Pie in the sky rule change requests - 2012

jason

On a different topic.

I think that points should only be awarded to the fastest lap and those who are within 5 to 7 seconds of that time. It would keep those who can do every event, but can not run with the pack, from winning regional championships.

I think this is bad business. Every driver out there wants 6 slower cars in class so no points no time. Also season championships are about running all season and providing their money or expertise to the organization. It is an attendance test to some degree but we do drop 5 this year. A loyal attender can win in some classes but in others it is a year long battle. And it brings participation - the joy of any director.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Varkwso

• TurboShortBus

• drivinhardz06

I actually wish there were so many TTers that the regional events would be run like Nationals where the TTA, TTR and TTU cars have their own class and the TTB through TTF run in another group... lets people have more room and the momentum cars aren't slowed down in corners as much by some of the big HP cars who drag race corner to corner

black TTR mustang (cough cough):

Some of the guys in our PTE or TTE Mid-Atlantic group do not fall under the 2:25:5 threshold but I wouldn't want to go to the track without any of them.

And none of these participants in any class I've got anything to do with are unsafe or bad drivers by any means - they all had to complete the same steps to get there and they worked just as hard for their entry fee as everyone else did. They may be generally cautious, or running an unfamilar setup, or recovering from a broken ankle, or on old tires, or whatever. There are a million reasons why any given person doesn't drive flat out all the time, and I don't think they should ever be penalized for it, unless it's something utterly ridiculous (i.e. to the point that flaggers call 'em in for being "off pace" as if they were limping the car back to the pits.) The ONLY exclusions should be for unsafe drivers, as they have always been. I am much more concerned about the front-runner who dive-bombs people into corners and thinks it is fine to go off track three times a day than I am about the guy who is 7 seconds behind his class leaders but stays entirely off my radar.

It will be this way as long as we've got such a varied field (not just type of car but also level of prep and driver skill.) Someone fresh off a few weekends in HPDE3 who passes a TT check ride is nowhere near done learning how to go fast, and many of 'em come to TT for that specific reason - because it is a great way to get clean laps and improve one's skills while being involved in timed competition. As long as they can do so safely and at a reasonable pace, they're welcome as far as I'm concerned...

Kim,

You should not have any hesitation about winning the Championship. Although I believe Morris and Scott may make a run at it. If the championship isn't high enough on someone's list that they cannot attend the necessary minimum events to do so, then so be it. The spoils go to the best in the end.

-Kevin

I think this is bad business. Every driver out there wants 6 slower cars in class so no points no time.

And can you have them pit at the green flag too so I can have clear track? Kthnx.

K

I think this is bad business. Every driver out there wants 6 slower cars in class so no points no time.

And can you have them pit at the green flag too so I can have clear track? Kthnx.

I will make sure they go over the timing loop first.pp

Kim,

You should not have any hesitation about winning the Championship. Although I believe Morris and Scott may make a run at it. If the championship isn't high enough on someone's list that they cannot attend the necessary minimum events to do so, then so be it. The spoils go to the best in the end.

-Kevin

Scott and Morris are making a run for it...

Kim brought up a good idea and wants what is best for the program.

You do not see me turning it down. I hope that Morris and Scott do make a run for it. Personally I will take whatever bragging rights I can get, I do not get them very often.

You do not see me turning it down. I hope that Morris and Scott do make a run for it. Personally I will take whatever bragging rights I can get, I do not get them very often.

You have Patches. Everything else is gravy. You beat Scott once already.

Yes, Kim makes a good point. Another way of addressing his point would be to weight the points awarded for winning and placing by the number of cars in the field. For example, if you have 7 or more cars in the field, 1st gets 100 points. In a 5 car field, the winner gets 90 points, and in a 1 car field the winner gets 70 points. I am not suggesting this is the proper weighting, just examples. So, people are still rewarded for being loyal and showing up at events, but are rewarded more for doing well in bigger fields. I have run with one organization that does this, and it worked quite well.

Kevin is right, Scott and Morris are making a run for it. Well, I am not sure about Morris anymore as the car is down and is not likely to be ready for CMP.

quote="Varkwso"]

Kim,

-Kevin

Scott and Morris are making a run for it...

Kim brought up a good idea and wants what is best for the program.

I actually wish there were so many TTers that the regional events would be run like Nationals where the TTA, TTR and TTU cars have their own class and the TTB through TTF run in another group... lets people have more room and the momentum cars aren't slowed down in corners as much by some of the big HP cars who drag race corner to corner

That seemed to be a pretty good example of a driver that stands on the gas down the straights but throws out the anchor (for too long) in the corners. What did the Mustang driver have to say when you mentioned the situation to him/her in the download meeting after that session?

I am excited that we are already 25% of the way to catching the hardtop thread. MOAR POSTS!

Mark

Just goes to show, that no matter what class you're in, sooner or later a Mustang is going to f up your lap and/or race. So we're back to:

Ban Mustangs.

Just goes to show, that no matter what class you're in, sooner or later a Mustang is going to f up your lap and/or race. So we're back to:

Ban Mustangs.

I wish they would ban them in HPDE1. I'd like to ride in a modern car with ABS at some point.

That is already the case. What on earth are you talking about? Points cars have dyno limits and dyno reclass cars have dyno limits.

My car is a points car and I got DQ'd once for being LESS than ONE HP over my limit (the track dyno read 10 hp over my home dyno).

First, they're not the same limits, not even remotely. My guess is that you've never gotten a reclass otherwise you would understand a little better. Instead of trying to argue whether a car is misclassed or not-- put it on a dyno, put it on scales and that's your class. TTS and TTU seem to function fine that way, it just becomes a question of integrating aero, driveline, chassis, and suspension modifications rather than the open mods of the SUR classes.

Second, you would have been DQ'd for 5 lbs under your weight too and the scales are all over the place, that's just how it is. What exactly are you trying to say?

Edited by Guest

Instead of trying to argue whether a car is misclassed or not-- put it on a dyno, put it on scales and that's your class. TTS and TTU seem to function fine that way, it just becomes a question of integrating aero, driveline, chassis, and suspension modifications rather than the open mods of the SUR classes.

It can't work that way. If that were the case, I could build a torque monster engine using all the best high dollar parts and just cap the horsepower wherever it needs to be to make the pwr/wt ratio. There's a reason why a cam swap is 6 points and so on.

By the same token you can't expect to add aero, trick shocks and springs, big brakes etc. and expect to make the class allowable pwr/wt ratio with a dyno re-class.

Ask Justin.

there's a very good reason I don't race in TTS/ST2 and/or similar classes - those open rulesets are way too effing expensive. Really, you want to open up EVERYTHING so long as you're within the hp/weight caps? Screw that. Tear up my NASA membership if that happens and I'll go play golf or something because there's no way I'll be able to run up front ever again.

Nevermind that you seem to be one of the rare cases that comes out slower after a hp/weight reclass anyway...

....Well, I am not sure about Morris anymore as the car is down and is not likely to be ready for CMP. ...

A big part about a season champ is having a car for the season. Two cars help.

That is already the case. What on earth are you talking about? Points cars have dyno limits and dyno reclass cars have dyno limits.

My car is a points car and I got DQ'd once for being LESS than ONE HP over my limit (the track dyno read 10 hp over my home dyno).

First, they're not the same limits, not even remotely. My guess is that you've never gotten a reclass otherwise you would understand a little better. Instead of trying to argue whether a car is misclassed or not-- put it on a dyno, put it on scales and that's your class. TTS and TTU seem to function fine that way, it just becomes a question of integrating aero, driveline, chassis, and suspension modifications rather than the open mods of the SUR classes.

Second, you would have been DQ'd for 5 lbs over your weight too and the scales are all over the place, that's just how it is. What exactly are you trying to say?

DQ for over min wt? I don't.think so.

Ban Mustangs.

And Miatas.

For those of you who don't like your car's TT_** base class because it doesn't leave you enough points to stay in your particular base class with minimal modifications, note that you can always add weight and/or reduce power, then submit your dyno results and the minimum competition weight for a base re-class. Problem solved, and no rules changes needed.

Mark

1. Subframe mods for FWD cars should be "legal"

2. The magic swap relcass needs to be public. I have some concerns that certain aspects of a chassis arent taken into account...

3. all reclasses are too far away from the minimum power:weight for the indicated desired class.

that being said, HP always wins if the straights are long enough... so #3 is fairly important