Starting an New Class

TexaST-1

I'm with Kevin. I race what ever class has more cars. But if we are going to try to go to the Nationals this year, we can't do that. I guess we have to pick a class and stay racing in it...even if noone else shows up. I would love to go to the nationals and race VVC...I bet we have a good group...but I don't want to race all year long w/ no other racers.

BTW, Jaymz....I used to race Ron. He used to sit on the grid w/his stereo(in T1) wide open playing I can't drive 55 by Sammy Hagar. Great guy!! He got a bad deal!! Hope you are enjoying the car.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TexaST-1

• Jaymz

• BradyMorehead

• FrankBarba

The point I am trying to make is that a slightly modified ex T1 car will be in the x class not the 2 class. For example a car that has interior removed, good exhaust system (headers, no cats) heads and cam will put that car in the x class becuase of the existing 7.3:1 rule. 3200 lbs/450 =7.11

Why not make it a 6.3:1 or 6.0:1 rule which will keep the WC cars out of GPC2. This class will be more successful if this happens. One reason. more cars will be in the same 2 classes. (GPC1 & GPC2) If someone shows up with an Ex WC or TransAm car they will race in the x class. Someone with the minor mods mentioned above will not have to race them becuase their 450 RWHP car is in the X class.

I do agree that Ron got a bad deal. Last I heard from Lenora is that he was doing ok but wouldn't race anymore. I have enjoyed the car since I bought it from him. I have probably rebuilt everything on it so far but it definately has been a fun ride.

When I bought the car he made sure I had the Sammy Hagar cd in the stereo. He told me the stories of playing the radio cranked up on the grid.

BTW I can't drive 55 either.

BTW, Jaymz....I used to race Ron. He used to sit on the grid w/his stereo(in T1) wide open playing I can't drive 55 by Sammy Hagar. Great guy!! He got a bad deal!! Hope you are enjoying the car.

The point I am trying to make is that a slightly modified ex T1 car will be in the x class not the 2 class. quote]

500hp with 10% parasitic loss = 450 RWHP

not sure that's slightly modified T1. But I like it!

Hey, but I understand. It looks like there is the bone stock T1 class GP1, the wide open GPX (for the crazy forced induction guys)......and then there is us in GP2. So your saying- Let's make it broader to encompass a larger us by making the ratios a little broader. I get it. If we did go broader I would say stay conservative, so that we can modify it a little as the class progresses. It would be easier to add slight power than find ways to turn back those expensive upgrades. A better sense of feeling good about what you've done to the car, rather than subtracting and feeling worse. (Wow! I can feel the difference....is always better than- oh shoot, it's a slug now!)

Just my opinion.

I'm a stock T1 now, but in a few months I'll do the cam/head deal....hoping for what you suggested!!

GPC-1 T1 with slight mods

GPC-2 More mods, less weight

GPC-X Over the top and WC

I really do not see the problem. I do agree we may need to raise the bar in GPC 2 on rear wheel HP.

With the 7.3 rules in place all 5 of the cars that are in the OH/IN will be in X. I would rather see these 5 cars in GPC2 so the field is 10-15 cars not 5 in x and 5 in 2.

All I am trying to do is get the most cars in one class as possible.

Why didn't you say so originally. Let me know what you need and I'll look at it and make a recomendation.

I want this class to be as strong as possible a quickly as possible.

I think that we need to make a few limitations to GPC2. Increase the power to weight ratio to 5.5:1. Minimum weight with driver is 3200 lbs.

-(That will keep the WC and TransAM cars in GPCx)

Dry sump allowed in GPC2. Must run on DOT tires.

Viper Comp Coupes are allowed in GPC2 IF they are on DOT rubber.

What do you think?

Dry sump is covered for 2&X

DOTs are cover in GPC1&2

Viper Comp A SPec CC as delivered from Dodge (520 hp Crank approx 3150lbs) has been addressed. I am not sure if that is with or with-out driver. I am waiting to hear from Frank on what his car weighs.

5.5:1 is 581.8 RWHP to 3,200lbs Maybe I missed something?

Edited by Guest

I believe that the comp coupe is delivered @ 3005 lbs without driver. The 520 HP is with a generic tune on the Motec that will run on 94 octane. If someone gets aggressive with the tune I am sure another 40-50 horse is in there.

I was thinking that 5.5:1 would be a good number. My car is no where near that number. I just don't want to limit the class to kick regular cars into X when they should be racing with the rest of us in GPC2

I have not been able to weigh my car yet. The VRL league weight is

3150 with driver after race or qualify.

Remember there are 2 Comp Coupes...A Spec CC which mine is or you can go the distance with a World Challange CC (keep that one in X)

The Motec is for DATA only. The only thing you can tune with the MOTEC is the driver. It will show you your breaking zones, speed thru apex's ect...no tuning at all. Tuning would require a ECU Flash.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the plan looks good. I think that we want to make sure that the power/weight ratio is very important in the 1-2 class. You and I discussed the fact that my car has longtube headers and a cam in it, which might push it into the 2nd group, but it is only an LS-1, so it is down on power compared to a LS-6. Therefore, the hp/weight rule will class it where it is competitive. I think you have done a great job and have very helpful to everyone. I hope to seem some of you at the HPE dyno/tech this weekend. I have the "other" Nassau Blue car....the slower one.

It has been put back on me to completely finalize the rules and run them in our region first.

Frank and others, when is your first race this season?

I am going somewhat base this on VVC but make some sensable changes (like making the stock comp coupe a GPC2 class car).

thats just silly.

If he is running DOT's and fits with the Power to Weight ratio whats wrong with it?

if T1 cars are group 1.. and all out cars are 3.. a comp coupe with anyone who can half-way drive will OWN group 2..

if you think a 500 HP comp coupe is equal to a 500 HP corvette.. you are very mistaken.

my first race is february at VIR....I have exactly less than 3 weeks to prepare my car for this class. i am sure that i will fit within the power to weight ratio on DOT's in class 2.......gotta know what the rules are as i do not race during the summer months because of work. i have to get them in late winter early spring & then fall.....

I have raced against Frank in the comp coupe a few times. His car will out power mine, that's about it. I think the vette has better braking due to the lower weight. I think handling is about equal maybe a small percentage toward the Vette.

He is right that the WC prepped comp coupes are faster cars. They take the 130k comp coupe and massage another 70-90 grand into the car. All od that work is what makes the difference between the two.

I still feel that the X class will be the catch all class and won't have many cars in it. GPC2 will have about 75% of the cars in it if the class structure is setup right.

thats just silly.

If he is running DOT's and fits with the Power to Weight ratio whats wrong with it?

if T1 cars are group 1.. and all out cars are 3.. a comp coupe with anyone who can half-way drive will OWN group 2..

if you think a 500 HP comp coupe is equal to a 500 HP corvette.. you are very mistaken.

I still feel that the X class will be the catch all class and won't have many cars in it. GPC2 will have about 75% of the cars in it if the class structure is setup right.

yeah.. and like i said.. if anyone who can half way drive brings a comp coupe, they will own.