Pie in the sky rule change requests - 2012

jason

NASA is does a East (Mid-Ohio) and West (Miller) thing with Nationals why not have it traveling every year between North, South, East, West?

North - Road America

South - Road Atlanta

East - VIR

West - Laguna Seca

This way every 4 years people have more of a "home track" instead of sticking with the same 2 tracks for Nationals (was Miller really on a lot of peoples bucket list?)

All of the above tracks are "bucket list" tracks - I'm not sure how this would effect the turnout for Nationals but I would bet that people would hit at least two of them up in 4 years. Say your "home" track and one that you've had your eye on for a while.

Your 4 - North South East West - tracks may vary but it's an idea.

Hey pie in the sky right?

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Varkwso

• TurboShortBus

• drivinhardz06

NASA is does a East (Mid-Ohio) and West (Miller) thing with Nationals why not have it traveling every year between North, South, East, West?

I'd rather tow to Laguna than miller. What's 1 more day coming and going? It's not like I can't find the time to Laguna but can find the time to do Miller. Either way it's a pretty big personal event, another day or 2 is moot. Same for Road America (bucketlist track) vs Mid Ohio.

VIR would be a fantastic nationals track/facility.

North - Road America

South - Road Atlanta

East - VIR

West - Laguna Seca

This way every 4 years people have more of a "home track" instead of sticking with the same 2 tracks for Nationals (was Miller really on a lot of peoples bucket list?)

All of the above tracks are "bucket list" tracks - I'm not sure how this would effect the turnout for Nationals but I would bet that people would hit at least two of them up in 4 years. Say your "home" track and one that you've had your eye on for a while.

Would suggest Sebring over Road Atlanta as it is 3.7 miles long so crowding would be less an issue than road Atlanta. Yes for those of you who want to be scared running Bishops Bend in a fasst car should get your adrenalin flowing and turn 1 has bitten a lot of cars badly.

Peter

P

North - Road America

South - Road Atlanta

East - VIR

West - Laguna Seca

Would suggest Sebring over Road Atlanta as it is 3.7 miles long so crowding would be less an issue than road Atlanta. Yes for those of you who want to be scared running Bishops Bend in a fasst car should get your adrenalin flowing and turn 1 has bitten a lot of cars badly.

Peter

Sebring is not close to anyone except gators. It is a fun track but really, really flat. It is 10 hours for me and I live in Georgia.

North - Road America

South - Road Atlanta

East - VIR

West - Laguna Seca

that does make sense BUT the Leguna Seca vs. VIR might end up being too extreme and singling out a lot of people... Look how many people did NOT go to Miller as it is from the East and even Midwest. I think MidOhio gets a much better turnout than Miller due to location (but I could be wrong of course).

I wouldn't mind going to VIR for NATs but what about someone from California?

I also wouldn't mind checking out Road Atlanta once for NATs and that seems to be more smack in the middle of the country than anything else with appeal.... Makes me wonder if that would ever become a possibility!?

of course, still pie in the sky.. lol

All I know is once NATs goes back to Miller (if it does), we won't be going..... just too far a haul for us...

Miller and Mid-O are only ~200mi difference from Houston - still 2 days towing one way blech. With another day tow for all the east coast, midwest, etc to go PAST Miller to a "better" track, you'll lose just about all of those people I bet as it's already far enough that you get a decent amt of "eh that's too far". Miller hits the spot of "great facility, on the west side but not overly so, and a pretty good track". Most of the people that say the track sucks haven't driven it... fwiw.

I'd be ok with RoadAtl tow wise, but it's going to have some carnage with people trying to do 11/10ths for a Nat Championship and messing up in the wrong spot (which is 95% of the whole track really). It is VERY far east for most of the CA people. If VIR is too far but RAtl isn't, you're on crack its not much difference.

If you want geographic center of the country you need to look at what's in Kansas. Nothing that great though afaik. So that's out...

Bring on Nats in Austin already or the old Indy F1 layout - I'd be down for that as well.

I'd be ok with RoadAtl tow wise, but it's going to have some carnage with people trying to do 11/10ths for a Nat Championship and messing up in the wrong spot (which is 95% of the whole track really). It is VERY far east for most of the CA people.

how is RA any farther east than MO? (ignore the oil platform track in the gulf, lol)

usMap550px.gif

North - Road America

South - Road Atlanta

East - VIR

West - Laguna Seca

Something like this makes perfect sense. And nothing says we can't change this up over the years and add Ken's Austin track in some time. Or Indy. Or anywhere else like the Glen or Sebring. But the National Championship should be on premier tracks. Not CMP, not Heartland-Park Topeka, not Putnam, etc...

Map fale - thinking intuitively that Ohio was farther west than it really is. Anywho what really matters is driving distances anyway

Distances from LA to:

Mid O - 2,310

RAtl - 2,224

San Fran to:

Mid O - 2,435

RAtl - 2,524

NYC to:

Mid O - 506

Ratl - 832

Dallas to:

Mid O - 1,101

RAtl - 831

But with Mid O being alot more forgiving a track, in most cases a toss up or barely any farther, being right in the middle of 2 strong NASA regions instead of 1... tough to sell Road Atlanta as better when thinking "what's best for EVERYONE" and not the Corvette Mafia that lives 4 miles from the track

and despite all your hate for the autocross part, Mid Ohio IS a premier level track. It's just not your personal favorite, tough cookies.

But with Mid O being alot more forgiving a track, in most cases a toss up or barely any farther, being right in the middle of 2 strong NASA regions instead of 1... tough to sell Road Atlanta as better when thinking "what's best for EVERYONE" and not the Corvette Mafia that lives 4 miles from the track

and despite all your hate for the autocross part, Mid Ohio IS a premier level track. It's just not your personal favorite, tough cookies.

WTF? We're the ones saying we'd pull to Laguna! And I'm an autocrosser, I'm fast at Mid-O. But I enjoy VIR and Rd Atl more becaue they are a challenge.

Wasn't a pick straight at you guys saying you wouldn't tow, but more that you guys are all a little crazy and will do anything. And was also more dissecting what was good and bad about MO vs RAtl

Anywho, You do know about Laguna's sound policies, right?

Hell throw Barber in the mix if you want a tighter track. Definitely world class facilities and more centralized than any track mentioned so far.

Hell throw Barber in the mix if you want a tighter track. Definitely world class facilities and more centralized than any track mentioned so far.

And throw in pay out of pocket for all your off-track excursions.

am i rite??

Barber has long since strayed from the "charge you $$$ because you tore up just the grass" type stuff. Every track makes you pay for your own wall damage and stuff though... that's unlikely to change.

I'm not huge on Barber, but its a closer tow than alot of other stuff mentioned. Little bit more forgiving than the other SE option.

actually I want VIR I understand the tow thing. I did thunderhill in '04 and it was a ride, but a heck of a fun trip.

I think RA would be a great nationals level track because it's a great track/facility, not because it's 4 miles away. If CMP was 4 miles away, I'd still hate it

MO was not bad, far from it. I was surprised how much the facilities had improved since '98 when I was there spectating (the last time I was there). There are worse places to have a nationals event, and the track is indeed challenging. I hope to make it up next year to test/do a bunch of seat time.

My pie in the sky just echos others, move it around to the other premier tracks. MO/Miller flip flop just seems a little "stale". (and I somewhat look forward to miller, just because I've never been there). JMHO

I realize there are a zillion angles/logistics/business/marketing angles for location...

I'll be happy with something fun that's only a 1 day tow. These 1,600mi one ways to Miller or 1,400mi one way to Ohio over two days blows. And its not really even the driving, but the time. When you only have 2 weeks of vacation and Nationals soaks them all up... ugh. A 3 day tow one way to Watkins or the really far off CA stuff is out of the question really. Might as well be at the Nurburgring or Bathurst at that point

I'll be happy with something fun that's only a 1 day tow. These 1,600mi one ways to Miller or 1,400mi one way to Ohio over two days blows.

You live in Texas. It's a one day tow to get OUT of Texas.