Pie in the sky rule change requests - 2012

jason

agreed - no child left behind without their own class and 1st place trophies!

Or trophies for 2nd through 8th, with participation awards for last place, like they do for 6 year olds in tee ball!

Mark

Tee ball has adult supervision. Big difference.

Regional season does award to third place here. You have to participate at least 4 events per the CCR.

Saturday podium gets mugs/plaques/trophies. They do it if you are class of 1 or 20.

No change needed at national level.

Spec C5Z would be larger then a lot of other existing classes.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kbrew8991

• Varkwso

• TurboShortBus

• drivinhardz06

If I send you $20, will you go buy some beer for your 2nd and 3rd place people and STFU about it?

Everybody gets free beer at 5:00pm on Saturdays during events, anyway.

Mark

Not free. Instructors pay for it. There is nothing free. Someone has to pay for it. Unless it is Florida. Then it is only free for 2nd and 3rd since they get memories...

• National Staff

51 pages....

Someone has to let me know if there is anything I actually should read in here. I've been busy getting caught up since the Championships.

51 pages....

Someone has to let me know if there is anything I actually should read in here. I've been busy getting caught up since the Championships.

Endlinks

Point bys

Tires

Traqmate

Off the top of my head.

51 pages....

we're just getting warmed up

also spread on tire points (still the same spread as now, with a reduction of one pt for all so that a * car in stock form - no other pts mods, can run it's class size in a top tier compound)

• National Staff
51 pages....

also spread on tire points (still the same spread as now, with a reduction of one pt for all so that a * car in stock form - no other pts mods, can run it's class size in a top tier compound)

Except it is by design that there are not enough points to run a top tier compound with an * vehicle (unless you downsize on the tires).

• Members
51 pages....

Oh yeah, you better go back and read this thread. if there was a thread to read, this would be the one!

51 pages....

THIS:

Overall, I think the rule set is amazingly accurate in it's base classing with the exception of the large tire size gap from TTB to TTA.

1. Adjustable end links should be a no brainer since 2 identical cars from the factory can have differing amounts of preload from the factory. Adjustable links are the only way to ensure the 2 cars are equal in it's OEM design.

2. The lap one point by rule definitley needs to be revoked.

3. A provision to allow the modification of the floor pan/tub to allow easier access for maintenance and swapping large items like differentials etc. Removable non-structural panels that maintain original shape and design would be perfect.

4. Refund or credit allowance to drivers if timing and scoring drops the ball on a session. We're here to compete - not to make laps and it's impossible to do that without an official clock. There's nothing worse than burning up a set of sticker tires and brakes for the money run, breaking a track record or putting in a winning lap only to find that the system wasn't working.

5. Footwell cage bars for added safety regardless if it penetrates the firewall (no allowance for connecting to suspension pick up points). Basically an 8 point cage should be the safety standard - not 6.

6. Separate classes for vehicles that cannot be accurately checked for compliance at the track.

WOW! I just read through this whole thing. That was exhausting. I already forgot some of the replies I was going to comment on.

It is like eating an elephant. Do it one bite at a time.

This thread has been written over the better part of 3 weeks - no way I'd try that in one sitting unless it was my job or something.

BTW - I've got another actual serious rules change request courtesy some of my TTers here in TX:

+ ___ for OEM equipped fancy flappy-paddle gearbox (DCT, DSG, Tiptronic, etc). Must be run in OEM configuration (ratios, number of gears, shifting mechanisms, etc)

Right now I've got a couple different people with new BMW M3s that get hammered for 13+ points for thier DCT trans that's maybe worth 2 or 3 pts I'd guess. Or we can separate out some listings (ie one line for standard M3, another line for the fancier M3 & trans that's an asterix higher with a lower weight, or same base with a little higher weight or something along those lines)

And I'd also like us to figure out a way we can not hammer cars with slight OEM delivered areo tweaks for quite so many points as well, but that's probably a taller order to tackle.

Try starting out at the begining of Fred and Falcons 144 pager over in the Southeast forum, it will take you a while but it's worth it you'll be laughing most of the time. Kind of like Greg reading through this thread -

Greg - rather than sift through the thread if you'd prefer us to email in (or whatever) our actual serious suggestions post up and let us all know

Greg - rather than sift through the thread if you'd prefer us to email in (or whatever) our actual serious suggestions post up and let us all know

Subject: Ban Mustangs

I'm all for a SpecC5Z class... just allow regular C5s to mod up or drop weight to be equal. I think PTA really is close to that, but your average person can get overwhelmed trying to figure out the rules and what works so they gravitate to ST-2 where the simople power/weight equation is easier to understand.

I agree with mark... 100% stock C5Z, but leave front brakes, swaybars, bushings and clutch open. 295 square spec-tire maybe an R6 for longer life vs. the an and boogie. Nobody races PTA around me and I really don't care to mod my car up to compete in ST-2.

Also, a way to fit in regular C6s would be good to i.e. Spec-Corvette

5. Footwell cage bars for added safety regardless if it penetrates the firewall (no allowance for connecting to suspension pick up points). Basically an 8 point cage should be the safety standard - not 6.

What specific cars would do this? Most of the time where I've seen foot protection added to a 6 point, what I've seen called a 6+2, the foot protection goes to the firewall. Any time I've seen the bar go through the firewall has been to tie into the suspension pickup points, that is an 8 point cage. Maybe it would make it easier to justify this kind of rule if an example of where foot protection going to just the firewall is not adequate.

I would think a dash bar combined with the extra +2 to the firewall, if designed properly and triangulated to account for crush forces properly would be adequate, and the rules allow for that.

Seperate +7 tires based on treadwear. Have 50-90 treadwear be +7 and have 100-130 treadwear be +5. Why? Because I run 100 treadwear tires and would like 2 free points to put towards brake upgrades or spherical trailing arm bushings.

Change F4 (chassis stiffening etc) to +2. Why? I have a FWD car and large rear sway. I'm already taking +2 for add/replace/MODIFY sway bars and I have to take another +3 just to ensure I don't ruin my rear subframe? PS - it is not a brace that connects the two sides of the subframe together. It is just a larger/smarter (but completely new) version of the factory mounting plates for the rear sway bar.

What specific cars would do this?

'97-'11 Corvette. Fiberglass tubs.

Most of the time where I've seen foot protection added to a 6 point, what I've seen called a 6+2, the foot protection goes to the firewall. Any time I've seen the bar go through the firewall has been to tie into the suspension pickup points, that is an 8 point cage.

Which is why I said "no allowance for connecting to suspension pick up points". You can't attach a bar to fiberglass.

What specific cars would do this?

'97-'11 Corvette. Fiberglass tubs.

Most of the time where I've seen foot protection added to a 6 point, what I've seen called a 6+2, the foot protection goes to the firewall. Any time I've seen the bar go through the firewall has been to tie into the suspension pickup points, that is an 8 point cage.

Which is why I said "no allowance for connecting to suspension pick up points". You can't attach a bar to fiberglass.

I am all for the safety of this mod!