• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbodleimages

• ST#97

• IGZOSTD

• nape

Stock ECU with a chip is a great way to contain costs, IMHO. I didn't bring it up this year, but should have.

I understand that cars which already have stand-alone EFI systems should probably be grandfathered so the containment can help, in Todd's words, "new reserves" to build cars for AI without having to worry about the $$$ for a custom EFI system.

...or we could just mandate carbs, 12" rotors, and cam lifts less than .500...

and complete engine tear downs for everyone..right? (Tom Ellis is a friend of mine)

I'd say be ready for an influx of AS drivers into AI/CMC/2 over the next couple years. if you are taking your car home from a race in boxes....car count is going to dive like a lesbian at convent!

Stock ECU with a chip is a great way to contain costs, IMHO. I didn't bring it up this year, but should have.

That's fine if your platform is easily tuneable and there are people with the knowledge to do it.

I'd rather pick up a meth habit then try to tune a stock 3rd gen computer with a modified engine again...

I'd rather pick up a meth habit then try to tune a stock 3rd gen computer with a modified engine again...

What do you mean "pick up" a meth habit? I thought you had to already have one to run a Firechicken.

I understand that cars which already have stand-alone EFI systems should probably be grandfathered so the containment can help, in Todd's words, "new reserves" to build cars for AI without having to worry about the $$$ for a custom EFI system.

...or we could just mandate carbs, 12" rotors, and cam lifts less than .500...

I have a Haltech on my car. I would much rather have a stock ECU, frankly. I can not understand the thought process that would lead someone to think they must spend "$$$ for a custom EFI system." In my case, anyway, my car is never going back to stock because I don't have the time to screw with it let alone tune it.

As much as we'd like to control costs, I do think we should remember the AS issues and avoid them like the plague. Power to weight is a key component of the cost issues and the success of AI. I have no idea how to deal with "cheating the power curve" even with stock computers.

As much as a 13" rotor rule seems to make sense, you don't want guys having to "downgrade" factory brakes to participate and end up looking like AS with the 12" rule. It has to evolve. OTOH, the more I think about the ABS issue, the more I want it gone as a driver's aid in this series.

I'd like to kindly point out that we are no 20 (twenty) days past due on the original posting date, and 13 (thirteen) days past due on the revised release date.

Edited by Guest

I have a Haltech on my car. I would much rather have a stock ECU, frankly. I can not understand the thought process that would lead someone to think they must spend "$$$ for a custom EFI system." In my case, anyway, my car is never going back to stock because I don't have the time to screw with it let alone tune it.

As much as we'd like to control costs, I do think we should remember the AS issues and avoid them like the plague. Power to weight is a key component of the cost issues and the success of AI. I have no idea how to deal with "cheating the power curve" even with stock computers.

As much as a 13" rotor rule seems to make sense, you don't want guys having to "downgrade" factory brakes to participate and end up looking like AS with the 12" rule. It has to evolve. OTOH, the more I think about the ABS issue, the more I want it gone as a driver's aid in this series.

Bruce,

I really liked you until you suggested to take away my sacred ABS...

Just think, it won't be long before we have new drivers that have never driven a car without ABS. Since my 95 had ABS it could be happening already. Thats 15 years old afterall.

Just think, we have new drivers that have never driven a car without ABS.
That explains all the carnage on our local roads when ever it rains or snows.

BTW, My first car with ABS was a 1999.

I'd like to kindly point out that we are no 20 (twenty) days past due on the original posting date, and 13 (thirteen) days past due on the revised release date.

Moral of the story: Never commit to a date.

Just think, it won't be long before we have new drivers that have never driven a car without ABS. Since my 95 had ABS it could be happening already. Thats 15 years old afterall.

No wonder people can't drive anymore, too many driver aids.

How many of those cars still have the ABS working? The only vehicles I've ever owned with working ABS were tow vehicles.

Damn kids, why I oughta...

i dont understand... why make ABS illegal.. because some people dont want to spend the extra 500 bucks on a race car they already invested 20k+

the reason why i joined NASA was because i didnt want to run American Sedan.

technology changes.. thus throttle by ecu.. why make something illegal that comes factory?

its taking me about 30 mins to figure out exactly how i wanted to say this, but cheese and rice people! dont get stuck in the 90s!

technology changes.. thus throttle by ecu.. why make something illegal that comes factory?

Short answer, American Iron is for race cars, not stock cars.

good answer

so we don't want to use technology advances.. why would anyone want to run a s197 if we are trying to make it illegal.. dosn't make sence.. times change.. learn to adapt.

Now I think the last few posts give you guys an understanding how rules are difficult and that no matter what you do, almost 50% will be unhappy. Hell, even the directors are split on a lot of suggestions.

That is what Pat and I were trying to do by bringing the orange car back out and all we got was a lot of crying about it.We will see how bad it is when the new rules come out,but I am pretty sure what ever they change will effect us because we have already built the car to these rules.

Sounds so easy, until "technology" prices most of the field out of the game...

the typical responce to that would be run CMC if price is an issue..

how much more money would it cost to run an abs system? 500-1000 bucks? well i already have 15k into the car, whats another 1000 to give me that advantage.

my car is not set up for throttle by ecu, and it will probably never will be. but that dosn't mean i think it should be made illegal because i won't run it. how much better is it anyways?

That is what Pat and I were trying to do by bringing the orange car back out and all we got was a lot of crying about it.We will see how bad it is when the new rules come out,but I am pretty sure what ever they change will effect us because we have already built the car to these rules.

He's got the money to deal with it.

Jeff F, can you post a price on the FR500 ABS unit? I hear it's going to be legal in 2010 and beyond, and I'd like to research how to put it in my car.

Thanks.

as i recall dean martin has said that the fr500C abs module is tuned for sticky tires and would not be the correct choice for Toyo tires. The Shelby GT500 module is the correct one for AI.

He's got the money to deal with it.

Jeff F, can you post a price on the FR500 ABS unit? I hear it's going to be legal in 2010 and beyond, and I'd like to research how to put it in my car.

Thanks.

I'd also like to see the cost to install that system in an F body.