Nasa's Tire Ruling

Dave Whitelaw

Well I (finally) have a dog in this fight...

This past weekend was my first on 888's. I might be the only one, but I liked them better than the RA-1's.

Though I'm still getting up on the best pressures, they seemed to fit my driving style more. The RA-1s can take a lot of abuse (spinning, sliding, etc), and they keep going. The 888s on the other hand will pretty much concede the fight if you push them too hard and they're gone for the race.

Historically, I've been 1.5-2 seconds off Nick's laptimes. This past weekend, he was on RA-1s and I was on 888s. I was still 1.5-2 seconds off his times. If I had been giving up a second or so by being on 888s, I should have been 3+ seconds down.

If you're the type that basically tears the tires up every lap (expecting RA-1 responses), you won't like the 888s. If you adjust to a less aggressive camber/toe, add pressure, and smooth your driving style, 888s will be fine.

Or, if you're like me, the 888s will just work better for you.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitchntx1548534714

• Tony G

• AllZWay

• liebbe1548534713

Well I (finally) have a dog in this fight...

This past weekend was my first on 888's. I might be the only one, but I liked them better than the RA-1's.

I will probably get tared and feathered for this, but I'm with you! I don't have a problem with the Triple 8, although I have never really run on RA1s, so my opinion is lopsided, much like those who have spent the last decade on the RA1. I have done alright on the 888, but I keep hearing wait until you race on the RA1...

On the flip side I will say this, the wear is absolutely horrible! A full tread tire that got me 3 events? I don't know that I can afford the 888s...

On the flip side I will say this, the wear is absolutely horrible! A full tread tire that got me 3 events? I don't know that I can afford the 888s...

You need to check your setup. My teammate wasted his pass front after one event. But, his setup was all wrong. He changed spring rates (it was too soft before) all the way around, changed alignment settings, and is now getting great wear.

I have 4 full events on my tires (9 races, 8 practice sessions, 8 qual sessions....~8 hours of track time), and there is still 2 weekends left.

According to Bryan Shackleford with Toyo's Only, you can flip the R888 just like the RA1. Mount them directionally the first time, give 'em a good heat cycle, then flip away.

According to Bryan Shackleford with Toyo's Only, you can flip the R888 just like the RA1. Mount them directionally the first time, give 'em a good heat cycle, then flip away.

I've heard, and felt different. I have a new set of shaved 888s that we originally ran backwards. We did an intial scrub in on them and then one pratice session. This past weekend we put them on the car and mounted them in the foward direction (tread wise). I had a horrible vibration from the rear. We turned them back around and it was gone....

I've heard, and felt different. I have a new set of shaved 888s that we originally ran backwards.
Mounting them backwards first may may have caused some tread lapping, especially since they would have been shaved directionally.

As Adam said, mount them directionally correct the first time, THEN feel free to swap around...

TG-in 2010 do you think we will only be on one tire or allowed both? I'm curiuos about saving my 888's for rains in the future.

TG-in 2010 do you think we will only be on one tire or allowed both? I'm curiuos about saving my 888's for rains in the future.

Good Question!

Ok, so its for 2010.

Let me help you decide on how to use your Toyo bucks today since there are 2 tires available.

I would buy RA1's...

Ya, some just missed it. Here it is again...

For those who haven't read the entire thread...

Ok, so its for 2010.

Let me help you decide on how to use your Toyo bucks today since there are 2 tires available.

I would buy RA1's...

So for 2010 ...

I've heard, and felt different. I have a new set of shaved 888s that we originally ran backwards.
Mounting them backwards first may may have caused some tread lapping, especially since they would have been shaved directionally.

As Adam said, mount them directionally correct the first time, THEN feel free to swap around...

Hmmm tread lapping?? Now there is a new term...

After talking to Griggs Racing, they did testing on both tires and confirmed the R888 is 1-2 sec. slower than the RA1, even after tuning the car for each. Both tires, back to back, 15 min. each cycle at Sears.

Ok, so its for 2010.

I would buy RA1's...

So for 2010 ...

Yeah, sorry Tony, I can't quite use your quip here as an official notification. I like the implication, but it just doesn't quite have the proper wording just yet.

Well...I have to tell you that I can't believe this is taking so long, but all I can say is that I check every 2 days and its the fine tuning that is taking up the time to declare what will happen for 2010.

Again if your in a bind than call me and I can set you in the right direction if needed.

Hint:We will be on one tire next year...and any left overs from whatever you have from this year will not be trashed for next year...as there will be a feed in as usual.

August 11, 2009 7:48 AM — The National Auto Sport Association announces it is renewing its longtime partnership with Toyo Tires; extending its contract for an additional three years beginning January 1, 2010. As a part of this extension, all NASA spec tire classes will be going back to the Toyo Proxes RA1 as the required tire. This will become effective January 1, 2010 with a three-weekend grace period to allow the use of the previously allowed R888 tires. “This move was made in response to customer input, and we hope the racers will be pleased by this announcement. The RA1 has become a favorite amongst many NASA racers and has proven itself for speed, consistency, and longevity,“ said NASA’s National Chairman Ryan Flaherty.

NASA Competition Racing has a wide variety of road racing classes designed to welcome both entry level and seasoned racers who wish to compete wheel to wheel. Toyo Tires’ Proxes® RA1™ is an R-compound, street legal competition radial and is the spec tire for several classes in this exciting program.

“NASA and Toyo Tires have enjoyed a successful relationship for 14 years and we look forward to adding another three years to that run,†said Jerry Kunzman NASA's Executive Director. “In our opinion Toyo has always had the best interest of their customers in mind so it's great to see the relationship continue in this manner.â€

“Toyo Tires is proud to continue our sponsorship of NASA road racing,†said Stan Chen, manager of events and motorsports, Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp. “Our Proxes RA1 has long been popular with amateur and professional racers and is a great fit with this exciting series.â€

Great for vehicles ranging from sport compacts to European and American muscle machines, the Proxes RA1 is cost-effective by delivering excellent wear and winning consistency on the track. NASA classes using the Proxes RA1 include: American Iron, Camaro-Mustang Challenge, Factory Five Challenge, Honda Challenge, Spec 3/Spec e30 (BMW), Spec Focus, Spec Miata, and 944-spec.

To learn more about the many driving opportunities provided by NASA, whether racing or high-performance training, log on to nasaproracing.com. To learn more about the full line of Proxes tires from Toyo Tires, log on to toyotires.com. Toyo Tires manufactures and distributes a complete line of replacement tires for high performance cars, luxury vehicles, light trucks and SUVs as well as tires for commercial trucks, buses and off-road and construction applications.

Finally! Sounds great with the exception of the three week grace period next season for the R888s. I don't get it! If folks have to burn them off then why not let them; is anyone going to care? That can only hurt people's wallets at this tough economical time if they are in the R888 heavy position. I just sayin'!

Good news all the way around.

with a three-weekend grace period to allow the use of the previously allowed R888 tires.

I would have liked to have seen some words allowing the longer term use of 888s as rain tires. But it is what it is.

happy-cat.jpg

How long do you need to know in advance so you can "burn them off?" Don't buy any new R888s starting from today, how hard is that?

I'm glad I've only got two left that I was saving for rains and that I didn't have time to buy two more for rains.

Since the 888's aren't any good for more than 2 weekends (this was racer's number one complaint), it's all good.

Sell them to the Rocky Mountain guys. By the time we hit our 4th weekend and mandated to go RA1 we are into July 2010. This is 11 months warning for us!!!

Yeah, so you have the rest of 09 and the first three race of 10 to use up any remaining R888s. Is anybody really going to be financially devastated if they end up with a few tires that are less than worn fully down to the cords?

It will be interesting to see what Nationals car count does with this ruling in place coupled with the relaxed price increase date.

I am glad decison was made and we can move forward.

I would like to have seen us get to use the 888's all next year. I have a full tread set I have been using as rain tires and really like them for that.

But...that said.. I am fine with the decision.

Yeah, so you have the rest of 09 and the first three race of 10 to use up any remaining R888s. Is anybody really going to be financially devastated if they end up with a few tires that are less than worn fully down to the cords?

R888s aren't good to the cords anyway. Past the wear bars the rubber is real hard. You can keep running on them, but I was 2.5 seconds slower over the weekend.