Mustang FR500S in American Iron?

BOC- Beau

Matt,

Howsabout refocusing your energy on the upcoming Hallett event where all the folks from Central America will be training for the upcoming Nationals?

-=- Todd

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ST#97

• robbodleimages

• D Algozine

• Red Tornado

Matt,

Howsabout refocusing your energy on the upcoming Hallett event where all the folks from Central America will be training for the upcoming Nationals?

-=- Todd

Ok Dad....

So 30-40k in motors for a weekend isn't insane? $100k for a built AI car...?

It's just like any other racing. The people who have the money will spend it and those who don't will do without. I didn't used to get it at all and now I just live with it. This isn't Spec Miata, so hopefully ingenuity and effort can win over cubic dollars. A bigger rule book doesn't necessarily make racing cheaper. SM and NASCAR are prime examples. I like our skinny little rulebook.

What do you do when they have ABS and you don't? Smile if you beat them.

We already have cars near that $100,000 figure and anyone spending 30 to 40K a weekend on engines needs to take a hard look at the rules again. The rules in AI just don't require stupid expensive engines. A do-it-yourselfer can build a motor for less than $2,500 and an engine builder doing all the work can do it for less than $10,000.

However, the point that no one has built a car to fully exploit the rules still stands.

Sidney

AI #64

However, the point that no one has built a car to fully exploit the rules still stands.

Sidney

AI #64

I decided to start trying....but something to do with not having enough money is holding me back!

Sidney

AI #64

I decided to start trying....but something to do with not having enough money is holding me back!

You guys always find a way to suck me in....

Cars have been built to the edge of the rules, or more appropriately the edge of the intent of the rules. However, very little has been done to exploit any and all gaps in the existing rules. Which I think, that most will agree, by having a small rule book and not having a statement such as," only mods listed or addressed in this rule set are legal, any mods not detailed are illegal," leaves the door open. Without such a statement and having a small rule set, the grey area is pretty large. But in the end of the day, anything outside the standard needs to be approved by JWL and the other directors, so theres the catch all.

I didn't crawl all over Pat L.'s car at the Nationals, but it looked liked nearly everything that is legal, and widely accepted, had been done on that car. Including the LS1 swap. I'm sure there are other car's, as well.

There is no spending limit on your car or equipment. I've seen success with big money, very little money, and everything in between. Give me another $20k for my car and I'll gladlly spend it. However, I wouldn't gaurantee that I'll be faster,....but I'd be happy to spend the money and find out. Anyone looking to complete an experiment on how spending money effects the out come? I'll gladly be a test subject, as long as I'm on the spending side, and not the control group.

Which I think, that most will agree, by having a small rule book and not having a statement such as," only mods listed or addressed in this rule set are legal, any mods not detailed are illegal," leaves the door open.

I'm really glad our rules are not that way. If I wanted to race under that ruleset, I would've built a CMC or ASedan car.

Give me another $20k for my car and I'll gladlly spend it. However, I wouldn't gaurantee that I'll be faster
Give me $20K, and I'll absolutely guarantee mine will go faster.

Give me $20k and I guarantee you'll be faster. I'll include unlimited "competition yellows" if you end up falling behind and "competition blacks" for everyone but you to even the playing field. I'll even throw in a super fast transponder and "special" qualifying for everyone else with a pace car. (Kidding with all this, of course)

As for the OEM ABS question, it can't be a BMW, Horch, Skoda, or any other Euro ABS because we've defined OEM as the big 3 with no exceptions. So, you can quit hacking up perfectly good M5's just for the ABS brains unless of course you get off on that sort of thing and have more money than God or Tom Vu.

-JWL

I just wanted to say this has been one long thread. I expect to see at least 4-5 of these next year in AI at least.

Really the cost to get one of these to AI specs and really well setup you could do for about $30k cheaper is my guess.

The Audi emblem has four overlapping rings that represent the Auto Union. The Audi emblem symbolizes Audi amalgamation of Audi with DKW, Horch and Wanderer: the first ring represents Audi, the second represents DKW, third is Horch, and the fourth and last ring Wanderer.

August Horch is also the founder of Audi 1910