Pie in the sky rule change requests - 2012

jason

• Members
Quite a few play in S and U. Where points are not.the issue. Sadly most of the A cars/drivers are faster then my S car.

Naw, you just gotta figure out how to make your "S"-car-go.

- KB, ban Corvettes too!

Dont hate the car, hate the............ whiny drivers......

Edited by Guest

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Varkwso

• TurboShortBus

• drivinhardz06

• Members
As the thread spirals back into uselessness...

Mark

Back into you say?? You are mistaken in thinking that any of these 66 pages were anything but.

What specific cars would do this?

'97-'11 Corvette. Fiberglass tubs.

Most of the time where I've seen foot protection added to a 6 point, what I've seen called a 6+2, the foot protection goes to the firewall. Any time I've seen the bar go through the firewall has been to tie into the suspension pickup points, that is an 8 point cage.

Which is why I said "no allowance for connecting to suspension pick up points". You can't attach a bar to fiberglass.

Had to spend some time looking around to find examples of pictures of a corvette with a non-pro/non-FIA homologated cage and could not find anything that had foot bars. I did however find a really cool thread with detailed pictures showing what a Z06 ALMS car looks like, and plenty of bare frame pictures..

I guess part of me says, hey, improved safety is always a good thing. However, I couldn't see how you would run a bar through the firewall in a corvette and not have the "foot protection" setup not also had some amount of chassis rigidity. In fact, it looks like in a Z06 if you did a dash bar between the huge bases that the A pillars mount down to, that you would have a lot better foot protection that what you could get in a standard full metal chassis car. The only other way I could see to do it in the few pictures I saw was to run something to the frame rails just below the suspension pickup points, which I think should be assessed points just as if you were running extra bars to the frame in the rear of the car.

I guess my other question is, in the few cars I saw pictures of, there was a metal firewall. Are there some corvettes that don't have a metal firewall at all? I can't see how having a fiberglass firewall is a good/safe idea, but I don't know Corvettes as well as you probably do. Is the fiberglass for the body layed on top of the metal firewall?

I could also see how other composite cars fall into this category, but I have to wonder if those composite cars are already so much stiffer than the other cars, or already provide huge amounts of foot protection because of how the car is designed.

For reference, the Z06 car noted above did not have foot protection bars in the traditional sense.

I did however find a really cool thread with detailed pictures showing what a Z06 ALMS car looks like, and plenty of bare frame pictures.

Post or email a link or it didn't happen!

Mark

A6 is ~2 secs lap quicker than R6 at Road Atlanta in cooler temps, on a C5 corvette. That gap shrinks some as temp increases.

Interesting to know. Were those the same width A6 and R6?

actually 295 R6, 275 A6. Same wheel width (10.5). I have ran 275 As vs 295 A's on the same track/same day and times are virtually identical.

I think tire differences (speed) get bigger with higher hp cars, as they are dealing with braking forces, cornering forces, AND exit grip, where lower hp cars are just dealing with braking forces and cornering forces. Ie, low grip tires kill exit speed and momentum on higher hp cars and if you can get a tire to hook up really good from the center of the corner off and you are flat the whole way, the lap times just plummet. If a lower hp car isn't really having an issue with wheelspin with a street or lower grip R comp tire, it's not going to see as much gain with a stickier tire. Ie, your'e making gains with 2 elements and not 3. Just my .02.

if you don't think my puny 155 whp fwd car isn't dealing with exit grip, then you are crazy

I guess my other question is, in the few cars I saw pictures of, there was a metal firewall. Are there some corvettes that don't have a metal firewall at all? I can't see how having a fiberglass firewall is a good/safe idea, but I don't know Corvettes as well as you probably do. Is the fiberglass for the body layed on top of the metal firewall?

Our Corvettes are a fiberglass tub with no metal firewall, you can hack through the firewall with an ice pick. The chassis is already so stiff, attaching the forward bars to the frame in front of the firewall will add zero rigidity but improve safety. Not to mention it is SCCA legal. Building our cages to only NASA standards limits what we can do with the cars and our resale audience.

-Kevin

if you don't think my puny 155 whp fwd car isn't dealing with exit grip, then you are crazy

open diff? I cut my teeth on old V6 Taurus SHO's which were the king of 1 wheel peels with any steering input off corner. A quaife torque biasing diff was the best mod I ever did on that car. I got it up to 250 FWHP before I got rid of it and it was awesome off the corners. It went through front tires at an alarming rate. I expected my tire costs to sky rocket when I got the Z06, but the things last 15x as long as they did on the SHO

I'm glad you clarified that,I was confused for a minute.I thought you were running your car on jackstands again and making voom voom noises.

Robert

wow.. can't believe this has gone to page 67

so what now? a FWD vs. RWD bashing the newest thing?

I just don't have the energy to go back many pages to read all this stuff

I've been busy at SEMA this week..

I pushed for this a year ago and trying it again for 2012. I reckon I am still the only bloke in NASA (nationwide possibly) to compete in NASATT with a Steptronic. Medical condition.

Statement:

Not all automatic transmissions are built the same.

Examples:

1. Full auto (torque converter, PRND43 type.)

2. Tiptronic/Steptronic auto (torque converter, PRND +/- type.)

3. Automated clutch (manual transmission with automated clutch. E46 M3 SMG 2, E60 M5 SMG 3 type, yes Smart car.)

4. Dual Clutch (some cases manual transmission with TWO automated clutches. E9X M3, Nissan GTR type.)

5. Sequential Xtrac/Hewland F1/WRC/WTCC type (pple with loads of $$$. DTM, WRC, WTCC, F1 cars.)

I think cars equipped with either 1 or 2 should NOT be subjected to taking points for D2.

"D2) Upgrade number of forward gears in transmission or altered gear ratios +3"

Reasons:

A1. Full auto and Tiptronic/Steptronic transmissions are not motorsport inspired transmissions. They still rely on torque converters.

A2. Automated clutch and dual clutch transmissions are motorsport inspired transmissions.

A3. Transmissions with torque converters are subjected to performance losses. Manufacturers installed different gear ratios for these transmissions so that we can keep up with similar cars equipped with manual transmissions!

A4. Manufacturers have shown that cars equipped with 3, 4, 5 have better performance numbers over manual transmissions and full automatic/tiptronic type of transmission.

In Summary:

Those competing with cars equipped with Full auto or Tiptronic/Steptronic auto should not take +2 points under D2.

Thank you for reading.

Was your particular vehicle, in its base trim, available with a normal automatic transmission [1. Full auto (torque converter, PRND43 type.)], with the step/tiptronic type [2. Tiptronic/Steptronic auto (torque converter, PRND +/- type.)] as an option?

Mark