Pie in the sky rule change requests - 2012

jason

Not from Houston (and probably Dallas too) - RAtl, Barber, etc are one day tows.

But at the general sentiment. If you're headed west from here that's the damn truth for sure

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Varkwso

• TurboShortBus

• drivinhardz06

:lol: at the continuing Miller hate from people that haven't driven there / been there

In our case, It is mainly the long-ass haul and how expensive the hotels are around there more than anything else!

It is a 1 day 7 hour drive for us to get to MidOhio and we were able to stay at the local Hampton for free with points!!! (big money savings there).

When I looked into Miller (to see if we could afford it), it was a 2 day drive minimum, hotels were much more expensive (no Hampton option available with points there) and it appeared to be a mostly HP friendly track (even more so than MidOhio). It was 3 strikes... (the 1st 2 trumped all else)

All the "NASA" hotels they had for the past few years are too expensive, if you go out on your own you can find some good ones at pretty good weekly rates. And I recall there being several Hilton options as well, just none super close to the track.

Its not bad hp friendly, and like that'd be a disadvantage with your cars anyway. I've seen your dyno! T1,2,3,4 complex are fast fast fast corners, gotta be able to handle. Copule other areas where you've gotta handle - needs brakes too. Those sections are linked with small straights though except for the main straight, so it's not like Mid-O where the whole first half of the lap is HP and the last half of the lap is handling. The whole lap is more of a mix. With my whopping 117whp at sea level it was fine... and I probably had the 4th or 5th most power / 4th or 5th best hp-weight ratio in my class out of 6 and still crossed the line 3rd after being punted.

And boo hoo about it being a 2 day drive I've only had a one day drive to Nationals when I lived in SC and drove the car I was competiting with to the track! Miller even for the CA people is still 600-700mi, and sure beats the 2,200 to 2,400mi they've had to do for Mid-Ohio.

..Its not bad hp friendly, and like that'd be a disadvantage with your cars anyway. I've seen your dyno! ..

And boo hoo about it being a 2 day drive

^ HP to weight ratio.. it is what evens out the playing field... how much does your car weigh? hmm?

Ours is a heavy pig at 2744

The interesting thing is we tend to get the same lap times as a typical middle-of-the-pack Spec Miata in the g20.. the hp to weight ratio factors in obviously.... Plus the Toyo RA1 slows down the miata compared to the hoosier's we get to use on the g20 (we noticed faster lap times in our own miata when using hoosiers when running it in PTE for example)...

The Hampton at MidO is literally a 15 to 20 minute drive away.. when I looked into it at Miller, the drive was more like 45 minutes to an hour (that sux IMHO) Plus a Hilton costs more than a Hampton.

And it comes down to personal choice obviously. We just don't see the appeal in driving 2 days to get to Miller AND paying more for a hotel that is farther away, etc. We get about 15mpg towing the pig heavy g20... makes a big difference in cost going to MidO vs. Miller for us anyway. Plus that cost factor of 2 extra overnight hotel stays PLUS scheduling 2 extra days off work for travel time, etc. ...ERGO, personal choice when Miller is presented and why our g20 wasn't there when it was at Miller

Your adjusted hp/weight is way better than mine. Quit complaining besides top end is horsepower vs aero anyway.

PS - we do the Hilton/Hampton Inn points thing as well - they're under the same company in the end... you should shop both, I've found Hilton/HGI/etc cheaper than Hampton Inn stuff quite a few times, esp if they're not busy in that timeframe...

Hilton costs more points and no free breakfast (ergo more expense involved)

Well, the prospect of Miller is years away regardless...

I am pretty sure I heard that the next 2 years of Nationals will be at MidOhio (unless I heard wrong?)

...no way to tell where we will be in 2014 and if we even have the g20 or even going to the track by then

Just to throw it out there, Laguna will not be a possibility for a National event. They only have a handful of "open" exhaust days per year. Those are taken by Indy, GA, ALMS, MotoGP, Historics and usually a SCCA national qualifier. The paddock is to small to hold a really big event. NASA does not even have a race weekend there anymore. I think they have 1 or 2 mid week HPDE events at 92db.

Infineon aka Sears Point has the facility to hold the Nationals. I think it would be a superior "National" track over Laguna as far as highlighting driver skill/commitment (pucker factor) and car handling.

Laguna does have a few pucker corners T6 and everything between the corkscrew and front straight. Laguna is nice because the track is ultra smooth.

From SF to Miller is approx 800 miles

I'm pretty sure no one is going to like this idea...but:

Why not have both an "East" and a "West" championship each year? Considering most people (except the die-hards) don't want to drive more than say 12 hours to get to Nats, this would be one way to allow most everyone to have a multi-region championship 'in range' for them to compete at. That said, I think the main reason people wouldn't want this is because then their award doesn't say National champion, it just says "you're better than one half of the US." Just throwing ideas out there though.

I would think that the different regions would be in favor of this as well since it means that they would benifit from the extra attention that a National Championship race would mean. I just threw out those 4 tracks as an example - you could easily add/delete any of those tracks that wouldn't work or would work out better. The Glen, Sebring, Austin F1, Infineon would all be other tracks to consiter, plus trying the North, South, East, West format allows you to do different tracks when it's time. The Glen one year for East and VIR in four years, same thing as for the North, Rd Am one year and Mid-O four years later, Rd Atl one year and four years later Austin, Infineon and four years later Miller. By mixing it up you are giving more regions the opportunity to host Nationals and you are also giving eveyone a "homefield advantage" every 4 years with a bonus of a shorter tow.

It's so easy to post ideas up when you don't have to worry about any of the logistics of this stuff.

^ I do believe the multi-year contract is a requirement though

notice how Miller was 2 years in a row?

MidOhio was 3 years in a row as well

..and I still swear I heard them say that Nationals will be at MidOhio for the next 2 years at one of the announcements done at Nationals this year (so they signed a 3 year contract again is my guess) <-- of course, I MIGHT have heard that wrong so perhaps someone else can confirm or correct me.

..and I still swear I heard them say that Nationals will be at MidOhio for the next 2 years at one of the announcements done at Nationals this year (so they signed a 3 year contract again is my guess) <-- of course, I MIGHT have heard that wrong so perhaps someone else can confirm or correct me.

Nope. 2013 is NOT scheduled anywhere.

I asked Greg G. at the end of Nats; assuming we'd be back at Miller for 2013 & 2014 and he said nothing was scheduled. He said they were looking and listed off most of the tracks that Joel has mentioned.