TTF for Nationals? Where are you? We need 1 more person!!!

CWeber

I would think all classes will be policed the same way (anyone can cheat after all).

I'm pretty sure they will randomly put people on scales and have a dyno there as well to check people.

We'll be going this weekend to MidO for the 1st time with the G20 to run a regional great lakes event so if we see any harry spots, can report back. I would think Missy could chime in about MidO since it is her home track though.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CWeber

• kbrew8991

• pasaunde

• neon982004

How are the lower classes usually policed at nationals? I assume there will be dyno checks plus......?

How's the run off room @ Mid-0hio, any sketchy corners with solid obsticals near by like Road Atlanta

Turn 1 is fast and 100% blind until just before apex and don't go off sideways unless you want to roll

There's a sand trap called China Beach to watch out for at the end of the back stretch

Going into the Tunder Valley area watch out for that sharp crest, the car will slide out big time going over it, and the fast left at the end of that mini-straight can eat cars.

Not nearly as bad as Road Atl though

- KB, NASA-SE from 2004-2008, NASA-TX 2009-present, Nationals 2006, 2007, 2009.

How are the lower classes usually policed at nationals? I assume there will be dyno checks plus......?

How's the run off room @ Mid-0hio, any sketchy corners with solid obsticals near by like Road Atlanta

All TT classes are policed the same way. All competitors are encouraged to look over the other cars in your class as a first line of defense, then there are random weighings and dyno tests, at 2 of the 3 Nationals I attended an official made a thorough inspection of my car against the classing sheet. It was nice getting free dyno runs back when my car had never seen a dyno before, but a little sad when I saw the pathetic number that showed up.

MidOhio has places where you can get in trouble but nothing that is really bad. Like Ken said, the closest you get to a wall in a scary position is the exit to Turn 9 as you enter thunder valley. Late apex the corner with your two inside tires in the dirt or at least on the curb and you won't have any problems there (it has to be scary in a high hp rear wheel drive car, but low power cars through there are easy). He was also right that you do not want to go off sideways at turn 1. I've seen a lot of cars roll there. If you can't make the corner, try to get straight. Its a really fun track, you should like it a lot.

We'll be going this weekend to MidO for the 1st time with the G20 to run a regional great lakes event so if we see any harry spots, can report back. I would think Missy could chime in about MidO since it is her home track though.

It will be interesting to see the times if their running the Pro course. That torquey 2.0 liter is going to be hard to beat, their not drag limited until you get deep into the 120's

Edited by Guest

^ with 53 cars registered at MidO for TT this coming weekend, it will be interesting to see if we ever get a clear lap too!

The 'vette's are fast in the straights but some of them tend to slow us momentum cars down taking turns slower

I'm not sure about being big on torque though.. Factory 'at the crank' ratings when the 2.0 was new are:

Horsepower 140 @ 6400 RPM

Torque 132 @ 4800 RPM

I don't consider 132 torque to be all that high but then again, I'm thinking of terms of my daily driver 2010 TDI Golf that has 140hp rating with 238 torque rating (yet it is a TTG** car) so maybe I need to race that car in TTF.. haha

I'm sure once you finish snaking your way thru all the vette's and GTR's there will be some clean track

And 132 ftlbs is alot to me (93 ftlbs), I've seen the G20 videos BTW, that car never stops pullin

I've got Road Atlanta and Roebling to try and figure out how to get another 5 mph just to keep you guys insite.

Lets see....extra wax, helium in tires, flux capacitor, more JDM stickers....etc.

I'm sure once you finish snaking your way thru all the vette's and GTR's there will be some clean track

And 132 ftlbs is alot to me (93 ftlbs), I've seen the G20 videos BTW, that car never stops pullin

I've got Road Atlanta and Roebling to try and figure out how to get another 5 mph just to keep you guys insite.

Lets see....extra wax, helium in tires, flux capacitor, more JDM stickers....etc.

but what is your power to weight ratio? Even my 2010 TDI golf is a heavy 3000lb pig despite the hp and torque rating!

Our spec miata is only 96 torque according to the dyno sheet with 109hp but at 2285 weight is still faster than the g20 at most tracks!

Our g20 meanwhile is a pretty heavy pig at 2740lbs right now (might end up being even heavier if we opt for other mods by the time Nationals hits!)

Although I do love the people who ask if we have a turbo or supercharger in there and we just smile and say NOPE, naturally aspirated!!!!

but what is your power to weight ratio? Even my 2010 TDI golf is a heavy 3000lb pig despite the hp and torque rating!

Below the limit

The good TDI cup cars (170Hp/258 ftlbs) are running about 1:40 flat at Road Atlanta, current TTC record is 1:39 ish, And I wont even get started on the LMP1 TDI cars

Although I do love the people who ask if we have a turbo or supercharger in there and we just smile and say NOPE, naturally aspirated!!!!

So true, the faster the car the better. I had a new C6 owner apologize for not being able to keep up earlier this year, thought the guy was trying to be funny at first.....lol.

LOL because everything is out on the charts on the TT website yet people make it seem like such a secret what their power to weight ratio is along with whatever mods.. I just don't see the big secret... either you can drive or you can't.. if you have a legal car for the class, the rest is up to the driver IMHO.

..not to mention people's class weight is listed right on the sticker on the windshield which everyone can check out for themselves at the track

I actually hope we get the g20 dynoed before nationals because I seriously doubt our tired old motor is putting anywhere near the factory rated 140 output now so maybe we can loose more weight if we find out we are underpowered as well.. hehe

so anyway, see ya at the track!

PS: We have lost count how many times the foot is the floor with nothing left in power especially at Road America (much like the spec miata)... any TTF car experiences the same thing I would think (otherwise I might question how it is still a TTF car

PS: We have lost count how many times the foot is the floor with nothing left in power especially at Road America (much like the spec miata)

In any case, I see at least 8 track records that lead me to believe you guys will be rollin hard a NATs.

Hey, with all those records you should start putting kill stickers on the car, like the WWII fighter pilots

Stoked about NATs, looking forward to finally running in a class with more than 2 cars...lol

We did indeed want to go to NATs for 2 years already (couldn't afford going to Utah with both of out of work laid off though) so this will be our chance now that we both have paying jobs again.

The driver DOES have something to do with all though.. after all, my hubby drove my Miata in PTE this past weekend and set a new PTE record for Autobahn South with a 1:46.036 (prior PTE record was 1:48.328 in a Neon). Autobahn South is our home track so we know it rather well though! Meanwhile, I couldn't do better than a 1:46.966 in the same car, same day doing an SM race... humbled by my hubby being a better driver despite my having more years of track experience.. grrr

Oh, I TTed the G20 back in 2008 and got the Autobahn Full track record with it back then without even realizing it until about a year later... go figure

http://www.nasamidwest.com/driverprofiles/driverprofile.asp?id=12686

I was hoping to round off to 10 TTF regional records with the G20 this year (seemed like a nice goal)... so gunning for Road America and Mid Ohio (but we've driven the G20 at Road America before and gotten better lap times than the current TTF record so that is more the realistic goal at the end of the midwest/greatlakes season finale after Nationals -- aka, have not yet even driven at MidO) Right now one of the records is TTE and I'm pretty sure that will get blown away next time there is a TTE car at Gingerman just like the former G20 TTE record at Autobahn South got quickly lost as well once an E30 ran TTE there a year later!

I'm hoping PTF makes it this year for next year in case we decide to turn the g20 into a full w2w PTF car instead of sell it at the end of the season

...but the more track records, the better the resume to sell the car as well

I was hoping to round off to 10 TTF regional records with the G20 this year (seemed like a nice goal)...

Looks like you got number 9

1:48:2 looks strong.... waiting on the vid...lol

thanks... Mike will hopefully have the video soon....

now we have to fix the broke car 1st --- it wouldn't go into or out of gear after the 3rd session on Sunday so we were lucky to get it onto the trailer and home!!!! ....hopefully it isn't the whole trans that is kaput and is just something simple like a clutch cable....

^ I've obviously done too much w2w because I already told him I would have just hit him not expecting him to slow down that much for the turn ---- but I think that is frowned upon in TT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so last weekend with NASA at MidO before Nationals is this weekend!

and time is running out to get a 5th TTF person... anyone going to jump in before Sept 1st or not?

I don't have a taker for someone to "rent" my TTF/PTF car for Nationals and I can't make it myself. Fingers crossed for you, and see you all in 2012

• 5 weeks later...

Just got back from Nationals last night and had a great time even though the motor blew on Saturday morning .

Congrats to Mark for taking 1st and push the record down to the low 1:46:3s, that 4 Door was moving! Thanks the Mark and Melissa for helping me with my lettering and safety equipment to avoid the dredded DQs. I thought everyone was very friendly and couldn't have asked for classier competitors.

Thanks again

Patrick

Thanks..

Mike (my husband) ended up with a 1:46.345 as the fastest time. Before that he got 1:47s last month at MidO at the Great Lakes event. What a difference brand new Hoosier's make!! Before Nationals, we had always used 'hand-me-down' hoosiers so going brand new like this was a new experience and really does make a difference.