TTB - Car choice - C5 vs. Evo

Bnjmn

i always do the weird/different stuff

Insurance (at least mine) calls it a 4 door. Truth be told it is kinda half/half. Sorta like Allen on the TV show 2 1/2 Men.

Yes I have a air/water intercooler and I have water injection which actually does a better job than the intercooler. Intake charge temps (post blower) in bat out of hell mode are around 125F

This is AFTER my maf.

Rotary engines cannot tolerate detonation at all. It is not tuned for water injection--it is only there for protection. Running two nozzles one before the s.c. and one post. Total flow is 175 cc.

Its driven by the maf voltage so the flow is varable.

I do have engine temps below 200F on track.

It is a street driven car.

I est around 310-320 hp, but i will have only around 200 of tq--"whimper" so it will not be the power car on the straights. But, watch out for me in the braking zones and corners!

I think it will be a car that can hang in the middle or upper 1/3nd of the pack, but with ME driving--if my bifocals stay on straight--I will probably be a little futher back, with a big ass smile on my face.

OD

Lol, I don't believe a single word of it. You know how to wheel a car.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Varkwso

• drivinhardz06

• Eric W.

• sperkins

Even if you are in TTB w/the lb/hp - you have +6pts for the water injection and +7pts for the non-oem intercooler. So you may already be in TTA if you start out in TTB* or **. And then any other upgrades. I assume intake is non-OEM too, so +1 for that. Injectors upgraded? +2. Header? +2. Exhaust? +2. No cats? +1. So, up to 21. Stock ECU? if non-OEM or piggyback, +10.

And then the suspension - +2 for springs, +3 for shocks, +2 for sways, +10 for tires (mod'd by your new base class tire size). up to >39. TTU time.

I'm prob wrong on the above, but I'd be interested to see how the rules get molded for such a situation. The rules appear to be engineered to punish high $$ mods and engine mods (like a cam swap), so it would seem like the above would apply.

4 doors is a bit of a strech as well, but only an issue for the SUR classes.

i can see you thought a good bit about this.

But please the rules a little more carefully?

Its my understanding that once the director has reclassified your base class using the cars dyno and competitive weight etc---then no more points are to be given from the engine category.

If you think about it--that makes sense.

olddragger

Yes, I see that and I agree that it makes sense. My point was more that it seems like you will get a volume discount on points when you are doing an upgrade like that.

Good luck!

dont forget also that my base class before the engine mods was TTD?

Point is also --you cant add FI to a non FI engine without all the stuff you mentioned. I can see were you are coming from though.

Sorry for the thread jack here guys. Moving on.

OD

Bnjmn - once you're reclassed through Greg that already takes into account any weight and any power mod points you're taking. Its already assessed in the new class he hands back to you.

You can take the points twice if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it

• 1 month later...
[

I think that TTA record is ripe for a pickin... time for you SE boys to come on up

done

went as fast as I could in the 103F heat. car felt like a lame dog driving on ball bearings

got held up by a miata on my best lap (the perks of instructing and TT'ing getting to start at the back). there's another 3/4 sec and probably 3 more just in good fall air

• Members
[

I think that TTA record is ripe for a pickin... time for you SE boys to come on up

done

went as fast as I could in the 103F heat. car felt like a lame dog driving on ball bearings

got held up by a miata on my best lap (the perks of instructing and TT'ing getting to start at the back). there's another 3/4 sec and probably 3 more just in good fall air

Sweet, glad you came up Since this thread is talking about Evos... I nearly got beat by an Evo this past weekend. By 0.03 seconds. I wish I was running video, that sucker was flying down the straights. If I didnt know VIR so well, Im not sure I would have had much for him.

Sweet, glad you came up Since this thread is talking about Evos... I nearly got beat by an Evo this past weekend. By 0.03 seconds. I wish I was running video, that sucker was flying down the straights. If I didnt know VIR so well, Im not sure I would have had much for him.

And it was Nathan's(Evo IX) first time at VIR. Nice guy.

[

done

Eric - wish I had a chance to meet ya but I was headed out asap for the drive! You were hugged to my bumper on a lap all the way through the esses for sure! It's a lot of fun driving that section while watching your rear-view! Hope ya got around me in a good spot with the point-by and all.

Yep, that was me. Once again, on my very last lap of the session - and I checked my vid; I had to pass 3 cars on that lap! One after 5a, one on the back straight and one near start/finish - the last 2 probably didn't affect me but .03.... c'mon!

Helli-fun track...

• Members

Eric - wish I had a chance to meet ya but I was headed out asap for the drive! You were hugged to my bumper on a lap all the way through the esses for sure! It's a lot of fun driving that section while watching your rear-view! Hope ya got around me in a good spot with the point-by and all.

Helli-fun track...

Hey Nathan, same here. It was WAY hot which made it extra hard to socialize

I hope I didnt get TOO close to you. Thanks for the point by!

Helli-fun track...

Hey Nathan, same here. It was WAY hot which made it extra hard to socialize

I hope I didnt get TOO close to you. Thanks for the point by!

Not at all - I love it close (and safe).

As long as the other driver is competent - and you certainly qualify - I love nose-to-tail action for a few laps. Not the whole session; but it's fun with similar cars.

There's plenty of cars I want to have nothing to do with though!

....- I love nose-to-tail action for a few laps. Not the whole session; but it's fun with similar cars.

There's plenty of cars I want to have nothing to do with though!

Making sure you are not breaking the drafting rule of course...

I agree with unknown drivers being a factor I take seriously.

I'd be willing to give a tow to jason or scott in Aug, but I don't think they'd be able to stay close enough to matter with all my new cheater parts

I'd be willing to give a tow to jason or scott in Aug, but I don't think they'd be able to stay close enough to matter with all my new cheater parts

We'll see if I can bump-draft Scott past you through 9.

We'll see if I can bump-draft Scott past you through 9.

Maybe now I can get within 1 or 2 mph of your 153.5 mph speed trap #'s with all the new hardware

did you retire the other 8 wore out valve springs? 156 mph this go around

• 1 month later...
  • Members
so whats the current TTB record @ VIR FULL????

2:08.320

Go for it Rene! Unfortunately I wont be able to better that time since my motor expired

But I MAY try to top the TTC record in my car's new configuration....

• 11 months later...

base model C5 F.T.W!!

I am currently considering a C5 'Vette or a '05 Evo for TTB. I am looking for feedback from anyone that has prepped/driven either, as well as feedback in general. I have read the rules a bit and both are obviously competitive, just looking for things to push me one way or the other. A well used version of each looks to be around $11k. Both have lots of aftermarket support, though the C5 seems to have more higher quality parts (less ricer/show stuff masquerading as track gear). C5 seems to be able to upgrade competitively to TTA without spending as much. Any idea of costs of running each? Anything else (incl other cars) I should be thinking about?

Thanks.

base model C5 F.T.W!!

I am currently considering a C5 'Vette or a '05 Evo for TTB. I am looking for feedback from anyone that has prepped/driven either, as well as feedback in general. I have read the rules a bit and both are obviously competitive, just looking for things to push me one way or the other. A well used version of each looks to be around $11k. Both have lots of aftermarket support, though the C5 seems to have more higher quality parts (less ricer/show stuff masquerading as track gear). C5 seems to be able to upgrade competitively to TTA without spending as much. Any idea of costs of running each? Anything else (incl other cars) I should be thinking about?

Thanks.

base model C5 F.T.W!!

Thanks.

Called it..