Pie in the sky rule change requests - 2012

jason

Here is my suggestion as to what I think is the simplest 'good' way to determine effective horsepower. I did not say it was simple, just the simplest one that would work well.

1) RPM_band = Rev_Limit*0.75

Define an RPM band that is proportional in width to how many rpms an engine drops on a downshift. The width of this band is proportional to the rev limit of the car, and also the difference in gear ratio between gears. Picking a constant, such as 0.75 or some other number prevents it from having to be looked up for each car, different gears, etc.

2) Calculate the average horsepower within this rpm band, with the band located to result in the highest possible average for the particular dyno hp curve (shifted all the way right to the redline for 95% of cars).

Is this method a little bit tedious?...Yes. It's certainly not as simple as plucking the peak tq and hp off of a plot. It is, however, actually an accurate way to do what we're trying to accomplish. That said, I doubt something like this would be adopted. It's not exactly complicated, but probably too tedious for what we are looking for. That said, (tq+hp)/2 is not an accurate way to do it, so I vote that either the rules stay as they are, or we do it right.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Varkwso

• TurboShortBus

• drivinhardz06

If you guy make the hp:wt calculations as complicated as the SCCA rules, you are going to drive people away. The current hp:wt rule works, why mess with it???

The only thing I ask is to have an AWD dyno in operation if a Two Wheel Drive dyno is in operation at an event. THAT is not fair.

If you guy make the hp:wt calculations as complicated as the SCCA rules, you are going to drive people away. The current hp:wt rule works, why mess with it???

The only thing I ask is to have an AWD dyno in operation if a Two Wheel Drive dyno is in operation at an event. THAT is not fair.

EXACTLY!

...I even agree with you about not going too overboard with a fancy formula. But automatically using a peak torque number is too simplistic however.
Just like using a peak wheel horsepower number is too simplistic . For the same power rating would you rather have a peaky engine like in an S2000 or one with a "meatier" powerband like the ones in BMW, Corvette or Mustang?

Until we see the secret sauce formulae that are used in the base and re-class rating of cars, it's not that easy to speculate on how to work towards greater equity.

Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races. You have to take torque into account when classing cars not just HP. You guys in the higher classes with big V8s and monster turbo cars aren't as effected by it as the lower class cars. My NA rotary can make the same HP but will never make the same torque let alone the flat torque curve of a FI Miata in TT/PTD.

Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races. You have to take torque into account when classing cars not just HP. You guys in the higher classes with big V8s and monster turbo cars aren't as effected by it as the lower class cars. My NA rotary can make the same HP but will never make the same torque let alone the flat torque curve of a FI Miata in TT/PTD.

We have the same issues in the bigger V8s in the same platform (ie Corvettes). An LS1 makes more torque than horsepower, yet an LS6 usually makes equal horsepower and torque or the opposite. The guy running the LS1 gets to weigh less due to less horsepower AND have more torque. But you know what??? Those are the rules and we always have the freedom of changing cars.

-Kevin

I wasn't complaining. Just giving an example as to why torque should be part of the classification procedure

Wheel torque could be part of the discussion, not engine torque. Torque at the engine does not tell you how fast a car will accelerate because every car has different gear ratios! Torque is not conserved across a gearbox, hp is. This means that high engine speed with little torque at the engine can be CONVERTED to normal output speed with HIGH torque!

For example, a rotary engine makes no torque, but revs to the moon. Since it revs so high, it will have larger gear reductions than cars that don't rev as high.

Since torque is NOT conserved across a gearbox, engine torque CANNOT be used to determine acceleration rates WHEN COMPARING DIFFERENT CARS with different gearboxes. Horsepower is what you need to use. Now, when people talk about a 'flat torque curve' or 'more torque down low', that is an important aspect to how fast a car can accelerate. However, You can't measure it using the shape of the torque curve for the reasons above, you have to measure it using the shape of the hp curve, aka the 'average' hp available to the driver.

For example, a rotary engine makes no torque, but revs to the moon. Since it revs so high, it will have larger gear reductions than cars that don't rev as high.

I wonder if I could get a reclass on my engine swap?

12rotor2.jpg

That looks like alot of apex seals that will fail.

Sound like a runaway herd of weedwackers...

It's like a million corner workers screaming in pain...

How does one reclass a rotary that has 700whp and 7wtq?

well lets average the torque and horsepower... so 353.5

(what's good for the goose is good for the gander - or we can actually look at the power curve and do what makes sense instead)