Pie in the sky rule change requests - 2012

jason

And McKay- why no 2nd and 3rd?

1 - Trophy budget. I could give typical, cheapass plastic trophies to 3 drivers per class (and I have been told by several drivers that their wives hate trophies, so we try to find alternate forms of awards), or custom-engrave a magnum-sized bottle of (relatively cheap) champagne per class champion. Also, since my TT group has money for year-end awards but the race group does not, my budget might be cut in half this year.

2 - If you want to be recognized as a champion, then you should probably drive like one. I finished 2nd in TTD last year by 10 points, and I wasn't worried about not receiving anything. It meant more to me to present higher-quality trophies to the 1st place drivers.

Frankly, if anybody else, in Florida or elsewhere, would like to coordinate the funding, design, quantity, ordering, delivery, pick-up, and presentation of our year-end awards on their own time, then be my guest. Yes, this is a sore spot with me.

Mark

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Varkwso

• TurboShortBus

• drivinhardz06

I'll be giving 2nds and 3rds The 1st is still the one to go for - its bigger, better, and says 1st on it. You really think the guy that's in 2nd or 3rd wouldn't take 1st instead if they earned it? Crazy talk. I think having the option of handing out as many trophies as local management will let me is great - it is important to me as a director to recognize the efforts of not only all the 1sts, but I also like giving some credit for 2nds and 3rds especially in the tightly contested classes. It is no small feat to end up 3rd of 20 in our TTA class for example. I've been doing this TT thing for a while, podiumed in my usual car at Nationals three times, and still don't think I could just hop in a TTA car for a season and drive well enough to make it onto the season-end podium against the rest of these guys.

Drawing the line at even just 3rd is still likely going to be a slight snub to 4th in TTA I bet, I'm fully expecting it to come down to a tiebreaker at this point looking at the 4 people (iirc) that are within ~10 points for that 3rd slot. No matter where you draw that line you'll upset someone though....

"Guidelines are ok, mandates on non-critical items are not" is what we all seem to be agreeing on here at least.

Edited by Guest

Fortunately, this is something that the regions can do as they see fit (or as they are able to do).

Note that we never had a TT trophy budget before the 2009 season, so the idea of TT championship awards down here is fairly new, and I'd like to think that I came out swinging with nice stuff.

Mark

Peter is currently leading the TTC points, and will likely have it wrapped up if the current 3rd place driver doesn't show up at Homestead next weekend (while Peter is at home watching the dog).

Mark

I'm leading TWO classes, so there

And I finished 2nd overall in the 2009 OLOA or you could say 1st loser. Now about restrictor's for Boosted cars or just class all Boosted cars in the same class. Either option works for me.

Peter

I move we split TTA into "Spec Corvette" and "Everyone Else"

actually I would love to see a SpecC5Z series like spec miata. Stock C5Z, similar to PTA, but no fancy points combo's (like "smaller" tires/fancy shocks, etc) just stock everything

leave the bushings/sway bars and front brakes and clutch open open, 295 square rubber, go.

yeah that's all we need, another class

agreed - no child left behind without their own class and 1st place trophies!

Or trophies for 2nd through 8th, with participation awards for last place, like they do for 6 year olds in tee ball!

Mark

yeah that's all we need, another class

agreed - no child left behind without their own class and 1st place trophies!

I know of 1 or 2 lightly mod'd ST2 vette's in the SE that would probably be interested in demodding to stock, and we already have 7 PTA C5's w/ cages, and 3 more being built this winter.

Would be a fun class, just when PTA was getting some momentum

If I send you $20, will you go buy some beer for your 2nd and 3rd place people and STFU about it?

Everybody gets free beer at 5:00pm on Saturdays during events, anyway.

Mark

Mark, are you for or against 1st-3rd trophies at Nationals?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but giving 1st through 3rd at the Championships seems fine, as that is a single event. Note that we only give the "baller" trophies (engraved magnum champagne bottles, etc.) for the 1st place finishers in the year-end championship in the Florida region. Regular Florida regional events get 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards, in the form of plaques (which I assemble at the end of the day, so they state the specific TT class and track location, not a generic 1st - 2nd - 3rd at an ambiguous location, as I have previously seen). I occasionally have a few drivers, including winners, who return their plaques to me for future events.

Mark

Interesting - that may be the difference then, no event awards for us (besides contingency stuff) for Racing or TT just year end. One could feasibly destroy the field for an event or three and go home with nothing to show for it but maybe some free tires if that.

I was testing you to see how consistent your logic (for lack of a better word) was

Well if you really want be that way and get into it, technically you're handing out alot more "participation awards" (your words) than I am (per event vs year end)

Re; Dyno testing and expense:

Time to get real. It's a trivial expense compared to running the car. It's half a tire, for me. Also, you get a valuable tool to use to tune your car.

Right now, the rules would support it if a regional TT director simply said "everyone will turn in a dyno sheet this year if you want to run in TT. We'll handle DE to TT moves on a case-by-case basis."

Traqmate is certainly better than nothing, of course.

Lastly, I can truthfully say that I dyno because I need to know how much weight the car needs. If you want to run close to the line, I don't see how you can and NOT use a dyno.