris

I won't rain on your naive parade, because I think you're spot on...however...if we HAVE to hand over the National CMC Championship trophy to another region, it's NOT going to be the Rocky Mountain!!!

(ummmm...your parade's gettin' a little wet....raining outside. See you at Hallett. )

In the Rocky Mtn region, this is how it will play out. And we'll still kick your ass at Nationals.

-chris

That's because RM is a bunch of cheaters and we all dyno at 5868 ft!!!!

2, because they won't be able to find any 16" RA1s.

Phil's inventory of full tread RA1s has drastically decreased in the past day, but he still has some left in CMC sizes.http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24097

I read a couple months ago that RA1s only ceased production in the "Toyo" factory. They are supposedly now being made in a "Nitto" factory and will be for the rest of this year. I put the names in quotes because Nitto is a Toyo brand.

It's being reported on other forums that 944 Spec has banned the RA1's in the Rocky Mountain and Midwest Regions. I guess that trumps NASA Nationals move.

Sidney

Obviously some clarification is going to need to happen very quickly, as people are probably buying RA1's now... and if the rules are going to get changed again... more people are going to be upset.

I haven't bought either yet... still using up my old stuff... but I'd like to know what I should plan on running at Miller.

Dave

I think the decision is better late than never. I have many drivers that haven't raced yet this year and still have RA-1's. I think it would have been unfair to force them to go out and buy 888's just because they missed the two race limit.

On the flip side......I have many guys that were forced to use up their full tread RA-1 rains because they didn't think they would be allowed to use them later in the year.

Any way you slice it, someone is going to get a raw deal.

Kent

and thats just it Kent, 2 wrongs dont make a right. i think we should continue down the road we already were traveling.

also, i have no simpathy for those who go out and buy new RA1's. the rules was changed to allow those w/ used RA1's a chance to use them up, not to allow folks to go buy more.

and thats just it Kent, 2 wrongs dont make a right. i think we should continue down the road we already are traveling.

also, i have no simpathy for those who go out and buy new RA1's. the rules was changed to allow those w/ used RA1's a change to use them up, not to allow folks to go buy more.

It's not like I am jumping for joy about this, I think it's a tough deal. I think if something is broken, you fix it. This was broken, and at least the fix was communicated early in the season.

I am willing to bet that there is more to this story that we don't know.

The only point that you and agree on is that I would rather not have drivers going out and buying new RA-1's. Where we differ is that I think it's fine to let them use up what they have the rest of the year.

With that said, RA-1's are almost $100 a set less so I am tempted.

Kent