LliH ReD NuHt 4-3/4 roll call

slammed_93_hatch

crowsnestsequnce.jpg

That mosaic pretty much sums up every lap of the whole weekend. Some of the closest and best racing I have been in. Thanks for helping me get my car ready for this weekend Brian Z, I would have hated to miss this event.

Everyone in the honda group should be patting themselves on the back. Not only are our laptimes in the top 5% of Group A, and our battles rival those of a spec series, but we did it without trading a stich of paint this weekend, and that is something we should all be proud of. I honestly think that honda drivers are becoming the elite in NASA. Let's keep it up.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slammed_93_hatch

• ekim952522000

• BrianZ

• AustinG

I agree with chris!!!!

I went three wide at the start of the race through 15 and 14, with rookie drivers on each side of me. WE NEVER TOUCHED. It was awesome that every just held there line and drove in control.

Ill try and get video up, but don't know when i will have time, hopefully soon. I only have the first two laps from sunday though.

I was one of those rookies....and I'm glad it was Brian, Jimmy and Chris around me, good clean racing

Absolutely, 2 great races Saturday and Sunday. I had to work my rear off, came out of the car dripping of sweat!

This H2 group is awesome. Very clean, respectful, yet fast and aggressive racing. I'm learning a lot, and learning to push myself a little further all the time.

Would love to see Chris's, Jimmy's and Brian's video's.

I'll try and get mine up tonight.

I heard from all our support group that were wathching that it was great racing and very entertaining. let's keep it up and lift the profile of Hnda Challenge and get ourselves some more series sponsors.

Would love to see Chris's, Jimmy's and Brian's video's....

I didn't have a camera running, but I bet Jimmy's is the best. He was at the tail of that sunday train. Watching that 4 car train from Vito's camera was pretty inspiring, because we refused to stretch out. It is a very cool race group that packs the first 4 places within 8 car lengths of real estate, and stays that way the whole race!

If the races where both ran using turn 5 then we only have a new track record for H1 and H2 not two for each.
Thats what I meant. LOL! Mike, are you and Lenna going to make it to the next event?

Cool if you guys need any help let me know.

We are going to have three Type R powered hatches in H2 thats awesome!

Oh yeah and let me know if ya want to buy some spoon calipers for your new car

Thanks bro. I gutted the dash and am still dry icing the sound deadening crap right now. Car will be at Mikes tonight.

Looking at my times, I need to become more consistent, but I'm a rookie and it will come with time...and getting used to moving through traffic with Dan Wright sitting right on my ass, we had a great battle through the race after I was able to get a better launch off of the start.

I was faster then Dan from 2-->11/10, whereas he was faster from 9-->5. I made a few mistakes with braking points, and a missed shift or two ...but Dan mirrored my mistakes behind me, which allowed me to keep my place. Dan could almost pass me in the 2-->1 transition, but would lose a lot of time down the front straight. I can't wait to see the in car from Dan...to see how bad I was, as well as the in car that I took using the camera that Liam was kind enough to loan me. I felt that I was driving very sloppily, but Dan and I had a lot of fun in the back...just give us some time and we'll be up there with everyone else. I need more power, and I need to lose a lot of weight from the car.

I lost 5-7 seconds per lap to Liam, Brian, and Jimmy, finishing 52 seconds behind Liam, and 32/33 seconds behind of Chris Smith and Vitali. Dan Wright finished a whopping 0.357 seconds behind me

The times I ran:

2:18.644

2:17.042

2:17.352

2:18.356

2:19.237

2:16.738<--best lap

2:16.950

Just a reminder, here is what the car is:

'93 "Si"

~2,360lbs with fuel(D16 min is 2,000)

D16 engine, ~125 whp

Si Transmission with a 4.9 FD

Zeal B6 suspension, 8k/10k springs

Comptech Rear bar, full stiff

GSR front bar

Thanks Jimmy! Graham was out to a comanding lead early. However, boredom took over and he wanted to play around a bit so he backed off for a couple corners. Graham, Andrie, and I were close for a while. Andrie had some overheating issues that spoiled our 3 way battle. Graham and I duked it out for a couple laps until the final lap when Graham got screwed by lapped traffic (#88 USTCC). It was going to be an exciting finish until that happened. Thanks to Graham, it was a fun H1 race to watch and be in. However, it seems as though no one cares about H1 anymore. The H2 monster is taking over!

Devin Raynal

H1 1992 civic si #6

.....The H2 monster is taking over!.......

except half of them where H4 cars but I was glad to see a H2 car win H2...lol

my dad did a great job driving in h2 this weekend. He won from the pole on saturday and won from 3rd place on sunday. i wish i could have watched since it looked like an awesome race between my dad and the H4 crew.

Sunday's race was fun for me as I got to duke it out with my friend and team mate Devin. We would have crossed the finish line really close, and hopefully side by side if it wasn't for Bongiovanni getting in the way.

It's too bad Mike's motor blew on sunday morning, as we would have a great race again.

Congrat's to Dave for passing his lisence test and driving two great races!

Austin, Dan & Chris Smith also did great by improoving their laps times alot over the weekend.

austin those times aren't that far off really. Some of my times in my first races were in a range of 10 or so seconds. And i still struggle to run consistent. Some how on sunday i managed to run all of my flying laps within .8 seconds of each other. But that is not a normal thing. The 2.5 second interval in your flyers aren't bad.

A big thing for me is managing traffic, Saturday it worked out ok some times and other it didn't. I don't think you can always have traffic work your way, but you can "minimize the damage" that traffic does cause. Since we have momentum car it is really important to minimize the "damage" traffic does.

Something i was talking to vito about, and he had a hard time believing, is how some times just little things make a big difference. Some times not lifting, getting on the gas sooner, or just going through the corner faster even just in small amounts can make big differences.

I have data from T-hill CCW, and the only difference between the two laps was turn 6. On my faster lap i carried around 2mph from mid corner in 6 all the way to turn 9 (because i got on the gas sooner in 6). This 2mph, equaled 2 tenths of a second.

While the only thing i would worry about if i were you is trying to slowly get faster, safely, while on your rookie book. These are important things to think of.

If you watch my video, see how Jimmy rockets past me on the first lap coming out of turn 10. I lift going into 10, while Jimmy goes flat.

I visualized Jimmy passing me into turn 9 under braking, while he was able to pick up extra speed up the hill and passed me before turn 9 on the outside, awesome .

Jimmy is around 2200lbs and ~125whp, while I am 2450lbs and ~135whp, so our power to weight ratio is very close. Proper technique is what made Jimmy rocket past me into turn 9.

I think the biggest skill is to learn how to mentally push yourself. Notice how all the rookies (including me) got faster while following someoneone else? Dan shaved off 4 seconds following Austin and my fastest lap was lap 2 while I was still struggling to keep up with Jimmy as the train of top four kept pulling away from me.

H2 is a great place for rookies, everyone is getting up to speed and we'll naturally push each other to go faster. We got to race with Chris Smith on both Saturday and Sunday, I was faster going out of 9 into turn 6 and he was much faster going through turn 15 and 14. I think if we were to put together our best segment times, we'd see 2:11.8 - 2:12s.

Chris got much faster on Sunday going through 9 to 6, as i wasn't able to pass him into 6 like I did on Saturday.

Thanks for the great weekend everyone!

Here is my Saturday video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4650887395309035974&hl=en

Will get Sunday up tonight or tomorrow.

Agree with the traffic problems, which we all need to learn how to deal with. I lost a good gap on Saturday coming out of 1 onto the straight away with a Porsche in the middle of T1 (see Brian Z's video), and Chris and Jimmy were all over me.

Looks like Vito and Chris S had a good run, and Austin and Dan had a great battle also, and drastically improved their times.

nice video liam!!

The gearing seems a little shorter, did you guys put a 4.7 or a 4.9 in that tranny?

Also if you don't mind me asking what do you rev it too?

It's a 4.7, just put it in. I like the ratio between 3 & 4, but miss my long 3rd. Seems to be between gears sometimes at Thunderhill, but I think it'll be better at Infenion.

4th is grinding a little, so we'll need to pull it and take a look before Thunderhill.

Other than that the car is driving and handling awesome. I love my B16 !!

small correction, the tranny is a 96spec itr tranny (itr gears 1-5) w/ a 4.785 final drive. Still using the stock ITR lsd too.

at all the other events we ran in the #7 red H2 car we had a 98spec type r tranny (itr 1-3, gsr 4-5) with a 4.7 final drive.

the drop between 3rd and 4th was too much for the torqueless B16.

We rev the B16A to 9100rpm. Its got ITR cams & Portflow valvetrain.

Would love to see Chris's, Jimmy's and Brian's video's.

here is what i have of sunday's race (sorry about the quality)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1659807500361056718&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is saturdays video

Google video version of my saturday incar video

and mike are you really going to come play in H2 now?

Say it ain't so Mike, you leaving us in H1????

I'm stay in H1, I am for sure missing next event though. I have zero time to put a new motor together. I'll be there though.

Austin, here is your video from Sunday's race. You did great! Nice dice in the back of the field between you guys. Big improvement from Saturday, keep it up. Motor sounds great.

Seems we all got confused with the start Sunday. I thought we were on the green flag also when the starter called us up closer. I couldn't see the flag, so I was waiting for the 1st car to launch. Seems the bak of the grid had the same idea...pretty funny to watch !!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3038284826310912332&hl=en

Liam